What's new

Skin stretching: which direction?

My hair on my face and neck both mostly flow from ears to chin, excepting the neck swirl on the right side near my Adam’s apple. I don’t shave WTG I shave XTG from top to bottom then bottom to top and finally ATG. I usually pull from the bottom with contortions and bull frogging and occasionally from the top. My biggest problem area is my jowels under my jaw line. It is difficult for me to get close in those areas.

Last edited:
Dumb question but serious. How do all of you stretch the skin with soap on the skin and on your fingertips? I have tried but I can hold any ground so to speak.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
When stretching my own skin, I go all directions.

And before you ask, the answer is “no.” Or even better, as dad often said, “You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose.”

P.S.: Rubber bands are highly inappropriate for this activity. Just sayin’.

A8720B46-EDFD-40FC-9F66-185B19A1F8A5.jpeg

Dumb question but serious. How do all of you stretch the skin with soap on the skin and on your fingertips? I have tried but I can hold any ground so to speak.
After I shave over a spot, it’s dry enough to hold. But if your soap/cream has more residual slickness than mine, I’ve heard that you can wet an alum block and rub it on your fingertips, and this will give them grip.

After I shave over a spot, it’s dry enough to hold. But if your soap/cream has more residual slickness than mine, I’ve heard that you can wet an alum block and rub it on your fingertips, and this will give them grip.
Thanks. I'll give a go in the morning.

A great question! As @Dominic said rubbing cool wet fingers on an alum bar, or a crystal deodorant, will give your fingers some grip. You can also stretch up from above on an un-lathered area to start a shave. I do a short stroke when my face is fully lathered to start and then place my tacky finger(s) an inch or so behind the razor as it moves across an area. I mostly stretch away from the leading cutting edge. IMHO- Stretching becomes more important if your face is not really taut. It's not unusual as we age to start having some sagging here and there. With me, my face, like much of my body, has gone somewhat flabby, particularly jowls, under my jawline, and upper neck. Stretching is a good skill to develop, as I've found it comes in quite useful in later life shaving.

It depends what I am shaving. For example, my cheeks don't really need much stretching, but to start I stretch the temple area towards the crown of my head and then move the fingers towards areas recently shaved. For the jaw line, again I stretch the skin so that the skin typically around the mandible is now under the cheek, then shave that area.

My basic rule is to try to provide the razor with a flat plane. This works for me, but YMMV.

Top Bottom