What's new

Shredding brush.

That brush doesn't happen to have any sort of logo on the bottom of the handle, does it? A windmill perhaps?

Auction site sellers often include a brush with Old Spice mugs to make it a usable set. Is there a chance you may have assumed the brush was an Old Spice brush without any intentional misdirection on the part of the seller?
Nothing on the bottom. I was mainly interested in the mug and thought oh cool a brush too. Doesn't really bother me.

It,s funny you ask...... I have been on the hunt for the last 17 months and I found my Old Spice Brush here is a couple of pics

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

And I hope you find yours

Last edited:
It does look like a VDH brush. I had one and tossed it after it kept loosing hair, they have the same handle now with boar brushes only black handle. If your lucky and after writing a complaint to VDH about their Badger brush loosing hair they sent me a decent Badger brush.

You are right; it is either a Van Der Hagen or its predecessor Surrey; they're the same brush. This is a boar. They were widely sold and widely regarded as crap. I had one too, was my first brush, I pitched it after six months of shedding and bought something nicer. This one should either be reknotted or tossed in favor of something better.

Where did you get it?

According to www.oldspicecollectibles.com that brush was part of a short lived set that was sold in the mid-'80s. You'd have to look for those on eBay now unless you luck into one.

Shulton was never big into supplying brushes. They just offered the mug and soap kit. In those days Ever-Ready and Made Rite brushes were reasonably widely available and so when you see a mug for sale it typically comes with a third party brush (like your Surrey) because those eBay sales are estate cleanouts. They're selling the deceased's mug and brush.

If you like brushes with barber handles, the usual shaving vendors or eBay/Amazon can usually supply something like an Omega 98. It will probably have boar bristle. Some guys like badger hair or synthetic fiber instead of boar but then you'll get a standard handle.

Good luck in your quest it has taken me 17 months to find one, mine should be here for the weekend fingers crossed....

Yeah that definitely does not seem to be a common thing. I count four on eBay now, all part of their original set with the mug and stand, but holy $$$. Can't speak for OP but no way would I buy those kits for as much as they're asking.

Top Bottom