What's new

Simpsons Synthetic brushes

Here are my Simpsons synthetics.

448FFD99-B938-470C-ACCF-63E8A66FB55F.jpeg

Trafalgar 1 Sovereign bristle
Duke 3 Platinum
Chubby 2 Sovereign
M7 Platinum

Despite the price size shape density and bristle grade differences, all are equally and highly effective, superior to badger in every way.

I find the Sovereign bristle softer. The Chubby is not really a lather hog nor does it feel too big, unlike its badger counterpart. I think the Ch3 Sovereign would be wonderful and I might just get it.

The T1 is a fraction of the price of the others. It is just as effective, but the loft is less dense and the handle is much lighter, almost feels hollow. It’s not really a problem although a weighty handle does part of the work for you. I wouldn’t mind at all if the T1 was my only brush, can’t say I’d be missing out really.

I’m still trying to enjoy mine or even tolerate it. I’m still not sold as being even remotely close to a badger for me. Water flows right through it and soapy water gets all over the handle instead of working into the soap on the brush or on my face. Sure it will be fine just takes time for me to get used to it.
5FE5BB87-3A37-4752-AB60-E25033B03B0E.jpeg

I don’t have this problem, not more than with badger anyway. Comes down to technique I suppose, maybe some minor adjustments. Painting motions work best in general.

View attachment 1645783

Duke 3 Platinum
Chubby 2 Sovereign
M7 Platinum

Despite the price size shape density and bristle grade differences, all are equally and highly effective, superior to badger in every way.

I find the Sovereign bristle softer. The Chubby is not really a lather hog nor does it feel too big, unlike its badger counterpart. I think the Ch3 Sovereign would be wonderful and I might just get it.

The T1 is a fraction of the price of the others. It is just as effective, but the loft is less dense and the handle is much lighter, almost feels hollow. It’s not really a problem although a weighty handle does part of the work for you. I wouldn’t mind at all if the T1 was my only brush, can’t say I’d be missing out really.
Is the M7 Synthetic really only a 22mm, as it's advertised?

It's the only thing stopping me from getting it as I really prefer a 24mm. My Manchurian is about 24.5mm and that's squeezing tightly with the calipers.

View attachment 1645783

Duke 3 Platinum
Chubby 2 Sovereign
M7 Platinum

I am happy that you are enjoying the brushes. I tried the Trafalgar and the CH2 and sent them on their way. You may find synthetics superior to badgers. That is not my experience and I am certain there are a lot of others who feel the same way. My experience is not universal and neither is yours. Enjoy your shaves

Is the M7 Synthetic really only a 22mm, as it's advertised?

It's the only thing stopping me from getting it as I really prefer a 24mm. My Manchurian is about 24.5mm and that's squeezing tightly with the calipers.
Sorry I never measured them, but just visually comparing side by side, the T1 and Duke3 are both listed as 23mm. The M7 looks a little bit narrower and loftier.

I’m still trying to enjoy mine or even tolerate it. I’m still not sold as being even remotely close to a badger for me. Water flows right through it and soapy water gets all over the handle instead of working into the soap on the brush or on my face. Sure it will be fine just takes time for me to get used to it.
View attachment 1645855
It took me a while to get used to my Duke 3 with Platinum fibers, having the same issues. After a ton of use though I think it's a great brush. It still gets a little runny on the handle but I've gotten used to it.

Top Bottom