What's new

Slant or Straight

I have been using a double edged razor for about a year now and really like the results. I was just wondering what the next step is...

Straight or slant razor.

Thanks.

I have been using a double edged razor for about a year now and really like the results. I was just wondering what the next step is...

Straight or slant razor.

Thanks.

I went with a Sledgehammer Slant after about 6 months of trying various DEs. Now, that and my trusty Merkur HD are all the razors that I need to cover every shaving situation.

I have a handful of straight razors already, but I didn't relish the time and labor intensive effort needed to maintain them.

Why not try the Slant first? The cost is going to be far less than acquiring a straight edge razor and the associated peripherals - strop, paste, etc., and if you don't like, it will sell quickly on the B/S/T forum.

I got an incredible shave from my slant on Saturday. It was the closest shave yet. SLANT:thumbup1:

When I first started I said that I'd probably never get into straights. Well, never say never as the saying goes.. It's been 5 months since I began classic wet shaving and I now have (in addition to my DEs) three straights & two strops..

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

The Hen & Rooster razor in the first pic only cost me about $45 so you can find straights priced right..

That said, I don't think there's any kind of 'official progression' that one must take, just where ever you feel drawn to..

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with straights and given the care needed (and my lack of interest in such things...:rolleyes:) I may never dip the toe in that pond.

That said, I love my slant (Merkur 37C).

I have not tried a straight razor yet *keyword is yet* but as for DE, I am good because I have both a 37C and 39C slant razors! I say try the slant and see how you like it. I recommend a 37C first since it has a lot more control but the sledgehammer is great as well! Just get both and you should be fine!

Cheers,

If you are looking for something different, a straight razor is the way to go, IMO...:thumbup1: you are opening a can of worms with that one... in a good way, though

Top Bottom