What's new

Slant razor recommendations

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I don't have a FOCS. A modern razor shouldn't give any "options" to how the blade fits in it. Just a quirk of mine, I admit.

Depends what you like. There's a thread out there asking for ranking of slants from mildest to most aggressive. Might look around for that; it's active.

If you're looking for something "like" the Parker, then a RazoRock German 37 is that smooth. If you think the Parker's just a little bland, then a Merkur 37C will step it up a notch. If you think the Parker may occasionally be a little more razor than you're in for, check out the iKon X3. If you have topnotch technique and the ability to narrow your concentration to a laser-like focus, it's Wunderbar time.

If you're looking for something a little more aggressive, but still want to be able to take your mind off the shave occasionally, then the ATT S2 does that for me.

My choices reflect my preferences.

O.H.

If you like vintage bakelite slants there are 2 NOS ones on the 'Bay from a German vendor going by "actishaves" whose store is called 'actishaves barber shop'. Type "Bakelite slant" into the search engine of the site to see 'em, eh?

Thanks for your quick replies. It appears from the half dozen of you that chimed in...there's a clear consensus...get the FOCS. Its price tag, $30 US, will make the purchase that much easier. I'm not much for open-comb razors...do you think the closed comb version would provide a similar experience for someone like myself whose facial hair doesn't require an OC to deal with it?
An open comb is more about lather handling than whiskers. More lather available more comfort. I sold all my solid bars.

The FOCS has landed! Shave with it this morning and it was nicely smooth and comfortable. Perhaps with a better blade, it may even better! The razor finish is not that great but the fit was good. No blade alignment issues that I can see so far.
20201127_170530.jpg

20201128_115255.jpg

I have a FOCS, 37C, X3, and a S1. For me the ATT S1 beats them all for smoothness and closeness. It’s a great razor. The others shave well too but the S1 is a step above for me.

For the money, 🦊 is king of the slants.

The WB though is my favorite of all DEs.

@Cal and @Klinker have about convinced me to try a Fine Accoutrements slant.

The El Fantasma with a shim is a very good razor, without (for me anyway) it is meh.

The PBOCS with a shim on top of the blade is also very good but without is a chatterbox.

I wish Fine had a sale going on and I’d probably take the dive.

Top Bottom