What's new

Slickest shaving soap or cream?

Hi all! I'm looking for glide factor! Lather, yes, but glide moreso. Right now, using a Weck sextoblade, my go-to combo is Stirling pre-shave oil and Oleo Soapworks "Shepherd" soap. Lathers well, decently slick.

Does anyone know of a slicker soap or cream? I'm talking like Cremo slick, but with decent lather.

I am a big fan of Stirling for slick shaving soaps. It is what I measure all others against and it comes in many great scents.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I find Mystic Water soaps to be very slick. I love their soap sticks.

Hawk_Mystic Water.JPG

I can vouch for Stirling. I prefer slick over fluffy and IMV they are one of the slickest. Also a large variety of scents. I have 7 in my rotation. Good stuff at a good price.

Keep enough water in it and they are all pretty slick these days. The type of razor you use absolutely impacts it as well. For example, some razors heads hold a little more water adding to the lubrication with each stroke.

You mention Cremo... you can create terrific “super lathers” by adding a little Cremo to the mix. Aloe Vera gel also can be used to create a slick mix!

Water is definitely key. I go for super slick, thin but dense lather. The slickest I have found are Murphy & McNeil, A&E, Shannons, Stirling and Wholly Kaw. There are a few I am forgetting here though.

For soaps that I like the scent on, but have sub par slickness, I add a squirt of Kiss My Face unscented shave cream, it works wonders!

Hi all! I'm looking for glide factor! Lather, yes, but glide moreso. Right now, using a Weck sextoblade, my go-to combo is Stirling pre-shave oil and Oleo Soapworks "Shepherd" soap. Lathers well, decently slick.

Does anyone know of a slicker soap or cream? I'm talking like Cremo slick, but with decent lather.

If you want thick, cushiony lather you are probably going to have to stick with traditional soaps. The really slick creams tend to not be as thick or have as much cushion as soaps. They are more like shave gel in terms of the kind of lather produced.

I've tried a few lesser known artisan shave creams or creams that don't get as much currency. Weishi shaving cream performed well with my Gillette Tech. Cremo also makes a lathering shave cream. I also buy shaving cream from an eBay vendor:

What I really like about this style of cream is the post-shave skin conditioning, they are better for sensitive skin than traditional shaving soaps because they typically don't have as high pH, which means they disturb the skin barrier less.

If you want thick, cushiony lather you are probably going to have to stick with traditional soaps. The really slick creams tend to not be as thick or have as much cushion as soaps. They are more like shave gel in terms of the kind of lather produced.

I've tried a few lesser known artisan shave creams or creams that don't get as much currency. Weishi shaving cream performed well with my Gillette Tech. Cremo also makes a lathering shave cream. I also buy shaving cream from an eBay vendor:

What I really like about this style of cream is the post-shave skin conditioning, they are better for sensitive skin than traditional shaving soaps because they typically don't have as high pH, which means they disturb the skin barrier less.

I have not measured the pH of any soaps or creams. However, I suspect some traditional soaps do have high pH.

A lot of the artisan soaps are superfatted. That means that more fats are added to the formula than can be saponified by the sodium and potassium hydroxide used. Since the lye is consumed, these soaps will be less disruptive to your skin barrier. Also many of the artisan soaps are specifically designed to moisturize and nourish your skin. I have sensitive skin and love the way my face feels after using the better artisan soaps.

The cream you listed from the Ebay site contains the following ingredients: Glycerin, Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sorbitol, Propylene glycol, Disodium Lauryl sulfosuccinate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (fragrance). It does contain glycerin and stearic acid, but is otherwise detergent based.

The Diazolidinyl Urea is a preservative that releases formaldehyde and is best to be avoided.

Likewise iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, also used as a preservative, is known to be a toxic substance. Its use is highly regulated.

I have not measured the pH of any soaps or creams. However, I suspect some traditional soaps do have high pH.

A lot of the artisan soaps are superfatted. That means that more fats are added to the formula than can be saponified by the sodium and potassium hydroxide used. Since the lye is consumed, these soaps will be less disruptive to your skin barrier. Also many of the artisan soaps are specifically designed to moisturize and nourish your skin. I have sensitive skin and love the way my face feels after using the better artisan soaps.

The cream you listed from the Ebay site contains the following ingredients: Glycerin, Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sorbitol, Propylene glycol, Disodium Lauryl sulfosuccinate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (fragrance). It does contain glycerin and stearic acid, but is otherwise detergent based.

The Diazolidinyl Urea is a preservative that releases formaldehyde and is best to be avoided.

Likewise iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, also used as a preservative, is known to be a toxic substance. Its use is highly regulated.

It's a wash-off product. Diazolidinyl urea sensitivities are no more common than any other preservative, and it's never been linked to any serious illness, such as cancer. It's been used in other sensitive skin products. And it's preferable to getting a skin infection.

Superfatted soaps and glycerin soaps are a very primitive, early way of improving soap's tolerability. Now days you will very rarely find a dermatologist enthusiastic about the benefits of soap for sensitive skin.

Soaps- La Toja, Tabac, MWF, Cella and Lather Bros.
Creams- Art of Shaving, La Toja (unbelievably slick),Ingrams and Proraso Single Edge Series.

Top Bottom