What's new

Simpson CH1 vs CH2

hey guys,

i'm im need for a bit of advice, im planning to buy myself a new brush, and it came down to the Cubby in Super, the only thing i cant decide is: chubby1 or chubby 2.
I have heard that the brushes are a lot different due to their size. CH2 is a bit softer and not as much backbone than the CH1 (but not that CH2 lacks backbone)? so far i have used brushes with smaller knot sizes 23 -24, so im not sure if the CH2 is perhaps gonna be too big. I'm mostly a soap guy 80% of the time, but from time to time i like to use cream, but i have other brushes for that ...

Thanks,

Bye

If you are not sure Petar, I would suggest that you buy the Chubby1 and use it. It will do a fantastic job on soap. If a bad case of SBAD sets in and you think that you need to try the Chubby2 at some point in the future, you can always look at trading/selling your Chubby1.

The Chubby 1 would be the safe bet for you. But as an ecstatic Chubby 3 (super and Chubby 2 two band) user my heart wants to say go for the Chubby 2. I think the Chubby 2 is a nice size, and the Super hair is a treat. The big soft brick of badger hair is a big part of why I face lather, I just enjoy the feeling of the knot on my face, and for me the bigger the better.

The Chubby 2 is a luxurious cream brush. I love it. However, if you plan on using mostly with soaps, I would go with the Chubby 1. I have a Chubby 2 in Super. It feels decadent when I use it, especially with a scuttle keeping the brush nice and warm. I highly recommend for your shave den at some point.

Speaking of the Chubby 2, what's a recommended stand for it? It's so big, my existing stand can't wrap around the C2's brush handle. I suppose it's a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My favourite is my 'vulfixated' "22" ... that is, two-band size two, that I got from (shameless plug) WCS.

I also have a #1 in best and #2 in super, in all their pre-fix glory. The '22' is imho the best.

Personally, I would go with the 2, since I prefer a larger brush. It comes down to comfort and preference.

I would go for a CH2. Not that I own any of those but I got a Duke 3 which is the same size as the CH1 and to me it is on the small side.

The CH1 handle is a little on the small side, but the knot (especially in two band super) is just perfect, for my needs at least. It's great for face lathering, bowl lathering, creams or soaps... it's my all around brush. Truth be told, although the CH1 handle felt a wee bit small at first, I don't even think about it anymore. It's really a great brush.

So I guess that I'm saying that the CH1 is a better buy, contrary to popular opinion on this thread. But the CH2 is really nice, too. Especially if you like larger knots.

Top Bottom