What's new

Single Ring Issue

Picked up a 1920 Single Ring at an antique store today. I cleaned what I thought was some gunk out of the knob, but apparently that gunk was what allowed the knob to screw to the top. The first 1/4" of threads on the top are worn to the point that the threads don't catch on the knob. Anyone had a similar issue and/or is there anything I can do to make the two parts screw together once again?

proxy.php
proxy.php

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
You must be in a different state to find a single ring. I have not seen one yet in all my hunts in this area.

It was in the back of a case at a military surplus/antique store in Leavenworth. I also picked up a bunch of Avon aftershave, but it was slim pickings beyond that.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
You got lucky Mark, I was in there about a month ago and there was nothing.

Hi,

Can you take a good picture of the worn parts? I'm an old machinist and almost everything can be fixed some how. But not everything is worth fixing.....

dalee

Hi,

That's interesting. It looks like someone cross-threaded it and boogered the threads. I find it difficult to believe this is normal wear.

It could be repaired if you wanted to. You could try to repair the damaged threads by recutting them with a die. This can often straighten out the damage. But it does often leave a weakened and looser thread in the repaired area. Perhaps not such a big deal on a razor. After all, it doesn't take 100ftlbs of torque to hold it together.

If it were mine, I would recut the threads to maybe the next size smaller and make a new nut. Or maybe just drill out the stem and replace it totally. I think they are either riveted or welded to the head. A bit of filing/belt grinding would finish the repair. Or the threads could be cut off, the remains drilled and tapped for a new replacement part.

Problem is, I have the tools to do this, you may not. So weigh the costs vs replacement.

bluewing

Thanks for the replies. I thought about the teflon tape, so I will try that. I'll probably not do any major surgery on it as it only cost me $8.

Hi,

I thought of thread repair kits like Loctite or liquid steel. One possible problem with them is they tend not to tolerate repeated removal and re-installation too well. And we are talking about thin sections of build up here, pretty fragile. I like the tape idea, an excellent and easy fix that's cheap!

bluewing

I have the same razor with the EXACT same issue. I'm taking it to a jeweller week after next. Let me know how you get on and I'll do the same. I'm working nights so it's going to be at least Wednesday After next when I'll be passing his store during "normal person" hours but I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom