What's new

Simpson Handle Question

I have a new Duke 3 best. Are the Simpson handles weighted? When I shake the water out of my brush I feel a vibration in the handle.

I did a light tug on the knot and it doesn’t move. If I had set the knot myself I would think it’s a penny moving around.

Could that be a loose weight or should I play it safe and send the brush back while I still can?

I was just typing as your reply came in. My little sister once complained that her stuffed rabbit was clicking. My father thought she was nuts but cut it open to show her ... maggots, or some sort of larvae.

I was just typing as your reply came in. My little sister once complained that her stuffed rabbit was clicking. My father thought she was nuts but cut it open to show her ... maggots, or some sort of larvae.

I will never look at a stuffed animal or shaving brush the same way again. That cannot be unread.

No wiggle or rattle in mine. They're made from a solid mold. Dried piece of broken-off glue maybe?

It's so new that I can still return it. I will miss it until its replacement comes, but since I'm jumping down the Simpson rabbit hole with both feet I have a Duke 2 Best landing tomorrow.

It's so new that I can still return it. I will miss it until its replacement comes, but since I'm jumping down the Simpson rabbit hole with both feet I have a Duke 2 Best landing tomorrow.

If you are able to return it, I would. My guess is if you don’t, it will bug you each time you use it and sooner rather then later you will stop using it

I've drilled the knot out of a late "Made in England" period Special and the glue they were using at that point is more like cement... *very* hard and sort of off-white colored. Definitely not regular epoxy, or any other glue I have seen before, really more like "engineering resin" used in cast garden sculptures. I doubt that it would be affected by any temperatures that were safe for the bristle!

I could however see how an air bubble (there were a few small air bubbles under the knot I drilled out) in the "glue", with a tiny ball of hardened material loose in it could turn a brush into a furry maraca.

Top Bottom