What's new

Slippery grips

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Why do razor manufacturers still make razors with slippery grips? This even applies to some of the high end razors. I would think that would be on the requirements list for designing a new razor. I have quite a few razors that require the fingers on the alum block trick or choking up so that I am not worried about a slip.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
1647263382889.png
This is my razor handle (although I have the WR1 head). It is fairly robust in grip, but I still do a quick dry of the hands before picking up the razor - which ends up to be quite a few times over the course of a shave, but only takes 2 seconds. While I wouldn't claim my hands were completely dry after that amount of time on a towel, it does seem to make a big difference.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have two razors. The Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution and the RazoRock Lupo DE Aluminum. The Lupo grip was horrible for me... short and slippery. When I ordered the Claymore Evo I ordered two extra Evolution handles.... one for me and one for our youngest son who gave me the Lupo so he could replace his handle as well. It makes all the difference in the world.

I love the Claymore Evo handle. It has some heft to it, being stainless steel and the design works well for my hand. I've never felt like I might drop it or have it slip while shaving.

I definitely prefer razors with machined handles to assure a good grip! (My favorite is Wolfman’s WRH2.)

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Because the arthritis in my thumbs occasionally acts up, I purchased a Rex Envoy because of it's grippy knurling. I wasn't disappointed.

There have been a lot of complaints about the Leaf razor, especially from people who use them in the shower. Leaf came out with a $5 silicone sleeve to address the issue.

I just used my leaf with silicone grip for a head shave in the shower. It works nicely. The angle of the leaf is different than the fusion cartridge I am used to. The leaf gives a closer shave but I usually get a nick or two. The alum bar seals it up though.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Why do razor manufacturers still make razors with slippery grips? This even applies to some of the high end razors. I would think that would be on the requirements list for designing a new razor. I have quite a few razors that require the fingers on the alum block trick or choking up so that I am not worried about a slip.

I couldn't agree more! I would think that one of the main requirements of a razor, is a non slip handle, as I think we all know how dangerous a slippery handle would be, when a razor blade is involved! You would think with all that expensive R&D research that manufactures have to do, they would discover this. And this is just one of the reasons why I, as the consumer, do their extra due diligence, and pickout a razor that has a high grip handle.

I don't know, but rubbing your fingers with alum block will solve the issue.
So will keeping your fingers and the handle DRY. When you rinse the head during a shave, be careful to have only the head (not the handle and the fingers) have contact with the water. Gently shake the razor twice to dispel water between rinses.

Maybe have a small towel readily available on top of the sink area to insure dryness.

Yep.that’s what I do and it solves the problem. Not every one has an alum block.☹️
True enough. I agree that manufacturers should do a better job with handles. Perhaps it's a choice of form (aesthetics) over function.

That said, I have some razors (currently the Leaf Twig - the latest addition to my den) that I love except for the grip. To me, I can overlook that in lieu of otherwise superb razors.

Top Bottom