What's new

Should Traditional Wet Shavers Use Barbasol? What Say You? (Philosophical Debate)

Now I want to check the other Walmarts for Barbasol. 🤣 The one near my place and near my work have none. I am not sure if they even carry it anymore. It's the only place I have bought it at and that was a year ago.

Now I want to check the other Walmarts for Barbasol. 🤣 The one near my place and near my work have none. I am not sure if they even carry it anymore. It's the only place I have bought it at and that was a year ago.
Are you in Canada or the US? I can't find it in Toronto,so I contacted Barbasol and their customer service said that distribution is now limited to Dollar Tree in Canada. Of course I can't find it there either.

Are you in Canada or the US? I can't find it in Toronto,so I contacted Barbasol and their customer service said that distribution is now limited to Dollar Tree in Canada. Of course I can't find it there either.

Oh, ok now it makes sense. Yes, I am in Canada and Dollar Tree here used to sell it in the small travel size cans only and not the full-size ones. Even then all they ever seemed to have on the shelf was the one for sensitive skin and not the regular Barbasol. Now they don't seem to carry that either. Just their own generic brand of shave foam. :sad:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Oh, ok now it makes sense. Yes, I am in Canada and Dollar Tree here used to sell it in the small travel size cans only and not the full-size ones. Even then all they ever seemed to have on the shelf was the one for sensitive skin and not the regular Barbasol. Now they don't seem to carry that either. Just their own generic brand of shave foam. :sad:

Hello Frank! I hope that life has been treating you well, aside from the issue of not finding Barbasol at your local store. I'm afraid the only solution for you, is to order it online, and if you have Amazon Prime, you can get it with free shipping. You know, I find it concerning that after 2-years, going on 3, that we have been dealing with supply shortages, and there appears to be no end in sight.

Still to this day, when I make my monthly grocery order (dry goods) on Amazon, I am still finding that they don't stock certain brands anymore, I have no idea whats going on with either Amazon, or the vendors for Amazon. All I know is, I am forced to switch brands, and accept that reality, because there is no other option.

And our local stores arn't always exempt of the supply shortage issues either. Not that long ago I walked into my local super market, and the pet food isle was completely bare! Thankfully I was able to order food online for my cat, otherwise I would have been forced to feed him human food to get by. Oh cats, they will eat almost anything, chicken, fish, beef, you name it. But, you know what they say, its healthier to feed them a balanced diet of the dry food and the wet foods.

Yeah, personally, I am not seeing anything getting better at all regarding the supply shortage. I hear people in media always talking about how things are getting better but, the reality of this world, in which I am forced to live in and experience, I am forced to say, the media are wrong. The world is still a mess, and nobody is in a hurry to clean it up.

Sorry for the tangent, but sometimes certain things, get me ranting. But yeah, just order the Barbasol online, I think thats your best bet.

Not to say "yay" or "nay" but just to give another option: There is a Barbasol cream in a tube. Says "Barbasol since 1919" on it. The tube is dark blue. If a person were wanting to use Barbasol but had some particular aversion to aerosol canned versions they could try the tube of cream instead. This could give a person the option of saying both "yes" and "no" to the question.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Not to say "yay" or "nay" but just to give another option: There is a Barbasol cream in a tube. Says "Barbasol since 1919" on it. The tube is dark blue. If a person were wanting to use Barbasol but had some particular aversion to aerosol canned versions they could try the tube of cream instead. This could give a person the option of saying both "yes" and "no" to the question.

WOW, what a great idea! I totally forgot that Barbasol sold proper creams in a tube. And after you mentioned that specific version of cream, its now triggered my memory of Sinatra Lennon using Barbasol 1919! And yes, I think its a good idea to get away from aerosolized shaving products, just for your health alone, who wants to be inhaling those Butane/Propane propellants? Companies who actually care about your health, will use Nitrogen instead.

See, thats one of the many reasons why I love this site, lots of folks on here have great ideas. And now I have a new idea for science next month. And whats that you ask? Well, I am going to buy me a tube of that Barbasol 1919, and I am going to give you folks my opinions on both its performance as a cream, but also what I think of the scent profile. So glad I made this thread! Thanks @BigLeegr

Philosophically speaking I don't think a traditional wet shaver can use Barbasol or other canned aerosol shaving foams. Here are my tongue in cheek reasons why:

Firstly, there is nothing wet about shaving foam. So you would merely be shaving, not wet shaving.

Secondly, Barbasol has only been around since the 1950's. Shaving soaps have been around since the late 1800's. Comparatively speaking Barbasol is therefore not traditional.

Thirdly, shaving foam is the precursor to the evil cartridge razor! When the white fluffy stuff you slap on your visage has all the lubricating qualities of a dry dishcloth you need a lubricating strip and 5 blades....

Fourthly, I don't like it. So obviously nobody else should either....

😉

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Philosophically speaking I don't think a traditional wet shaver can use Barbasol or other canned aerosol shaving foams. Here are my tongue in cheek reasons why:

Firstly, there is nothing wet about shaving foam. So you would merely be shaving, not wet shaving.

Secondly, Barbasol has only been around since the 1950's. Shaving soaps have been around since the late 1800's. Comparatively speaking Barbasol is therefore not traditional.

Thirdly, shaving foam is the precursor to the evil cartridge razor! When the white fluffy stuff you slap on your visage has all the lubricating qualities of a dry dishcloth you need a lubricating strip and 5 blades....

Fourthly, I don't like it. So obviously nobody else should either....

😉
I live by your "fourthly" my friend, and that's why I have no friends in the outside werld!

...I think its a good idea to get away from aerosolized shaving products, just for your health alone, who wants to be inhaling those Butane/Propane propellants? Companies who actually care about your health, will use Nitrogen instead.

See, thats one of the many reasons why I love this site, lots of folks on here have great ideas. And now I have a new idea for science next month.
Speaking of science, the reason butane is used is because it will become a liquid under moderate pressure, so your shaving cream can is not the size of a welding tank.

:biggrin:

It's not really unhealthy unless you inhale too high a concentration. The amount used in a few squirts of shaving cream is tiny.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Speaking of science, the reason butane is used is because it will become a liquid under moderate pressure, so your shaving cream can is not the size of a welding tank.

:biggrin:

It's not really unhealthy unless you inhale too high a concentration. The amount used in a few squirts of shaving cream is tiny.

Thanks for the tidbit of information, I always like learning new things, as it advances my understanding of things.

I don't understand what's philosophical about the question. If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't. I guess maybe that's a philosophy, after all.

I've never liked it, not the smell, or the way it made my skin feel, the first time I used it when I was a teen. So I don't use it.

Well, my thinking process at the time was. I wonder what the general consensus is, of folks who are traditional wet shavers, think we should, or should not be using Barbasol, based on its performance and scent profile.

And then my second thought process was, I wonder what people's philosophy of thought would be, on weather they think, its best to use Barbasol straight out of the can, or, increase its slickness performance, by working it up into a proper lather in a bowl first.

That is one of the reasons why I posted those video's from GeoFatBoy. To be honest, after watching his video's, it really ignited an interest in me. And since I never make posts like this on B&B, I figured this would make a good first one. I just wanted to see what other people thought about it.

That's all I've seen too, their own brand. I've read that people can still find it in various Canadian shops but it's probably just remainder stock. I always like keeping a can for occasional use, if only for the memories it evokes.

Top Bottom