What's new

slant safety razor

does anyone with a slant safety razor think it's better and actually makes a difference to your shave or is it just a gimmick 🪒🤔

Popular enough that people are slanting non-slants!

Wanton destruction

does anyone with a slant safety razor think it's better and actually makes a difference to your shave or is it just a gimmick 🪒🤔
Not all slants are the same. Some are very mild, others much less so. Slants I have tried have been effective for me. Especially good if you have not shaved for a day or two, or if your beard grows in all different directions.

If you want to try one inexpensively, there is the Razorock German 37, a three piece that shaves like the older generation Merkur 37. Only $20 for the complete razor or $12 for the head by itself. Excellent deal. Alternatively, the all-brass Fatip Lo Storto Originale runs about 20 quid from Connaught Shaving in the UK.

Both my Hoffritz vintage slant and my Fatip Open Comb Slant (that Atlantic59 mentioned) seem to shave me more closely without irritation than any of my other razors. Which include the fabled Gillette Slim, Red Tip, Tech, and NEW Short Comb, and the Merkur Progress. Not by enough of a margin that I would get rid of the others, but it seems noticeable.

I find that slants offer a nice variation to my razor collection. I can usually get closer shaves for a given blade gap with a slant and some slants (such as the ATT S1 Wunderbar and Fatip OC and SB) are very smooth shavers for their level of efficiency. So yes, I would argue that they do offer a noticeable difference and are far from being a gimmick.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Go for the Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Fatip Open Comb Slant aka FOCS 🦊 ).

Gold:
20201023_075614~2.jpg

Chrome:
20201020_124341~2.jpg
20200930_143511~2.jpg

Efficient, effective and smooth. :cool:

Just my opinion.

I have a FaTip slant and love it, but IMO it doesn't shave any differently than my FaTip Grande. They're essentially identical except that one is slanted, so it's an apples to apples comparison. Both are great shavers. I think the main difference is the slant has an added cool factor.

Earlier I had super coarse beard (because of magnesium deficiency because of my medical condition) and slants tugged noticeable less than normal razors. I think they have an effect. Also the blade rigidity the torque gives helps.

During spring 2017 I found my RAD-killer and it is a slant. I have done almost every single shave since then with this slant.

The FOCS seems to be in a magic zone. It has almost no gap so it is very mild. The blade is solidly clamped, torqued and bent well which makes the blade stiff and with the open comb it is very efficient. It truly is hard to get a razor this smooth and simultaneously efficient.

The Wunderbar in comparison has more gap and can easily remove skin if you forget yourself. It is as efficient as a laser and is as precise as the hands guiding it. Don’t even think about it if you’re in a hurry.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have tried only one slant razor which is a vintage Hoffritz. To be honest for me the shave is nothing special and it is bulky for use on the upper lip. I keep it and use it only because it is a very pretty razor in a lovey case and it adds variety to my rotation, but I much prefer my non slanted razors. I believe the Merkur 37C has the exact same head but the modern ones have a scalloped cap.

hs.jpg

Top Bottom