What's new

Simpson Duke 3 Best: Prickly / Scritchy

Other than my 3 Spanish horses from Vie-Long (1 nat. brown ; 2 "white". These use certain ratio of mane and tail hairs) I have not realized a combination of distinctively different hair types in knots of my brushes. Maybe I have just been using them and not paying so close attention.

I want to hit most of the major manufacturers of luxury face lathering brushes on the larger side.

I'm on the same track. I'd like to own one model from each of the top manufacturers. So far I've purchased 3 'nice' badgers - a Simpson Best, Thater 2-band, and Shavemac Finest. Like you, I did not care for the Simpson at first but after a few weeks it did break in nicely. There is still a hint of scritch but I don't mind it. The Thater was a lather hog so I sold it. And the Shavemac Finest is really great. Shavemac Finest is 70% silvertip, 30% pure - a very nice mix of softness + some backbone to work the hard soaps. I think Rooney will be next.

I'm on the same track. I'd like to own one model from each of the top manufacturers. So far I've purchased 3 'nice' badgers - a Simpson Best, Thater 2-band, and Shavemac Finest. Like you, I did not care for the Simpson at first but after a few weeks it did break in nicely. There is still a hint of scritch but I don't mind it. The Thater was a lather hog so I sold it. And the Shavemac Finest is really great. Shavemac Finest is 70% silvertip, 30% pure - a very nice mix of softness + some backbone to work the hard soaps. I think Rooney will be next.

The Rooney Heritage 2XL is gorgeous. I hope they come back in stock someday!

The Thater was a lather hog so I sold it. And the Shavemac Finest is really great. Shavemac Finest is 70% silvertip, 30% pure - a very nice mix of softness + some backbone to work the hard soaps. I think Rooney will be next.

which Thater did you have? I've had two, and one was as you describe. The other was awesome, but just a bit too big for me.

Agreed as to the shavemac finest- 1 of the few brushes I regret selling, and sooner or later I will ask Rudy to create one for me.

I think Rooney is an excellent choice for your next brush, and the 2-band heritage is oh so nice.

which Thater did you have? I've had two, and one was as you describe. The other was awesome, but just a bit too big for me.

Agreed as to the shavemac finest- 1 of the few brushes I regret selling, and sooner or later I will ask Rudy to create one for me.

I think Rooney is an excellent choice for your next brush, and the 2-band heritage is oh so nice.

It was a Thater 4292/3 2-band Fan. I've been wondering if maybe i should have kept it and tried to break it in more since I only had it for a few weeks. But i just didn't have the patience at the time.

2-band heritage looks very tempting!

Update: Pulled the trigger on a Chubby 2 Super 3-band. ;)

Eying the Rooney Heritage 2XLs if they ever come back in stock!

Decided to give me an early christmas present and today arrived a Duke 3 best. Will try it later this week !!!

Post a pic of the knot so we can have a look. Generally speaking best badger should wear in within 2-3 weeks. I would recommend hand lathering to help with the break in process. If it doesn't break in within that time, I would probably get it re-knotted in Shavemac Finest by Bernd.

I agree with Rudy about Simpson 2 band, Simpson Manchurian brushes are also excellent.

How long would you say it takes to break in a Chubby 2? It's great from day 1 but how long till it's full potential is reached.

Reviving this thread because the title perfectly describes my first shave with my Duke 3 Best this morning. I lathered it up and let it sit overnight before using it.

At first I thought I made a mistake and ordered Best porcupine quills. I guess I’ll have to suck it up until it breaks in.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Keep us up to date, I'm curious for an update on the op poster @bmilcs. I purchased my duke3 in best "used a few times" and it's on the floppier side, but in terms of skritch/scratch, its nonexistant... compared to other silvertip brushes I own, I can't tell them apart skritch/scratch wise?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Keep us up to date, I'm curious for an update on the op poster @bmilcs. I purchased my duke3 in best "used a few times" and it's on the floppier side, but in terms of skritch/scratch, its nonexistant... compared to other silvertip brushes I own, I can't tell them apart skritch/scratch wise?
I doubt you get an answer from him, he was last around here in July 2018....
Necromancy.jpg

Top Bottom