What's new

Slicing and scything

Advanced technique. SR shaver here.

I scythe ATG on my neck w/ my non-dominant hand and wouldn’t get a BBS shave there otherwise. Discovered the trick completely by accident one day.

Advanced technique

There is another benefit to the Gillette slide that comes into play esp. with artist club razors. AC blades are too wide for certain areas, like sideways along my neck. A Gslide reduces the width of the razor’s path, in my case by about 1/3rd.

When I think of scythe it reminds me of hours of using these...
1600356077931.png

Advanced technique

There is another benefit to the Gillette slide that comes into play esp. with artist club razors. AC blades are too wide for certain areas, like sideways along my neck. A Gslide reduces the width of the razor’s path, in my case by about 1/3rd.
Ooh, my. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to give that a try with my Artist Club tomorrow. My neck can be tricky with non smiling razors (like my SS and K. Capt kimasori)

As I have said before on B&B, I am a klutz. I have little coordination and being right handed, it means my left hand is so uncoordinated that I don’t trust it with a steak knife, much less a razor. So I shave the left side of my face and neck backhanded (yet another reason I don’t use a straight). Since I’m also a chubby boy, okay fat, I have trouble reaching the left side of my face with my right hand. When I do, I can’t hold the razor perpendicular to the direction of travel. This ends up that I do the Gillette Slide on the left side of my face. Not surprisingly, the left side usually ends up closer and smoother than the right. I think I’m going to try the slide over on the right tonight. Hopefully, I won’t end up with a Heidelberg Scar.

As I have said before on B&B, I am a klutz. I have little coordination and being right handed, it means my left hand is so uncoordinated that I don’t trust it with a steak knife, much less a razor. So I shave the left side of my face and neck backhanded (yet another reason I don’t use a straight). Since I’m also a chubby boy, okay fat, I have trouble reaching the left side of my face with my right hand. When I do, I can’t hold the razor perpendicular to the direction of travel. This ends up that I do the Gillette Slide on the left side of my face. Not surprisingly, the left side usually ends up closer and smoother than the right. I think I’m going to try the slide over on the right tonight. Hopefully, I won’t end up with a Heidelberg Scar.
Hey, Tex, don't worry I only use my right hand too. I imagine most only use their dominant hand.

Hey, Tex, don't worry I only use my right hand too. I imagine most only use their dominant hand.
I don't understand how it could be easier for somebody not to switch hands. YMMV thing, I suppose. I don't mind switching hands at all...in fact I really don't consciously notice when I do switch.

I don't understand how it could be easier for somebody not to switch hands. YMMV thing, I suppose. I don't mind switching hands at all...in fact I really don't consciously notice when I do switch.
Ambidextrous. My best friends' brother is, bats right, catches and throws left, played golf leftie except putted right. Never knew anyone else ambidextrous. It's rare.

Seems as it wouldn’t matter when you’re cutting round things. With or against the grain is all you really have.

Top Bottom