What's new

Simpsons shaving brushes, are they really worth it.??

Forgot to add that the Super grade would be gentler. So much so that I can hardly feel the Emperor 3 on my face while lathering, which to me was a let down.

First ever badger shave in the books with my Simpson x3 Commodore. Picture taken post shave.
Was it worth it? Yes definitely!!
IMG_3616.jpg

My Simpson portfolio:

Current

"55" in Best
"56" in Best
"57" in Best
"58" in Best
"59" in Best
Eagle G3, B&B Custom, in Best
Eagle 2 in Pure (Somerset, Ilminster, but made by former staff from Nimmer Mill)
Chubby 2 Synthetic
Berkeley in Best
Classic 1 in Best
Rover 2 LE in Best
Rover 2 in Pure (Somerset, Ilminster, but made by former staff from Nimmer Mill)
Rover Synthetic
Gary Young Limited Edition (Light) in 3 Band Super
"Hive" in Manchurian
Beaufort 4 in Pure
X1L in Best (Somerset, Nimmer Mill, circa 1970)
Keyhole 4 in Best (Somerset, Ilminster)
58 in Best (Somerset, Ilminster)

Previous
Keyhole 2 in Best
Duke 3 in Best
Polo 10 in Best (Somerset, Ilminster)
Tulip 2 in 2 Band Super
Emperor 2 in 3 Band Super
Chubby 2 in Best
M7 in 3 Band Super
Gary Young Limited Edition (Dark) in 3 Band Super
Harvard 2 in Best (Somerset, Ilminster, but made by former staff from Nimmer Mill)
Harvard 3 in Best
Harvard 4 in Best
Wee Scot in Best
Milk Churn 2 in Best
P8 in Best (Shave Nook LE)
"60" in Best (Somerset, Nimmer Mill)
"57" in Best (Somerset, shedding like a collie in July, and in desperate need of a reknot)
Jubilee in Manchurian
Persian Jar 2 in Super (Somerset, Ilminster)

Last edited:
Forgot to add that the Super grade would be gentler. So much so that I can hardly feel the Emperor 3 on my face while lathering, which to me was a let down.
I kind of want to agree with you a little bit regarding my Emperor, although I think the lathers it creates are fantastic. I just wish it had more face feel. Still a lovely brush, just not on the mind all that often.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I continue to be impressed by the small budget Simpson and Vulfix brushes I have been accumulating. Today's shave was the first on a new Berkeley 46 in pure, which I expect to break in very nicely.

My current Manx brush tally is:

CASE C1: in pure (as yet unused) and best
SPECIAL S1: in pure, best and sovereign (×2)
WEE SCOT: in best
BERKELEY 46: in pure (just one use so far)
BEAUFORT B2: in pure
TRAFALGAR T2: in sovereign
VULFIX MAYFAIR: in mixed badger/boar
VULFIX PICCADILLY: in pure

Arriving tomorrow:

VULFIX 2273: in super badger
VULFIX 660S SMALL: in super badger

The only minor disappointment for me so far, is the utter lack of backbone in my Wee Scot. It never hurts to have one cloud like brush in the array though, as it gives me something to reach for if my skin is sore from irritation/sunburn etc. Every other badger I have used from them so far, is what I would consider a good everyday brush.

Note: I included my Vulfix brushes here, as to my mind they belong in the same discussion. Same small factory, same workers, different pattern/design, different badge.

The factory has an Eagle G3 with Sovereign fibre available. A huge internal debate is raging on whether to grab one. I've wanted to try an Eagle for a long time, but not with the Pure hair.

The factory has an Eagle G3 with Sovereign fibre available. A huge internal debate is raging on whether to grab one. I've wanted to try an Eagle for a long time, but not with the Pure hair.
If you drop them an email they will make you one with a different hair grade! They've made me a Duke 3 in Super and Classic 2's in Super and 2 band 😄.

The Eagle G3 is my favorite handle. I would advise not to get it in pure grade. Get either the 3 band silvertip or Manchurian.

I rotate my 6 Simpsons together with the rest of my brushes. I now possess a total of 44 brushes.
In this kingdom each and every one of them has the same oportunity. A bit more than 3 usages per brush per year.
They're all very different kind of beasts which together with the rest of the gear can produce an inimaginable number of combinations, read ritualistic/technique experiences.
Simpsons are very special for me not only because of their quality, classic looks and performance, but because they are timeless iconic pieces.
Are they overpriced? Yes. As all the icons.
In matter of brushes one can have seldom equal to Simpsons, exceptionally better than Simpsons and frequently inferior to Simpsons. So their referencial value is invaluable.

There's my Simpson Family from left to right:

- CHUBBY 2 SUPER BADGER.
BUTTERSCOTCH

- CHUBBY 3 BEST BADGER FAUX IVORY

- CHUBBY 3 MANCHURIAN FAUX EMERALD

- COMMODORE X3 BEST BADGER FAUX
IVORY

- M7 MANCHURIAN LIQUID GOLD

- EAGLE G3 PURE BADGER FAUX IVORY

- PROGRESS VULFIX V2236S SUPER
BADGER FAUX IVORY

Attachments