What's new

Slingshots / Catapults

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Do you give them catnip? I read it’s supposed to calm them, but it makes my guy act meaner and crazier?

Ah, excellent question! Our cat is immune to catnip's effects. She normally chews on any houseplant, expressly will not touch the Catnip plant. One third of cats don't care for it.

Our cat that passed, loved the stuff. Made her wacky for a bit, then they "reset" and ignore for a while.

For $3.50 at Loews, get a plant and find out.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Ah, excellent question! Our cat is immune to catnip's effects. She normally chews on any houseplant, expressly will not touch the Catnip plant. One third of cats don't care

Our cat that passed, loved the stuff. Made her wacky for a bit, then they "reset" and ignore for a while.

For $3.50 at Loews, get a plant and find out.

AA

He hasn’t had the fresh stuff yet, but when he gets the dry stuff inside the toy mouses?

He starts running wild and crazy all night long. Like a crackhead.

Any updates?

I moved to the country a while back, so I have been getting back into plinking. I have miles of deserted bushland near my house to walk in, and a good sized yard for target shooting. My shed even has plenty of room if the weather is bad.

I was shooting yesterday, and my two year old assistant was helping out, passing me a new marble after each shot, then helping pick them all up and putting them back in the jar. Good times.

I also have some workshop space now, so when I find some suitable wood I'll cut a few new board cut models to play with.

Nice!

My slingshotting has taken a back seat. We have welcomed chickens into the family menagerie, and these guys are strictly free range hahaha. Means opportunities for plinking in the back garden are now very limited. We also acquired a new pup - a Belgian Malinois who is crazy. Not a dog you can easily keep from wandering onto the range.

On the pest front however, we had a bit of a shock recently - the missus mentioned a mouse in the compost bin in the yard. Went out with her to take a look, and damn it's a big 'mouse'. Rattus rattus, without a doubt. I got hold of it and let the pup take a bite - she let it go and didn't seem to understand that yes, kill is a good behaviour here. I caught it again and stoved its head.

Of course where there's one there's more. So I was delighted (and also had some pride in my step @OkieStubble ;)) when my lass pointed out a cold rat corpse on the grass near the compost bin this morning. Big chunk missing from the rat's thorax. Could have only been the pup.

Hahaha we were at the park a week ago and the pup was off the leash. Two old ladies enquired disapprovingly 'is that your dog? She nearly got a squirrel'. They weren't impressed when I reacted with 'oh really? Fair play!' I pointed out that these are a pest. They sniffed and walked off :ladysman:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nice!

My slingshotting has taken a back seat. We have welcomed chickens into the family menagerie, and these guys are strictly free range hahaha. Means opportunities for plinking in the back garden are now very limited. We also acquired a new pup - a Belgian Malinois who is crazy. Not a dog you can easily keep from wandering onto the range.

On the pest front however, we had a bit of a shock recently - the missus mentioned a mouse in the compost bin in the yard. Went out with her to take a look, and damn it's a big 'mouse'. Rattus rattus, without a doubt. I got hold of it and let the pup take a bite - she let it go and didn't seem to understand that yes, kill is a good behaviour here. I caught it again and stoved its head.

Of course where there's one there's more. So I was delighted (and also had some pride in my step @OkieStubble ;)) when my lass pointed out a cold rat corpse on the grass near the compost bin this morning. Big chunk missing from the rat's thorax. Could have only been the pup.

Sounds like you have a great place and environment for your Belgium Malinois. I have always loved working breed dogs. We had German Shepherds growing up and then I switched to Rottweilers when I got married and had kids.

Our youngest moved off to college in 2015 and we sold the 4 bedroom house with the 1.5 acre backyard in 2019 and moved into a smaller home in a gated community. The two Rottweilers went to live with my son and his family and our Daschund, who was the oldest came with us. She passed away 6 months after the move.

I think being in a new place and not having her long time responsibility and job of keeping the Rotts inline was too much for her. So about a year ago or so, we got ourselves a female Belgium Malinois that was about 12 months old. She was a police department candidate and had already had quite a bit of training, from the department, but was rejected 9 months into her training for some reason.

They usually put down K-9's who have been rejected once they have received any bite training, but the Lt. over the Kennel, back door sold her to me for the awesome cheap price of $700. She did great the first month with us. Her being highly trained made her very obedient.

Until about somewhere in the second month, she realized, A. she wasn't at a police training facility anymore, B. She realized, I didn't know what I was doing when it came to keeping her on the straight and narrow and C. She realized, she was much smarter than the wife or myself put together.

By two months in, she owned and was the boss of the house and us. It just came down, to not having enough space, enough time and enough activity for a highly energetic, highly trained animal that needs and thrives on having a purpose in life. We finally gave her away to a nephew of mine, who actually has a small farm and raises and trains and sales German Shepherds himself. We actually just seen her last weekend and she is just at 2 years old now and is a very beautiful and very happy dog.

It's funny to see her long tongue hanging out one side of her mouth while she is smiling. :) So it worked out for everyone involved. Now we have a cat, which works out much better for a couple of old people in a small 2 bedroom house. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom