What's new

SIXTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge

Shave 17​

Prep with cold water and Musgo Real Lime Basil soap
Institut Karité soap face lathered with Centuryset / Frank Shaving silvertip
Canadian Old Type with a Feather -- 3 passes, 44 total now on this blade
Speick AS

I find I like the Old Type more with every shave, and it seems to be getting more lustrous with use. There is no plating left on the head, so it is just the yellow brass getting polished by my face. I have avoided all nicks and irritation the last few days, and I have to wonder how much is because I am getting better with the angle and how much is because the blade has mellowed.

I haven't used one razor so many days in a row for a long time. I appreciate afresh that it is a good thing to do.

The Feather still cuts the stubble just fine, though it feels less sharp. I dunno. If the next eleven shaves are like this, I am definitely going to either bin this blade or keep on using it.​

First blade went to the bin after 14 shaves on it, and today I took out a fresh 7 O'Clock SharpEdge. Shallow angle using a Razorock Jaws, and a nice clean DFS, but with a couple of weepers in the moustache area - don't know who's the culprit there - the blade or the razor.

I didn't sign up with you all, but I changed my blade on the 1st and on a whim I decided to see if I could make it the month on that blade. Well, it's day 17, and it's been fun, but it's time for me to throw in the towel. After 15 shaves, my 1946 milord will be bidding a fond fare-thee-well to a particularly hard-working astra sp.

Thanks for the fun idea, gentlemen! Happy shaves!

I didn't sign up with you all, but I changed my blade on the 1st and on a whim I decided to see if I could make it the month on that blade. Well, it's day 17, and it's been fun, but it's time for me to throw in the towel. After 15 shaves, my 1946 milord will be bidding a fond fare-thee-well to a particularly hard-working astra sp.

Yeah, I got to 17 shaves on an Astra myself. I think 15 may be the limit for those.

Shave Seven

1958 Gillette Fatboy set on 5, with cleanup on 6
Polsilver Super Iridium, day seven
Omega 11126 shaving brush
Proraso White pre shave cream
TOBS St. James cream
Lafe crystal 6oz alum block
English Leather aftershave

I'm still stunned by just how sharp and smooth this blade is, and its endurance is more than impressive! Hands down, this is one of the best blades I've ever had the pleasure of using. This will start being worked into my regular rotation as soon as the Fatboy February and the One Blade in February events are concluded.

Hi,

Actually, you just joined up! There was only one rule, and you followed it! :)

Stan

W2 Aristocrat, Feather(12), ArkoArkoArko, TGN Silvertip

Skipped Sunday for SE Sunday then Monday and Tuesday for Presidents/snow days.
2 1/2 days growth mowed down, no problem. Performance is about that of a regular 2 day blade.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Welcome aboard, mikeb!

Shave #12, and all is well!

I must say that I continue to be impressed with this P74. I know I pushed things a little too hard in a couple of places, this morning, but you wouldn't know it to look at me. If they still made these things, they might could sell 'em to me for the prices you see 'em going for. I'm impressed.

I did two more passes on the P74, and it's doing just fine. I have to say that I had my suspicions about both this blade and my technique in keeping it sharp, but everything is hanging in there like a champ. There's no doubt that the blade is not singing quite like it did on the first shave, but it's doing a fantastic job.

By the time this is over, I hope I remember how to change a blade!

Do not doubt the P74!!

Welcome aboard, mikeb!

Shave #12, and all is well!

I must say that I continue to be impressed with this P74. I know I pushed things a little too hard in a couple of places, this morning, but you wouldn't know it to look at me. If they still made these things, they might could sell 'em to me for the prices you see 'em going for. I'm impressed.

Hi,

I sent a note to someone I know in VA. ;)

Don't hold your breath. They were costly to produce when they did make them, and so were priced out of the market. But, I did point out that the market is different these days. Smaller. More discriminating. Web based, both for buying/selling and word-of-keyboard advertising. Which, is always the best form of advertising. :)

Today was day 18 on my P74, and performed as if it only had a few days on it. I will now admit to having made sure of my blade side on Monday when I cleaned the blade and razor. I flipped it. Something I made sure to avoid last Monday. So, now did that actually make a difference, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

I will say that the original instructions for the Fasan Red Dot Double Slant say to flip the blade and track orientation by using the numbers printed on the (Fasan brand, of course) blade. Maybe they were onto something, but also keep in mind they were referring to carbon steel. :p

Stan

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Oh, I don't expect them to make any more, and I'm just as happy to use and toss several blades over a month, but this has been fun. It's an impressive blade, and it would be interesting to buy a handful and think I could be done for the year. At twelve days, it's in better shape than others I've used for only a few.

I think I've flipped my P74 sometime, but I know I haven't done so in the last several days. Heck, I haven't even opened my razor all the way in over a week--just open a bit, rinse well in clean water, and then quick dip in rubbing alcohol.

I wouldn't have even thought of doing this had it not been for the donation thing, so I once again thank Toothpick for offering up the P74s and Goby for being the middle man!

Shave #16 last night. Shave went well, resulting in a BBS. Since I'd shaved in the morning too, I worked the skin a little bit and had a little irritation.

Shave #8 - Wilkinson sword - Merkur Slant
shave = 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG + touchups)

This is the end of this February endeavour for me. I had to change the blade at the end of second pass. The tugging was just too much considering that a lot of hair was left behind by every stroke.

Good luck to everybody who persists.

Last edited:
Started with a Lord Captain that I traded from Talibeard.
Gillette NDC Tech, Parker 26C handle
Lord Captain (1)
Palmolive cream
Rubberset 400
Barbasol Brisk

You can feel the blade cutting like a Treet Black Beauty, but not in a "tugging" way. Nice smooth shave, no irritation, no after shave burn.

Shave #9 in february;

-preshave; bartex
-soap; P.160
-brush; Semogue 1520
-razor; Lord LP1822 aka L6
-blade; Captain red (9)
-splash; Old Spice

All is still fine, though I still don't love my Semogue.....

Top Bottom