What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Just finished sealing and lapping this Ozuku. It’s not quite a brickbut comfortably a slab I think.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’ve just got this one on an auction site, seller didn’t give any info but it looks good to me so I bit the bullet. Can anyone help me identify the stamp on top? I’ve searched the web but couldn’t find that exact stamp. It looks like a letter ヤ under the mountain.
027AD163-00E4-4B94-AE2F-F903DEDEF77D.jpeg
67181068-E787-4A3A-BAED-E3F5984A6CC8.jpeg
9F27B8EF-F1DA-4646-8839-AA50545369E2.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It appears to be a ‘Matsunaga’ stamp, a whetstone company. It looks similar to one of the Hatanaka stamps, especially when it’s handwritten. The stamp on the lower right is ‘jyun’ or ‘pure’, and the one lower left is a ‘tokusen’ or hand/especially selected goods

Ozuku asagi Purchased from Maksim. Had to get it after I tried a blade from one of the users here that was sharpened on a jnat.
great stone and wondering why I waited.

Attachments

• 60332988007__EBB92D0E-472E-4DCE-91D8-A2DBD8B20128 (1).jpg
    60332988007__EBB92D0E-472E-4DCE-91D8-A2DBD8B20128 (1).jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 36
May I present my lovely Suminagashi JNAT.
This stone is hard, not soft, not excessively hard, but just hard enough for the finishing stage of razor honing.
In the beginning the honing feeling was scratchy and uncomfortable but after a lot of lapping now the stone's surface is smooth as the skin of a baby and a joy to hone with. It has no inclusions and sometimes while honing it almost looks like the red veins in the design pop out like a lightning in a storm.

This JNAT is so beatiful that I almost don't care about the edge it produces. However fortunately enough, the resulting edges are indeed comfortable and pass the HHT.
Unfortunately these poorly shot pictures don't do justice to this stunning JNAT.

IMG_20200225_192519474.jpg

IMG_20200225_192536540.jpg

IMG_20200225_192559725.jpg

Hi all

I asked a good pal to find this for me while he was in Japan. Who's got the info on it?!

Thank you
SS

Attachments

• Stone.jpg
    Stone.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 25
For identification, stamps no needed, need properties - a photo from all sides and macro, as in work. But in general, if you asked to find a stone, then you found it :adoration:
It can be something from arato / nakato, for example, binsui or not very pure Mikawa nagura - a many of black spots - this is rough.

I asked for a botan nagur===

I will post more pictures tomorrow. I left it at work! CRAP!

Hello Alex,
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for sharing your interesting stories.
I have shoubudani iromono nagura and am very pleased with it.
2020-02-08 08.30.13.jpg

2020-02-08 08.35.28.jpg

So you are saying its not a good jnat to finish razors on?
Yeah I really don't understand how one can make that simple statement by just looking at the stone, let alone what's 2mm under the surface.
I have 1 damn fine and hard suita and it gives my razors a nice finish. All suitas or stones don't behave the same, although most seem to be fast (if I'm going to put the suita in a category that is)
Your stone does not look like a suita but looks can be deceiving, so I could be wrong ofcourse.
But if I would take a wild guess without any info I would say "kiita", but again, I could be wrong.
Finish capability can only be decided by testing it.
If it gives a good edge, then no problem, right?

Yeah I really don't understand how one can make that simple statement by just looking at the stone, let alone what's 2mm under the surface.
I have 1 damn fine and hard suita and it gives my razors a nice finish. All suitas or stones don't behave the same, although most seem to be fast (if I'm going to put the suita in a category that is)
Your stone does not look like a suita but looks can be deceiving, so I could be wrong ofcourse.
But if I would take a wild guess without any info I would say "kiita", but again, I could be wrong.
Finish capability can only be decided by testing it.
If it gives a good edge, then no problem, right?

Is asagi and suita the same thing? Also the guy I got it from is in japan and I fully believe he is very knowledgeable and wouldnt give me something that wouldnt work well. I got the stone from zenrazors on etsy. It's the same guy who I got the San Kan and BaBa razors from. But, I do not know anything about jnats and classification or anything. The only info I have is Flo said it was an asagi stone. He has a link on YouTube demonstrating the stone. I will post that here.

Top Bottom