What's new

Ambassador lowest setting

Forum searching didn't find a lot on this ... at lowest settings, what is the Ambassador comparable to (Feather ASD2, Henson Mild, 34C/23C, DE89, etc.)? Is it really mild and smooth at lowest settings? One of the major retailers said lowest setting is still like a Karve C plate or Henson Medium, which is pretty aggressive for lowest setting. And is the Ambassador more comfortable/smooth than the Envoy. Honestly, I found that razor harsh / not for me no matter what blade I tried

That is probably a very good descriptor of its aggrression. My Ambassador is aggressive throughout the range. I still use it occasionally but get far better shaves from other razors.

Are you after an adjustable? A new razor? or looking for the "perfect" one razor? (Which describes me.) I have far tooooooo many razors and one day hope to settle on "The One". The closest I have come for adjustable is the Tatara Muramasa, it goes from a bit too mild to a bit too aggressive, which makes it almost perfect. A Kai blade solves the mild end and a Nacet covers the top end when I want a super close blade feely shave. For single 3pc razor the Karve Overlander is hard to go wrong. Again a Kai will step up the aggression and blade feel of the Overlander but it shaves so perfectly with my normal Nacet and Feather blades that it is more for having fun than needing the slight added dimension that Kai blades offer.

Like @AshleyC, I have the Flexi OC and I leave it on 6. Is is aggressive? Yup. But also easy to use and I have never nicked myself or given myself weepers etc at all. The shave is amazingly close yet forgiving. You do let the weight of the razor do the work. It's the only adjustable I have and is terrifically priced for a quality razor.

Neither Rex Ambassador nor Rex Konsul will fit into your scope (if at all, the Konsul, since it sports less bladefeel...).

If you want to spend some $$ for a premium adjustable razor on the milder end of the scale, perhaps consider a Tatara Muramasa instead... or the Osprey (lower settings).

As far as I remember my Rex Ambassador which I sold, the blade gap was on the smaller side but the Ambassador has a huge positive blade exposure and so feels quite aggressive on any setting.
i sold my Ambassador (and Pearl Flexi) too as even at the low settings they were too aggressive for my tastes.

As others have said, if you find the Envoy too harsh, the Ambassador likely won't be the one for you.

I believe the Envoy is equivalent to setting 3 on the Ambassador. The Ambassador will be wasted on you if you're stuck at setting 1-2.

I only use the Ambassador and use setting 3 for every shave (4-5 if I have a beard). It's not for everyone do to its aggressiveness but it works for me.

Envoy is on the 3 or 3.5 of Ambassador
I hear everywhere that Ambassador is aggressive...effective yes, aggressive no
The Konsul has less blade feel and is much smoother, but still remains effective at high settings

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Ambassador/Envoy have a lot of positive exposure. So some find it too much for them, they can only use it at a low setting.
The upside is, even at a very low setting the razor has a lot of blade sticking out, so it will still be effective.

It will definitely be an entirely different feeling to razors with neutral or even negative blade exposure, so a comparison is IMO not really working.

One of the major retailers said lowest setting is still like a Karve C plate or Henson Medium, which is pretty aggressive for lowest setting.
The Henson Medium is likely smoother. I only have the Envoy and a similar Gibbs clone with the Yaqi Ultima, so this is an educated guess based on experience with these and other razors. The Henson is super smooth and gives a very good shave. The drama with me and Henson is that I can get a very good shave with it, but never quite get perfection. For quite a lot it works out perfectly, though.
Peace, brothers. Don't want to bash Henson, I just... would need the +++++ plate, I am afraid. But that's me.

you know, the Konsul is not bad as a razor it has a high cost... but after trying RR SuperSlant I think you can save yourself your money
... if you manage to choose the suited baseplate option right out of the gate. Otherwise the SS might get pricey, too, at least if you want to have different blade gap options handy... say a razor plus 2 extra plates... 😉
That's the overall big plus of an adjustable razor... :)

... if you manage to choose the suited baseplate option right out of the gate. Otherwise the SS might get pricey, too, at least if you want to have different blade gap options handy... say a razor plus 2 extra plates... 😉
That's the overall big plus of an adjustable razor... :)
Yes RR SS can be very expensive, but it seems smart to me to start from plate L2 then decide whether to go up or down level
I wouldn't call Konsul "Slant" but a half-slant 😂

At least with SS plates there is the option to resell them and get most of your money back. I have the L2 plate on mine and while I have yet to cut myself and it gives a very smooth finish I find even with a good preshave etc it leaves me a bit red having taken off too much skin layer. I think it's caused by the helical twist making the blade very tense with no natural movement.

Top Bottom