What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Yes. I wish I’d bought more of them when they were more available.
You and me both!
I got to see when I visited him about a dozen uncleaned and 6-8 ready for sale and they were sone of the nicest both in performance and looks I have ever laid eyes on. No exageration at all! Real talk!

So this arrived today. Has hand sawn sides and is in the 5+LV hardness in testing seems fast on it's own slurry and polishes really nice on water only. Seems real fine, but need to do a full test with a good razor and a shave to test. The first pic is after lapping and dry. The others are before lapping and show a little darker as the stone was not completely dry yet. Anyone know what the kanji reads other than the nakayama stamp?
Nakanasiro6.jpeg
NakaNasiro5.jpegNakaNasiro1.jpegNakaNasiro2.jpegNakaNasiro3.jpegNakaNasiro4.jpeg

So this arrived today. Has hand sawn sides and is in the 5+LV hardness in testing seems fast on it's own slurry and polishes really nice on water only. Seems real fine, but need to do a full test with a good razor and a shave to test. The first pic is after lapping and dry. The others are before lapping and show a little darker as the stone was not completely dry yet. Anyone know what the kanji reads other than the nakayama stamp?
Great looking piece, but I’m not sure if those are hand sawn sides. It looks more like a coarse scratch pattern than the long gentle curve and deep ridges of a hand saw mark.

Great looking piece, but I’m not sure if those are hand sawn sides. It looks more like a coarse scratch pattern than the long gentle curve and deep ridges of a hand saw mark.
Thanks. Looking closely at all sides it is saw marks. The seller also has other stones with obvious saw marks. So most likely old stock stone. Either way doesn't change the quality of the stone so just a fun foot note.

Thanks. Looking closely at all sides it is saw marks. The seller also has other stones with obvious saw marks. So most likely old stock stone. Either way doesn't change the quality of the stone so just a fun foot note.
It does have an old look to it, something about the pattern too. Have you noticed that some patterns on older stones have a different impression than patterns on later mined stones? I think Alex Gilmore might have said old stone patterns look more “organic”, but let me see if I can find the source.

I’ve certainly seen patterns on very old stones that I have not seen on newer stones at all.

It does have an old look to it, something about the pattern too. Have you noticed that some patterns on older stones have a different impression than patterns on later mined stones? I think Alex Gilmore might have said old stone patterns look more “organic”, but let me see if I can find the source.

I’ve certainly seen patterns on very old stones that I have not seen on newer stones at all.

I have noticed what you speak of and I tend to look for those types of tells when hunting.

Also the test shave from a Wostenholm wedge off this stone was excellent. Definitely one of my new favorites.

Anyone have any ideas on where this rock came from, or the Japanese words used to describe the color/markings on the honing surface?

The stone is 7.5x2.5x1, is extremely hard and fine…it produces a wonderfully smooth, yet laser sharp edge…and it will make a mirror on the bevel near the edge.

In addition, the markings on the back say:

JB 21,000-
KM 28.12
Fx3

I am really curious, because this has become a prized, if I could only keep two, type of hone!

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

9C4AFA42-B10A-4285-8D19-6F1B4C07137D.jpeg
D3BC03D7-5073-4361-98BB-0C793020545D.jpeg
3C45F1C1-A5B1-47D5-876A-0F3AE9B47AB6.jpeg

Got the second stone in from So - what a beauty. A very old, very pure Nakayama Kiita. Super excited to test this out - unfortunately there's a pretty reasonable chip in the edge that I'll have to lap out before using, it's a few mm for sure, but I'd rather not have to avoid it :/ (seen in the second photo, left hand side)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Got the second stone in from So - what a beauty. A very old, very pure Nakayama Kiita. Super excited to test this out - unfortunately there's a pretty reasonable chip in the edge that I'll have to lap out before using, it's a few mm for sure, but I'd rather not have to avoid it :/ (seen in the second photo, left hand side)

You don't absolutely have to lap that. Just round over the sharp edge of that chip. If it's a real Maruka, wasting mm of material wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion. Is that stamp black in color?

You don't absolutely have to lap that. Just round over the sharp edge of that chip. If it's a real Maruka, wasting mm of material wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion. Is that stamp black in color?

That's a good point. I'd rather not waste material, so - sandpaper rounding it is! Yes, both stamps are black in color:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I never seen a double maruka stamp and a black one either. If they did not come from So-san I would have thought they are fake.
His reputation is held in high regard so not saying they are fake, but a new one to me.

Top Bottom