What's new

Slingshots / Catapults

Hello gentlemen,

So the UK is in lockdown, and I'm getting creative with options to pass the time in a semi-constructive way. Obviously DIY / home & garden maintenance are ongoing, but for a bit of fun I've decided to revive an old pastime - shooting with a slingshot (or a catapult as they're known here). Some good memories of the adventures I had poaching when I was about 13.

Interested to see how bands have changed - apparently the surgical rubber tubing I had on my old slingshot is very inaccurate, and most shooters are now using flat bands.

I've bought a pair: a double-banded over the top hand-made in UK from marine ply, and a thermoplastic US-made catapult that can change from OTT to through the forks. Nothing fancy, there's no wrist braces, trigger releases or laser sights. That particular rabbit hole won't be explored (for a while at least). I'll be shooting 9.5mm steel, and for back garden plinking 10mm clay balls.

I'd like to become confident with a tight grouping, then when circumstances allow, go and get some small game for the pot.

Any tips? Any other shooters?

Luke

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I do from time to time. @brucered is pretty into it...he's sent me a few he's made and I have my old Wham-0 from when I was a kid. We get bands and such from SimpleShot.

@simon1 - thank you. The thermoplastic catapult is actually a Simpleshot Axiom Ocularis: it looked well-built and in his YouTube vids Nathan Masters promotes good ethical hunting practices, which I respect. It wasn't dirt-cheap after import duty and handling fees, but should last a fair while.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hello gentlemen,

So the UK is in lockdown, and I'm getting creative with options to pass the time in a semi-constructive way. Obviously DIY / home & garden maintenance are ongoing, but for a bit of fun I've decided to revive an old pastime - shooting with a slingshot (or a catapult as they're known here). Some good memories of the adventures I had poaching when I was about 13.

Interested to see how bands have changed - apparently the surgical rubber tubing I had on my old slingshot is very inaccurate, and most shooters are now using flat bands.

I've bought a pair: a double-banded over the top hand-made in UK from marine ply, and a thermoplastic US-made catapult that can change from OTT to through the forks. Nothing fancy, there's no wrist braces, trigger releases or laser sights. That particular rabbit hole won't be explored (for a while at least). I'll be shooting 9.5mm steel, and for back garden plinking 10mm clay balls.

I'd like to become confident with a tight grouping, then when circumstances allow, go and get some small game for the pot.

Luke
Thanks for the thread. My neighbors used to shoot rabbits all the time with slingshots.

I never did, but not for lack of trying.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I need to get my catchbox out and shoot a bit...haven't in a coupe of years. Bruce has a thread from a few years ago with pictures of him making a few...well, several.

He sent me a nice natural one and three or four that he made out of a plastic cutting board. One of the plastic ones is my favorite...this one:

1587144979531.png

Hello gentlemen,

Luke

The popular flats bands nowadays seem to be..Gzk..Precise..sumeike..simpleshot..and then the old school pure amber latex and theraband gold. Lots of practice is key..and have fun doin it.

I think that’s the first I’ve heard anyone else call them catapults.
My friends and I used them to hit mangoes down from the trees during summer. They were also great for keeping crows away from homemade vadam/vadagam that our mothers used to keep on the terrace to dry, and it was our job to keep the birds away.
I grew up in a small town (India) and we used to have gypsies pass through during the summer. They’d sell catapults amongst other things on the street.
The best frames they used to say were made from Guava wood as it were flexible and the straps looked like Foley’s catheters.
Nothing fancy and they cost mere paisa 25-30 years ago.
They were very good with them and could hit small animals/birds from a decent distance.
You’ve brought back great memories with this thread.:)

Legion

Staff member
I live in a apartment in the middle of Melbourne now, so I no longer have anywhere to shoot, but when I lived in a more rural area I was bigtime into making and shooting slingshots, or Shanghai's as they were known when I was a kid.

When I started they were the traditional tree fork models, but as I progressed with the hobby I moved to board cut, with over the top latex flat bands.

photo_slingshot_dave2.jpg
IMG_0271.jpg

I think that’s the first I’ve heard anyone else call them catapults.
My friends and I used them to hit mangoes down from the trees during summer. They were also great for keeping crows away from homemade vadam/vadagam that our mothers used to keep on the terrace to dry, and it was our job to keep the birds away.
I grew up in a small town (India) and we used to have gypsies pass through during the summer. They’d sell catapults amongst other things on the street.
The best frames they used to say were made from Guava wood as it were flexible and the straps looked like Foley’s catheters.
Nothing fancy and they cost mere paisa 25-30 years ago.
They were very good with them and could hit small animals/birds from a decent distance.
You’ve brought back great memories with this thread.:)

Wonderful! The catapult is evocative for me so I'm glad this brought back good memories for you; we never had mangoes to shoot though...

I live in a apartment in the middle of Melbourne now, so I no longer have anywhere to shoot, but when I lived in a more rural area I was bigtime into making and shooting slingshots, or Shanghai's as they were known when I was a kid.

When I started they were the traditional tree fork models, but as I progressed with the hobby I moved to board cut, with over the top latex flat bands.

View attachment 1088275View attachment 1088276

Loving the simplicity and artistry of the slingshots shown on the thread so far - you can see the care and individuality. I'm no good with woodworking, but can really see the appeal of making one to match my hand as you and @Toms_goat have done. Sorry you've nowhere to shoot - could you set up an indoor range with a low-powered catapult? I've seen some videos where people have put up bedsheets and a catch-box.

Legion

Staff member
Loving the simplicity and artistry of the slingshots shown on the thread so far - you can see the care and individuality. I'm no good with woodworking, but can really see the appeal of making one to match my hand as you and @Toms_goat have done. Sorry you've nowhere to shoot - could you set up an indoor range with a low-powered catapult? I've seen some videos where people have put up bedsheets and a catch-box.

possibly, but I share my small apartment with a wife and toddler, so tricky. Maybe once the kiddo is old enough we might have a yard, and I will teach her some skills.

Used to walk around and shoot mailboxes, abandoned windows, and bottles for fun as a kid. Havent used one for hunting, but certainly will be now

Legion

Staff member
Any updates?

I moved to the country a while back, so I have been getting back into plinking. I have miles of deserted bushland near my house to walk in, and a good sized yard for target shooting. My shed even has plenty of room if the weather is bad.

I was shooting yesterday, and my two year old assistant was helping out, passing me a new marble after each shot, then helping pick them all up and putting them back in the jar. Good times.

I also have some workshop space now, so when I find some suitable wood I'll cut a few new board cut models to play with.

Top Bottom