What's new

Noble Otter First Impressions

Hi B&B!

proxy.php

I know, I know, I know... I need to wrap up my recent installment of the quality artisan shootout and start the next round. I've been a little discouraged by some of the disparaging comments I received after giving a non-glowing review of one of those soaps, so I've found myself casually exploring some of the new toys I have around my den rather than wrapping that up as I should.

I recently learned of a new artisan in our little corner of the world called Noble Otter - Shaving Soap

I learned of this soap on July 15th when the proprietor announced it on a popular news/link sharing site that I frequent. I was intrigued by the brand but didn't want to pop on a full tub. A week ago today the company announced newly available samples so I took a flier on two of their three scents.

Ingredients
Stearic Acid, Water, Beef Tallow, Castor Oil, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Lanolin, Sodium Hydroxide, Kokum Butter, Fragrance, Tussah Silk

The soap comes in unscented (Bare) as well as three scented varieties, BarrBarr, Flying Hide, and Northern Elixir.

I recently ordered a soap from another new artisan, Victory Soaps, that reminded me of Flying Hide so I opted for BarrBarr and Norther Elixir.

proxy.php

I purchased the two 1/2 oz samples and the took nearly a week to arrive from Texas to Florida.

I tried the BarrBarr tonight and here are my first impressions:

- The lather is nice! This soap excels with a mid-range hydration level and was easy as pie to dial in

- The post-shave feel is silky smooth. I'm actually considering grabbing a full tub of one of the scents to toss in the quality artisan shootout based on the post-shave feel. I splashed on Fine's American Blend and can't quit rubbing my chops to appreciate the glassy smoothness.

- Slickness was great! I'm not usually much of a "residual slickness" guy but I got the impression you could do 2 passes for every 1 lathering. This isn't a feature I seek out but I did take advantage of the opportunity to slip in a little buffing with my Blackland Sabre and GEM PTFE.

- The scent... welp... the scent. I understand this is subjective. I wasn't a fan but I suspect this scent will be popular with many other B&B users. BarrBarr is Noble Otter's take on the classic barbershop scent. I got the powdery side of Clubman mixed with a healthy dose of baby powder, which for me, wasn't a true winner. If you like powder, you need to try a sample of BarrBarr. The Northern Elixir seems far more up my alley at first whiff. Scent strength is medium-high... no irritation from fragrance oils but I could pick out different elements of the scent throughout my shave.

proxy.php

What's next?
This is the end of the road for myself and BarrBarr. I'm going to take the Northern Elixir for a spin or two then pass these along to a pair of forum pals that I consider to be excellent reviewers. Depending on what happens with Noble Otter's scents, I'd can definitely picture myself grabbing a full tub sometime down the line. If you're up for something new, give this one a try, I think you'll like it!

I've been a little discouraged by some of the disparaging comments I received after giving a non-glowing review of one of those soaps

I hope nothing I wrote came across that way. If so, I apologize. You were honest and gave a review of what you experienced. Can't ask for more than that. When you feel like it. I look forward to the next installment. :001_smile

I know, I know, I know... I need to wrap up my recent installment of the quality artisan shootout and start the next round. I've been a little discouraged by some of the disparaging comments I received after giving a non-glowing review of one of those soaps

Seriously.....Grow up up people. So Mr Soap didn't like your soap, whoopde doo. Variety is the spice of life not everybody will like the same things. Opinions are like you know what, everybody has one, and not everybody's will be the same. If you can't keep it constructive then go kick rocks. It's soap don't take it personally lol. Is Mr Soap a expert? No. Am I an expert? No. Is anybody and expert? No. People are giving their opinions, take it for what it's worth.

I've been on some other forums and frankly they are dead, we are lucky to have an active forum here and that there's guys that take time out of their lives to give their opinions in detailed reviews, it's time consuming believe me. I try to do some when I can, I like to experiment with new soaps and try new things. I'm a single dad of two and my time is seriously limited, so if I take the time to do a a detailed review of a particular soap and there's disagreement, as long as it's constructive, hey that's cool. If I get flooded with pm's from people who's poor little feelings got hurt because i didn't like their soap, then I will share some choice words and you can enjoy the time on my ignore list. 'Nuff said

EDIT: sorry to sidetrack the thread but it needed to be said. Looks like some great lather!

Last edited:
I hope nothing I wrote came across that way. If so, I apologize. You were honest and gave a review of what you experienced. Can't ask for more than that. When you feel like it. I look forward to the next installment. :001_smile
Of course not, far from it in fact! You and a few others saved that tub of soap from its destiny in the trash can. Thanks for your contributions and advice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Seriously.....Grow up up people. So Mr Soap didn't like your soap, whoopde doo. Variety is the spice of life not everybody will like the same things. Opinions are like you know what, everybody has one, and not everybody's will be the same. If you can't keep it constructive then go kick rocks. It's soap don't take it personally lol. Is Mr Soap a expert? No. Am I an expert? No. Is anybody and expert? No. People are giving their opinions, take it for what it's worth.

I've been on some other forums and frankly they are dead, we are lucky to have an active forum here and that there's guys that take time out of their lives to give their opinions in detailed reviews, it's time consuming believe me. I try to do some when I can, I like to experiment with new soaps and try new things. I'm a single dad of two and my time is seriously limited, so if I take the time to do a a detailed review of a particular soap and there's disagreement, as long as it's constructive, hey that's cool. If I get flooded with pm's from people who's poor little feelings got hurt because i didn't like their soap, then I will share some choice words and you can enjoy the time on my ignore list. 'Nuff said

EDIT: sorry to sidetrack the thread but it needed to be said. Looks like some great lather!

Thanks to Mr. Soap for his extensive reviews and not to high jack the thread further but this talk of experts made me laugh.
I cut myself shaving the other day and my wife overheard some comments coming from the bathroom. She asked me if I was talking to myself. I responded by saying "Yes, that's where I go for expert advice!". She promptly responded, if you were an expert you wouldn't have cut yourself. Ouch, that hurt worse that the cut!

Terrific review!

I find reviews that contain some constructive (and informed) comments/criticism more useful than reviews that praise every (often average, and most products are indeed average) product to the skies! Just my opinion, of course!

Top Bottom