What's new

Slant Bar: Only more effective with certain blades

I've been rotated very recently between my HD and Slant bar with a Feather blade. I honestly find the HD to give me a closer shave with less irriation than the Slant/Feather combo. Now with an IP or a Derby it's an entirely different story, the slant is much, much closer. But with a Feather (only a feather) the slant seems to be overrated. This is just my opinion, I don't mean to pass judgment. Has anyone else noticed this?

I've been rotated very recently between my HD and Slant bar with a Feather blade. I honestly find the HD to give me a closer shave with less irriation than the Slant/Feather combo. Now with an IP or a Derby it's an entirely different story, the slant is much, much closer. But with a Feather (only a feather) the slant seems to be overrated. This is just my opinion, I don't mean to pass judgment. Has anyone else noticed this?

Despite it's high quality, I have personally never been a huge fan of the Feather blade. The list of shave-related variables is a long one, and certainly this contributes/supports the old YMMV adage. My own personal zen usually involves a Derby Extra.

How abaout different razor and blades combos for different passes? Anyone do that very much?

To my surprise the Derby (and to some extent IP too) behaved very similarly in both HD and Slant. To get a satisfactory shave I had to repeatedly go over most of my face ATG. But in the Futur (on 3) the Derby is a tiger, GrrrrrrWooo...:biggrin:

Arik.

Hmmm.
Perhaps I've judged Feather blades too harshly? My slant came with an extra Feather blade to try out, and to be honest I was extremely underwhelmed. My slant is performing great, on the other hand, with one of my Exchange Select US Personnas.
Perhaps the feather will work well in my regular DE's, but I also did not like it in my slant. As long as the slant keeps squeegee-ing whiskers off effortlessly with my [dirt cheap] Exchange brand US Personnas, I see no need to feed it the inferior IMHO Feather blades. Perhaps if I try a few more Feathers in other razors my opinion will change but for now, my Slant likes Personnas.
John P.

My slant came with an extra Feather blade to try out, and to be honest I was extremely underwhelmed. .

The blade provided with DE razor is useless as it is probably dull/damaged from its 'life' in the box. I get best results with slant/feather with 0 irritation and nearly BBS (no going against grain!)

Top Bottom