What's new

Simpsons Keyhole Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush

Have only used it one shave- with Tabac. Felt like I couldn't get enough product on the tips. With my 24mm Stirling I get enough for 3 passes. The G2 was stingy with the lather though it did a much neater job painting the lather on. It took longer to build up the lather than what I'm used to. Far more scritch than stirling finest but I enjoyed the scrub for a change and especially the backbone on the G2. Have to make some adjustments to my lathering next time and hoping the scritch tones down just a notch at some point. The brush came in a Grey colored box. I thought simpsons used red?

Last edited:
Have only used it one shave- with Tabac. Felt like I couldn't get enough product on the tips. With my 24mm Stirling I get enough for 3 passes. The G2 was stingy with the lather though it did a much neater job painting the lather on. It took longer to build up the lather than what I'm used to. Far more scritch than stirling finest but I enjoyed the scrub for a change and especially the backbone on the G2. Have to make some adjustments to my lathering next time and hoping the scritch tones down just a notch at some point. The brush came in a Grey colored box. I thought simpsons used red?
Must be old stock. The boxes used to be gray instead of red. Does the Simpson sticker say England or Great Britain?

Uh oh, I just looked on A#@&*n and am getting Simpsons Acquisition Disorder! I found a super badger brush from the same seller at a great price. Must resist...

Screenshot_20210627-093458_Photos.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If it is one of the old stock grey boxes then I would think it is at least ten years old but your brush appears much newer than that. I would expect an old grey Simpson box to have a label similar to that shown below. Also the care leaflet inside would be different to the current one with no mention of the Isle Of Man, instead describing the brush as made in a 'rural backwater in Somerset'.

forum.jpg

Interesting. Think Pasteurs swapped the box for whatever reason? The brush appeared unused to my eye. It was not bloomed out at all.

Interesting. Think Pasteurs swapped the box for whatever reason? The brush appeared unused to my eye. It was not bloomed out at all.

From the handle, it looks like the current production. Maybe they've gone back to grey boxes? But there appears to be a torn section at the the bottom end of the box, as though someone lifted off a price sticker or label. How was the condition of the tissue paper that was wrapped around the brush in taking it out? Did it look pristine or was it all wrinkled as though the brush had been removed from it and re-wrapped?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Something like that, probably. I wouldn't read much into it. Either someone at Simpsons or at Pasteur's put it in a grey box. I bought my G2 at Pasteur's 6 or 7 years ago and the salesman literally brought out their entire stock of G2's for me to select one. I wanted two things- a good specimen of Pure badger and a handle with a sticker rather than a printed label like yours. Here's what I got- it came in a red box, by the way... judging by the age of the brush it probably should have been a grey box- so perhaps we have each other's boxes! I remember I had the lids off about 10 brushes, so there's a chance the switch of your lid was made that day when the salesman was cleaning up my mess! Either way, enjoy your Eagle!

G2.jpg

Last edited:
The keyhole is an interesting shape for me. Long ago, I picked up a Vie-Long horse-badger knot with a wooden handle that has been just perfect as to ergonomics.

Vie-Long KH Horse-Badger.jpg

Then I picked up a sterilized KH 2 & KH 3, thinking the shape there would work well; but they were a bit awkward, more stout in comparison. Razorock makes a Plisson-knot synth brush with a keyhole handle similar to Simpson's, although less stout, but the knot does not have enough spine for my taste. The search goes on...

Top Bottom