What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Here are a couple of new acquisitions, the karasu arrived Saturday and the butterscotch kiita on Christmas eve, so I’ve had a karasu and kiita Kristmas, the best kind! They’re both razor grade but I’m still evaluating them of course. The kiita is a darker butterscotch color that Alex Gilmore said is indicative of old stone, older than the brighter, greener kiita mined later in the 50s and 60s. It’s Nakayama based on the patches sparkling black skin. Possibly a real Maruichi - they never stamped stones, closed in the 1920s IIRC, and were known for their fitted bases. It measures 195mm long and about 70 wide, so a bit of an irregular 60 cut stone. I like the size a lot, oversize for razors really, but most are still small enough to hand hold if you want.

The barber size karasu has some depth to the pattern and is a welcome addition as razor karasu always are in my shop.

View attachment 1047389View attachment 1047390View attachment 1047391
I wonder what they used to flatten the bottom of the stones back in the day? The kiita almost looks like it was put on a large lapping wheel of some sort.

I came across a pic from Japan with a big lapping wheel and stones sitting on it. Like the one they use for cotis. Will try to find it and post it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yes, they used a large wheel. Alex used to have some images from Hiderayama that showed one I believe.

this one is from Pinterest, Japanese blog on sharpening.
Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 9.45.12 AM.png

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Congrats Steve, both stones look fantastic. Lets hope they perform as good as the look.

So far so good, they’re both excellent. I’m 2 shaves in, the second shave I reversed the test Monkeys on the hones as the karasu seemed to have an edge (pun alert) in the first shave. Second shave, both about the same, that is to say that they’re both winners. Now to see how they respond to clear water finishing. Both stones are very very smooth.

@alex1921 - that’s the wheel I was thinking of.

DB123D49-B120-433D-8A15-95C47684CFC2.jpeg
D4994B3B-6264-4E95-ADD8-E09EB1A0B064.jpeg

Kiita suita is possible, there have been some for sale by the known sellers over the years.
This one even though it has some small pinholes is not a suita. At least it doesnt look like it is to me. I have an old nakayama kiita I got from Alex Gilmore few years ago that also has few of those tiny holes. From what I have read not all holes mean the stone is a suita.

Kiita suita is possible, there have been some for sale by the known sellers over the years.
This one even though it has some small pinholes is not a suita. At least it doesnt look like it is to me. I have an old nakayama kiita I got from Alex Gilmore few years ago that also has few of those tiny holes. From what I have read not all holes mean the stone is a suita.

Yes kiita suita is definitely possible I have one, but with the strawberry color mixed in the layers I call it iromono.

Alex what do the sides look like?

Top Bottom