What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

A gorgeous antique hard iromono, full size and hand sawn sides.

199F88E2-FD49-4863-A9B8-218DC96C0A56.jpeg
0345BBAC-DB37-4BD4-9458-C0CFA5E24C66.jpeg
FB2847DA-653E-4457-B746-FD776B46E91F.jpeg
AF0E9F80-F82B-4B59-857A-E28BE000883B.jpeg
F49F1108-D236-4492-9DF0-F2BCCCC6450C.jpeg

Fingers crossed!
So I did a tomo slurry refresh on a W&B and got HHT 3 after stropping (I think I could get more if I spent a little more time). I usually finish on a misty slurry but I felt this one needed to be taken to water only to get the refinement I needed. It certainly has the most luxurious feel of any razor stone I have - very soft and suede like in feel, but still capable of finishing a razor. Many of my harder finishers can easily leave scratches on the bevel on water only but this one wasn't scratchy in the least. Very enjoyable and the easiest finisher to use on water only.

So I did a tomo slurry refresh on a W&B and got HHT 3 after stropping (I think I could get more if I spent a little more time). I usually finish on a misty slurry but I felt this one needed to be taken to water only to get the refinement I needed. It certainly has the most luxurious feel of any razor stone I have - very soft and suede like in feel, but still capable of finishing a razor. Many of my harder finishers can easily leave scratches on the bevel on water only but this one wasn't scratchy in the least. Very enjoyable and the easiest finisher to use on water only.
How hard it's it? I have a Nakayama kiita with iromono and it's rated a lvl 4.5 and the kiita slurry stone I use with it is rated at a lvl 4, same supplier. I think the bigger one is either softer or just releases grit easier. The stones more abrasive than I expected just from what I've read on jnats. The slurries break down and get dark real fast. 3 quick(until they break down) tomo nagura slurries and it gave up an amazing shave. I was looking around for an actual benchstone today because I like the stone so much.

How hard it's it? I have a Nakayama kiita with iromono and it's rated a lvl 4.5 and the kiita slurry stone I use with it is rated at a lvl 4, same supplier. I think the bigger one is either softer or just releases grit easier. The stones more abrasive than I expected just from what I've read on jnats. The slurries break down and get dark real fast. 3 quick(until they break down) tomo nagura slurries and it gave up an amazing shave. I was looking around for an actual benchstone today because I like the stone so much.
To my surprise I just took a kiridashi to it and it reacted like a very hard stone - slow cutting action on the soft iron jigane, and a super high polish on the entire bevel. I'm not great at putting numbers to hardnesses, I prefer to describe how the stone reacts in certain situations. Maybe it was that particular kiridashi, but it does seem like it's a pretty hard stone, yet feels soft and luxurious under a razor. You're looking for a Nakayama kiita bench stone?

To my surprise I just took a kiridashi to it and it reacted like a very hard stone - slow cutting action on the soft iron jigane, and a super high polish on the entire bevel. I'm not great at putting numbers to hardnesses, I prefer to describe how the stone reacts in certain situations. Maybe it was that particular kiridashi, but it does seem like it's a pretty hard stone, yet feels soft and luxurious under a razor. You're looking for a Nakayama kiita bench stone?
I was looking around. I decided I need to finish flattening and testing the other larger ones I have. They aren't too small, but at some point in the fairly near future I'll be looking for a Nakayama kiita bench stone. I like the one I got.

Posting in this thread have me my second wind so I went and flattened some stones. Decided to shave off the Nakayama Mizu Asagi that still had saw marks in it. It seemed to have tiny su in it but I think I got past most of it. It felt like a bumpy coticule. I used a gujyo nagura that was rated at 3k by the seller, 2 of them came with the Mizu Asagi. The slurry broke down quickly, base stone seems a little more abrasive than the kiita, more draw. Kinda felt like a bumpy coticule. I used my kiita nagura to do 2 final slurries and finished on a pretty diluted slurry that had broken down. Probably the smoothest shave I've ever had. It didn't feel anywhere near a keen as the kiita but the only difference in shave was smoothness. Very impressed with this stone. Hopefully I don't end up with a Japanese brick pile. Maybe a couple bench stone but the medium- large bouts/koppas have been fairly impressive so far. Bottom stone in the picture, seller rated 8-10k and is say that 10k is bang on if not conservative. I paid less for this stone and the 2 gujyo naguras than I did the last coticule slurry stone I bought, but shipping was more.

20220623_192031.jpg

When the stone is dry. Take a drop of water and just place it on the stone. Let it sit and see how long it take to start absorbing. That will give you an idea of hardness too. If it sits for only a few minutes and then starts to absorb it is probably more medium stone below 4 also below 4 will self slurry under a blade with pressure. If it sits proud for 30 minutes or more it is probably around the 4-5 range hard pressure and effort is required to get slurry in this range. If it sits proud and round on the surface for an hour or more it is probably more in the 5+ and up range. These won't slurry under even extreme pressure from a blade. These are just helpful variables and not hard facts though.

When the stone is dry. Take a drop of water and just place it on the stone. Let it sit and see how long it take to start absorbing. That will give you an idea of hardness too. If it sits for only a few minutes and then starts to absorb it is probably more medium stone below 4 also below 4 will self slurry under a blade with pressure. If it sits proud for 30 minutes or more it is probably around the 4-5 range hard pressure and effort is required to get slurry in this range. If it sits proud and round on the surface for an hour or more it is probably more in the 5+ and up range. These won't slurry under even extreme pressure from a blade. These are just helpful variables and not hard facts though.
Thanks for the tip, I'm trying this out now.

This is great advice, looks like I got some testing to do this weekend.

Here are some pictures of droplets of water on top of my recent iromono. The middle drop which is wider was dropped from a greater distance than the other drops. This means it started out thinner than the other drops, which may explain why I absorbed into the stone faster. Right now at an hour and 15 minutes the two smaller drops left are flattened out but not soaked in all the way. I think it’s safe to say it’s a hard stone.

40 minutes
98C203C2-BEB2-4898-BD16-5E464C9D712C.jpeg

50 minutes
53A015FA-D71F-46A9-A993-94CC4D86E696.jpeg

60 minutes
35A02049-3624-43F1-A20E-669EEA4567DE.jpeg

I just had to try this water drop evaporation test on my jnats. I used an eye dropper and did a 1 drop, a 2 drop and a 3 drop sized pool. 80°F indoor at 53% Humidity!

To start:
20220625_101223.jpg
30 minutes and first evap:
20220625_104145.jpg
1hour:
20220625_111006.jpg
1.5hour (tan tomo evapped):
20220625_114027.jpg
2hour:
20220625_121605.jpg
3hour:
20220625_131355.jpg

Before the drop test, using my limited jnat experience I would of guessed (from left to right) tan tomo 3.5/5, dark grey tomo a 3/5, the tan "nakayama" next to it 4/5, Narutaki long grey 4.5/5, and both the last two ozukus 5/5. Drop test was really close to my guesses! Pretty fun test. I currently prefer the tan "nakayama" and long grey Narutaki which are a touch softer than the two on the right. The grey tomo I believe is a yamaichi? it feels great by itself and makes wonderful slurry, wish I had a proper sized stone of it!

Top Bottom