What's new

Sick of stupid spam calls

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Now that the election is over, Abbott and Beto have stopped texting me for money (block one number, another appears). Pro tip- if I haven’t given you money in the first 500 attempts, the next 500 aren’t going to change my mind. Yes, I exaggerate- but just a bit.

Reactions: ctr

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
When a spammer calls, play this:

View attachment 1554491
This is fantastic and most certainly work. Establishing that it’s a bad number. The bulk of my spam calls if not all of them were the auto warranty people. All these calls came to a complete stop after I took the call and pretended I wanted to buy the warranty for the city bus I was riding in. I almost think I freaked out the caller I didn’t want her to hang up. She put me in the real do not call list. The one where they think it’s a definite no sale.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I remember I let a scam caller from India(or some where around that area of the world) pretend I was concerned about my credit card purchase they claimed was questionable purchase, so the 1st caller says he has to get his supervisor after I asked him what is my credit card # to verify his concern thaat he did not have so the 2nd con gets one the phone(higher trained con artist) and when he got on the phone I gave him the most ugliest tongue lashing and he had the nerve to say "you can't talk to me like that" after he more than likely conned a lot of money from gullible folks. I hung up the phone and was happy for this, but then he notified his phone goons to harass me for a few days on the phone because I got deep under his skin for a few seconds of discomfort(it was worth it).
I have heard enough of folks getting ripped off of thousands of dollars to never see their money again. Certain generations of folks where brought up around the old phone systems and when the phone rang you just pick it up. (that are the ones they want to prey on IMO)

Of course, to spammers, the most valuable thing is their time. That is why they use computers to dial the numbers and only transfer potential victims to their live scam artists. If you have time, answer the call and pretend you are at least somewhat interested in their offer. Just never say "yes" or "no" or anything else that they might be able to extract from your recording to indicate you are in agreement. And NEVER give them any personal information. Ask them questions to determine whether they are legitimate. Then after you have kept them on the line for several minutes, state that after careful consideration, you are not interested and hang up, if they do not hang up first. They hate wasting their time even more than insults.

There is an interesting YouTube video of a spammer who dialed a police department and was connected with the police captain. It is worth watching.

Most of the spam calls we get are recordings, so they wouldn't be bothered by a loud noise. And I'm not about to wait till a human answers.

Being in Canada, I get a laugh at the ones that threaten my "social security" or say they're calling from an American bank.
Seriously though, there are so many calls these days that I find it pretty easy to ignore calls from numbers not in my contacts list. I figure if they don't leave a voicemail they weren't important. The sad thing about it is that the scammers still find enough susceptible people to steal millions.

I have a friend who can imitate a confused old man, one of their favorite targets. He strings them along in an attempt to get them to become angry. He'll ramble on about nonsense while he takes a while to find a credit card and it turns out to be an old expired Exxon card. He once read them a Visa number that expired 10 years ago. When he gave the expiration date, they exploded. Then he argued with them about what year it was. He figures he is keeping them from scamming someone else and swears the number of calls slowed when they discovered he was a time-waster.
He was born and raised in Latvia and came to the US to go to college. He once "accidentally" hung up on them after "getting the iTunes cards". When they called back, he answered in Latvian in a different voice. Hilarity ensued.
Retired people have strange hobbies.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Of course, to spammers, the most valuable thing is their time. That is why they use computers to dial the numbers and only transfer potential victims to their live scam artists. If you have time, answer the call and pretend you are at least somewhat interested in their offer. Just never say "yes" or "no" or anything else that they might be able to extract from your recording to indicate you are in agreement. And NEVER give them any personal information. Ask them questions to determine whether they are legitimate. Then after you have kept them on the line for several minutes, state that after careful consideration, you are not interested and hang up, if they do not hang up first. They hate wasting their time even more than insults.

There is an interesting YouTube video of a spammer who dialed a police department and was connected with the police captain. It is worth watching.

This is the most up to date info because when “they” call and you answer there is no one on the line you either have to wait or push 1 or something to be transferred. The computer is making these calls. If you answer and hang up they just call back.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Just looked through my spam folder and this is one email I got ....glad I read it, and now I am rich....

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner
1300 Pennsylvania Ave NW Washington, DC 20004, USA

Good Day!
This office is writing to let you know we have
successfully brought all foreign transactions down here because of the
complaints and reports we are getting that citizens are being
intimidated, cheated and deprived of their legal rights to their
inheritance, winnings and contract funds from foreign countries.

All issues regarding transactions from Africa, Europe, Asia etc. has
been resolved and a total of $8,700,000.00 United States Dollars is in your name.
You are to contact us today for the release and the claim of your fund if you are still interested.

N:B All unclaimed funds go to the Federal treasury as unclaimed funds as the beneficiary will be assumed dead or lack the capacity to claim said amount.

Troy S. Miller"

Hmh, maybe I should call them up and ask for the funds to be transferred to me...

<I have a friend who can imitate a confused old man, one of their favorite targets.>

My fear is that sooner rather than later I am naturally going to be in that state and will not have to imitate!

I like all the efforts to waste these folks' time, but a little ironic when you think about it that all we can come up with is wasting the time of folks who are trying to rip off the vulnerable among us! Even when they connect with a police chief!

I would prefer to see folks like that making their calls from a pay phone at a prison!

I am so sick of getting these stupid spam calls and messages. Most calls show a number in my area code, or one next to it, and often a town I have friends (or from a business, or doctors etc) in. You never know who calls you. Today it was Sara Larson from Master/Visa card (!!) company. The fact is that I was expecting a call from this town, but was not aware of the number that it would come from, so I picked up.
In most cases it is an automated message. My wife and I both get them, and i don't know how many times we have signed up on do-not-call lists.
Anybody else having this happening???
We have a house rule. If we do not recognize the phone number we let it go to the machine. If its important they will leave a message. If it's not important, ie. spam, I block the number. Spam call are very frustrating.

my spam email is far less intrusive to me than the phone calls. Nowadays, the majority of the phone calls are for extended auto warranty or medicare. They've dwindled because I've been giving them answers like an 84 Pacer for the auto, or 137 years old for medicare.

• Haha

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
my spam email is far less intrusive to me than the phone calls. Nowadays, the majority of the phone calls are for extended auto warranty or medicare. They've dwindled because I've been giving them answers like an 84 Pacer for the auto, or 137 years old for medicare.
good one....

I listen to them patiently until it is my turn, immaterial of the gender, I ask “I am more than happy to provide you the details but can you tell me what under garments are you wearing?”

Another one in which I did some research on, I say “Hold on but you are calling from India, one sec … you are in Kolkata … wait you are calling from sector 7, 8 or 9.” Now I bring in the culture context, “I am going to hunt your parents down.” You have no idea how much they have just deficated themselves.

On a side note, my wife is Indian and she say what we experience in Australia is nothing compared to the scam calls and texts that is happening there.

Cool. One of my set things to do is hand the phone to my 8 yr old twins and just let the twins say hello to them before I do and since they are Not allowed BY LAW to speak with young children they usually just hang up and if not I tell the caller I just celebrated my 97 or 98 bday and then tell them about the cake and candles and ice cream and the gifts and about who came to my party and whatever else I feel like ad- libbing, oh and the car is either a 86 yugo or a Bugatti which as we know the Bugatti is stupid high for even simple things like oil changes !! I mean it can cost upwards of almost a 150 thousand dollars for a tire change !! So they Don't want Anything to do with those cost !!

Top Bottom