What's new

Single Edge Blades - What & Where?

What are the common blade brands for single edge razors? I've seen the GEM blades from Personna (ASR) and I've heard of Treet. I bought some other brand at a grocery store that is packaged like Personna, but is not ASR. I'll have to look it up.

Anyway, what other brands are commonly used and where do you get your blades for a reasonable price?

Walgreens had the GEMs for $7 for a 10 pk. That is not reasonable to me. The off brand I found was $1.40 for a 5 pk. That's a good price (I hope they shave well).

I can find PAL carbon steel blades at a couple of places, one being the dollar store. The Walgreens Gems aren't too bad of a deal. I can usually get a solid 7-8 shaves per blade (3 passes). I could go more, I'm sure, but I don't. The PAL blades are half the price, but I can only get 2-3 shaves per blade at the most. I do prefer the carbon blades in my Auto-Strops, they react to the stropping better than stainless.

If the "off brand" blades that you purchased were not located directly in the shaving aisle you will soon discover why the 5 pack only cost $1.40. :tongue_sm

Single Edge blades can be found in the shaving aisle at most CVS (CVS brand), Rite-Aid (Treet brand) and Walgreens (GEM brand). I have seen the price for each of these brands fluctuate from shop to shop between $3 for 5 packs up to $7 for 10 packs. Great prices when you compare to the newest gillette cartridges (4 pack for $15). All of the blades I just mentioned will serve you well but stay away from the Single Edge blades in the hardware section at any store. The blades in the hardware section are not made to the same specs as a blades meant for shaving and they are usually not coated either which can result in an uncomfortable, rough or scratchy shave.

What are the common blade brands for single edge razors? I've seen the GEM blades from Personna (ASR) and I've heard of Treet. I bought some other brand at a grocery store that is packaged like Personna, but is not ASR. I'll have to look it up.

Anyway, what other brands are commonly used and where do you get your blades for a reasonable price?

Walgreens had the GEMs for $7 for a 10 pk. That is not reasonable to me. The off brand I found was $1.40 for a 5 pk. That's a good price (I hope they shave well).

Some folks pointed out to me that you can get a 10 pack of Personna SE blades directly from Personna for $4.79. Free shipping.

if i ever get an SE a local grocery chain carries treet SE blades $4.25 for 10

no DE blades at those stores but always plenty of SE (maybe the owner of the chain is an SE shaver)

Last edited:
I just received an order of Ted Pella blades and I don't know if I made a mistake. I received the uncoated blade (200 of them) and, while I was looking at Gem razor reviews, I noticed someone had ordered PTFE coated blades. I don;t know what "PTFE" is or whether it makes a difference. Unfortunately, their website is no help in this regard. Has anyone had any experience with these blades?

I just received an order of Ted Pella blades and I don't know if I made a mistake. I received the uncoated blade (200 of them) and, while I was looking at Gem razor reviews, I noticed someone had ordered PTFE coated blades. I don;t know what "PTFE" is or whether it makes a difference. Unfortunately, their website is no help in this regard. Has anyone had any experience with these blades?

PTFE stands for polytetrafluoroethylenegeneric.
PTFE is most well known by the brand name DuPont™ Teflon®.

Mistake, well maybe. The uncoated blades are rough.
I prefer the Walgreen GEM blades.

John

Thanks, I'll have to take a look around. The only drug store near me is walgreens. I see CVS and Rite Aid when I travel though, so I'll have to check them out on my next trip. The blades I found at the grocery store for cheap are meant for shaving, but as I discovered last night, they do royally suck. The front of the package says "Single Edge Utility Blades" which doesn't sound promising, but they were sold with the shaving stuff. The back says, " These single edge blades are made with high quality chrome steel and are made with the most advanced blade making process to provide a close, comfortable shave." They are branded a Best Choice and were made in Korea. I bought them at Parker's grocery.

The ones I shaved with first were sent to me as a sample with the razor a B&B member sent me. They came from CVS, Those were really good blades and I liked them a lot. Will have to get some more of those.

I did wonder about the Ted Pella blades. I went to the website but as was noted, it wasn't much help in determining which ones I should get. There were several choices and I couldn't figure out which would be the best for shaving. Any help there?

Last edited:
Top Bottom