What's new

Simpson Duke 3 Best: Prickly / Scritchy

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. I bought a Simpsons in best and it was way too scritchy for my sensitive skin. Their best does vary a lot from what I read but I won't be rolling the dice on it again. Too many other brush makers out there that you can know what to expect from them.

Mark has set my worries at ease! Fantastic customer support and I have a good feeling this brush is going to bloom into a fantastic face prepper.

Not sure why he isn't allowed in these parts anymore but I'll leave that be.

Here is a pic of a test lather I did past night with MWF!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383661857.142294.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383661885.945028.jpg

I was thinking of getting a Duke 3, if I do I may have to go to Mark direct to make sure I dont get a scritchy one

Glad you are sticking with it, bmilcs, I think you'll be rewarded with a fantastic brush.

Keep us posted!

the Best grade of hair that is very inconsistent.

I found the Best hair to be a hit and miss. The two-band hair is very good and I would always get a Super two-band again, but not Best.

Agreed. I've had the pleasure of having many Simpson's in all hair grades other than manchurian. The most noticeable lack of hair consistency and QC issues for me was in the best hair grade.

I was thinking of getting a Duke 3, if I do I may have to go to Mark direct to make sure I dont get a scritchy one

Seems a little ridiculous to pay a 20% surcharge just to make sure the brush is up to the standards that we have come to expect from other brush makers. I do not recall a single thread stating my shavemac, Seville Row, Thater or Rooney is too scritchy.

Agreed. I've had the pleasure of having many Simpson's in all hair grades other than manchurian. The most noticeable lack of hair consistency and QC issues for me was in the best hair grade.

Seems a little ridiculous to pay a 20% surcharge just to make sure the brush is up to the standards that we have come to expect from other brush makers. I do not recall a single thread stating my shavemac, Seville Row, Thater or Rooney is too scritchy.

I couldn't agree more. A Rooney 1/1 in Super is $93 shipped (VB) and a Duke 2 in Best is also $93 shipped (WCS). I'd rather put my money into something where I have a pretty good idea of what I can expect in terms of quality. It's not that I don't like Simpsons. I have a couple of them and they are all great. I just like manufacturers that deliver a consistent product, even at a lower price point.

Last edited:
My Duke 2 in Best is not scrtichy at all. Maybe a bit scrubby, but not scritchy ... at least as I understand those terms.

I couldn't agree more. A Rooney 1/1 in Super is $93 shipped (VB) and a Duke 2 in Best is also $93 shipped (WCS). I'd rather put my money into something where I have a pretty good idea of what I can expect in terms of quality. It's not that I don't like Simpsons. I have a couple of them and they are all great. I just like manufacturers that deliver a consistent product, even at a lower price point.

How does the Rooney compare to the Simpsons you've tried?

Every brush will have a certain break in period. This is in regards to the softness of the tips (they will get less scritchy with use) and the flow through will get better. I have a CH2 best and I was not impressed at the beginning, not to say disappointed for what I paid for but it significantly improved and is now part of my regular rotation.

How does the Rooney compare to the Simpsons you've tried?

To be honest with you Bryan I stopped using 3-band badger brushes before I got into Rooney. My experience with Rooney is that I have always received a brush that has a consistent and high level of fit, finish, and quality. When they say 24X50mm, you are VERY likely to get that. The handles on their brushes have a very high quality shine and high attention to detail. As far as the quality of the hair, I have never received anything that I was disappointed with. The hair has varied from batch to batch, but they have all been soft, some scrubbier than others, and with virtually almost no scritch. Hope that helps.

To be honest with you Bryan I stopped using 3-band badger brushes before I got into Rooney. My experience with Rooney is that I have always received a brush that has a consistent and high level of fit, finish, and quality. When they say 24X50mm, you are VERY likely to get that. The handles on their brushes have a very high quality shine and high attention to detail. As far as the quality of the hair, I have never received anything that I was disappointed with. The hair has varied from batch to batch, but they have all been soft, some scrubbier than others, and with virtually almost no scritch. Hope that helps.

Thanks buddy.

I'll have to get my next brush from Rooney. I want to hit most of the major manufacturers of luxury face lathering brushes on the larger side.

Is there a post listing the most popular models for each brand? If not, ill have to make it :)

Up until now, my focus was on boars. TGN finest knots have turned me onto badger and I assumed that due to the price tag, the more expensive brushes out there would be far superior. TGN finest 2 band is wonderful. We shall see :)

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Rooney Style 1 Size 2. I have the M&F Blonde version and it is phenomenal for face lathering.

A few friends - L to R: 1XL gel, Stubby 1 gel, Stubby 3, M&F 1/2 Blonde

proxy.php

Just for fun

proxy.php

Last edited:
Bryan all of those brushes sport their original knots EXCEPT for the Berkeley 46. I had Rudy Vey put a TGN Finest into that one for me. Rooney knots are quite excellent sir.

Thanks guys.

Well, the Duke 3 I received is definitely prickly and scritchy but I've been assured this will change.

Boy does it create some mean lather. Arko test lather:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383749073.786740.jpg

Up until now, my focus was on boars. TGN finest knots have turned me onto badger and I assumed that due to the price tag, the more expensive brushes out there would be far superior. TGN finest 2 band is wonderful. We shall see :)

Of course the journey is always interesting and everybody will need to make experiences for him self but you will have a hard time to find something far superior to the TGN finest.

A little better yes but far better, no. At least my experience with CH2 best, Shavemac D01, Thaeter, Rooney Silver tip, M&F 2XL, Semogue SOC, ...
Of course if a little difference in scritch is just the tipping point between acceptable or not, than this might be "far superior" in your book. After all it's a typical YMMV thing what you like on your skin.

Of course the journey is always interesting and everybody will need to make experiences for him self but you will have a hard time to find something far superior to the TGN finest.

A little better yes but far better, no. At least my experience with CH2 best, Shavemac D01, Thaeter, Rooney Silver tip, M&F 2XL, Semogue SOC, ...
Of course if a little difference in scritch is just the tipping point between acceptable or not, than this might be "far superior" in your book. After all it's a typical YMMV thing what you like on your skin.

I really don't want to come off as a Simpson hater and having sensitive skin with particular tastes. I think I might've been unlucky with this particular model.

I want to make it clear that I still have a strong desire to add a Simpson to my collection and Mark has been great to deal with.

Regarding Simpson best, is it typical for the knot to contain mostly thin fine hair with thick shafted hairs mixed in between and also black tip hairs as well? I took some time examining the knot last night and I believe those thicker hairs are what's causing the issue.

Overall the brush is fantastic quality but I think I got a rare one of the bunch.

Top Bottom