What's new

Simpson AS2M reknot

I have posted pictures before of my vintage Simpson AS2M brush. I really like the look of the knot but it just doesn't perform. I've tried soaps and creams and it not only doesn't build a lather, it doesn't hold it either.

So, I contacted Progress Shaving Brushes (Vulfix) and asked for a quote to replace the knot and received a reply within an hour saying that they could do the job and that I'd have it made right before I could say "Alexander Simpson"!

Anyway, I sent them my guess on the knot size (20-22mm) and today I got a quote of £29.95 plus return shipping once the work is done. I'll be packaging up my treasure and sending it on an international journey soon.

One interesting note, he said that they would do a Super re-knot and that it "should do you at least another 10 years." So, if anyone wants to know how long the manufacturer thinks a knot should last, there you go!

Attachments

• $IMG_0844.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,352
That's too bad that you have to replace the knot, as it looks great. I can't wait to see what the re-knotted brush looks like. When you say Super, is that Two-Band or Three-Band? Also, could you ask the Vulfix guys if they know what the name of this model of brush is? I have always wondered what the AS2M stood for.

That's too bad that you have to replace the knot, as it looks great. I can't wait to see what the re-knotted brush looks like. When you say Super, is that Two-Band or Three-Band? Also, could you ask the Vulfix guys if they know what the name of this model of brush is? I have always wondered what the AS2M stood for.

It does look great but it just doesn't do the job its supposed to do. Based on what they're saying at Vulfix the brush is good for 10 or so years.

I've asked for clarification on 2-band or 3 and will let you all know the answer. I also sent an email asking for more information/history on the AS2M. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Gave it a wash with dish soap 3x and a soak. No vinegar on hand so we will see how it lathers in the am! Thanks for the info!!

My pleasure. Although me thinks that it is the vinegar that works the most magic.

A shout out goes to mdunn too, because that tutorial has revived my brushes many times :thumbup1: .

Did you try cleaning the brush? The knot just looks too nice not to work better.

I did the shampoo, vinegar, shampoo treatment before I traded that brush to Bob. My experience with it was the same as that which he reported here.

It's possible that another treatment will help. I was very conservative with shampoo and later with the vinegar mixture and time.

It is a beautiful brush.

I hope it strokes Bob more fully than it did me. :laugh:

I did the shampoo, vinegar, shampoo treatment before I traded that brush to Bob. My experience with it was the same as that which he reported here.

It's possible that another treatment will help. I was very conservative with shampoo and later with the vinegar mixture and time.

It is a beautiful brush.

I hope it strokes Bob more fully than it did me. :laugh:

"I see" said the blind man :001_smile A new knot would then certainly make it perform as good as it looks.

By the way, since I found them, I'm linking to these two videos Em put together about brush cleaning {link}.

The brush is in the mail and will soon be back in the UK to be fitted with a new knot.

I tried the brush again today with a cream that I knew was excellent and while I had a great shave I still had to fight for the cream to build and the brush didn't retain that much of it.

Really, the difference is that it just doesn't act and feel as luxurious as the other Simpsons that I own: Polo 8, Commodore X3, Harvard H3, Duke 2. I used the X3 and the H3 with this same cream and the lather overwhelmed my face and there was plenty left in the brush when I was done. PLUS, the brushes felt great on my face and made me feel like I was being pampered.

So I've sent my brush on its way and when it returns I hope it will be not only a great-looking brush, but one that gives me that same feeling of luxury when it is used.

Did you ever find out if you were getting it in Two-Band or Three-Band? Also, has Vulfix given you an idea as to what AS2M means?

Did you ever find out if you were getting it in Two-Band or Three-Band? Also, has Vulfix given you an idea as to what AS2M means?

In keeping with the brush's history I'm going with 3-band.

I asked if they knew anything about the brush and they said no. Basically, it was before their time and anyone that worked for Simpson has long since retired. They don't have any historical records so it seems that information is lost to history. If I lived in the area I think I would make it my mission to track down the Simpson employees and ply them with pints in order to get the stories and information that they must have in their minds.

I asked if they knew anything about the brush and they said no. Basically, it was before their time and anyone that worked for Simpson has long since retired. They don't have any historical records so it seems that information is lost to history. If I lived in the area I think I would make it my mission to track down the Simpson employees and ply them with pints in order to get the stories and information that they must have in their minds.

Thanks for the update. I think it is a good call on going with the Three-Band Super Badger. I am disappointed about the brush's name being lost to history. I can't wait for you to get the brush and give us your impressions.

When are we going? I particularly want to have some of that hand pulled ale at the Trout Pub or the Pike dating back to about the year 1350 (oh yeah, its true.) What an adventure, talking to some of those guys from Somerset who actually stamped the lamp black on. I think you made a great decision going with a re-knot from the "original" manufacturer and selecting 3-Band. It is going to look amazing. What loft did you elect to set it at. P.S. Are we going by ourselves or with the wives. (They'll kill us if we drink all that ale by ourselves:001_rolle)

When are we going? I particularly want to have some of that hand pulled ale at the Trout Pub or the Pike dating back to about the year 1350 (oh yeah, its true.) What an adventure, talking to some of those guys from Somerset who actually stamped the lamp black on. I think you made a great decision going with a re-knot from the "original" manufacturer and selecting 3-Band. It is going to look amazing. What loft did you elect to set it at. P.S. Are we going by ourselves or with the wives. (They'll kill us if we drink all that ale by ourselves:001_rolle)

I think it would be an amazing trip. Since I'm dreaming, for now, I think a trip to Paris would be next to visit the master barber and to inquire about Plisson brushes. Next stop would be a grand tour of wine country.

For some reason I can't get passed the idea of having a glass of Dom Pérignon to sip while enjoying my morning shave as the ultimate in luxury and decadence. :)

I didn't set a loft with them during our conversations. I think I'll follow up with that so that I get my dream brush back from this restoration.

I spoke on the phone this morning with Mark at Vulfix (Simpson) and gave him my credit card information to complete our transaction. The brush has been fitted with a new knot and I could have it in my hands as early as this Friday! :w00t::w00t:

Mark was an absolute pleasure to talk with and our conversation ran the gambit of the brush that was worked on, brushes in general, and aspects of life too. He obviously cares very much for his business but also cares deeply about the Simpson brush name and the quality we all expect.

I will post pictures as soon as this butterscotch treasure is safely in my hands.

I am very excited to see the brush when it is done. I wish I had some vintage Simpson brushes. It really is too bad that Vulfix did not know what the AS2M stood for, but I suppose that gives your brush a little bit of intrigue :001_smile.

Top Bottom