What's new

Should I give Derby blades a shot? (Feather user)

Well, since I don't know where to get cheap Feathers anymore, would Derby be a good substitute? Also, who has a good price on em?

Well, since I don't know where to get cheap Feathers anymore, would Derby be a good substitute? Also, who has a good price on em?

Derby or Crystal work for me. Really, I'd go to westcoastshaving.com and get a sampler pack.

I have a couple packs of feathers I have yet to try. I guess I'll have to :)

Derbys and Crystals get my :thumbup:

They both work great for me. Several people sell the Derbys. The Crystals can be had dirt cheap at Westcoastshaving.com. I picked up 100 for less than $15, I believe, from there.

I love my Derbys. There was a special offering on a german wetshaving board. I got 100 blades for 8,90 € including shipping, that's about US$ 13.86.

I never understood the attraction to Derby blades. I tried them a few times and got very mixed results. They aren't nearly as sharp as Feathers, so you will be in for a much different experience in that respect should you try them.

They aren't nearly as sharp as Feathers, so you will be in for a much different experience in that respect should you try them.

Agreed. The Derby blades feel almost blunt by comparison to Feathers. You really have to be determined in order to cut or nick yourself. I find them a great option if I have been over-enthusiastic with a Feather and want to give my face a bit of healing time. However, while the result is a very smooth shave, I find that the smoothness doesn't last as long.

Cheers

Jeremy

I don't think your going to like the derby blades if you really like feathers. Derby's seem smooth, maybe a little too smooth. I don't get any irritation from them but I have to go 1 more pass and do a lot of touch up.

Sounds like you've been de shaving longer than me, so if you do end up trying a sample pack I would like to know what you think.

Hmm, For me the feather is not agressive enough...
(my hair grows funny and going it at different directions STILL leaves very fine stubble)

Hmm, For me the feather is not agressive enough...
(my hair grows funny and going it at different directions STILL leaves very fine stubble)

A Feather, not aggressive enough? What is then - a surface grinder? And don't you get tons of razor burn from that? :biggrin:

i haven't tried feathers yet, so i can't provide any direct comparison, but since you're curious about the derby, i'd recommend trying out the red israeli personna. i spent about 2 weeks going back and forth between the two blades in my standard HD/proraso setup. at the end i concluded that the red personnas were just as sharp as the derbys, stayed sharper longer and were cheaper to boot!

i have yet to find another blade that kicks so much stubble for only a dime.

i've got 100 coming this week. PM me with your address and i'll be happy to send you a couple to try if you like....

david r.

I second the notion that you should try a sampler. The Derby's do not agree with me at all. No way to know really until you try.

Dave

Yes, you should try them. I am a Feather user. The Derbys don't work nearly as well for me as the Feathers, so I just sold my stash. Only one way to find out. Best - MM

To my face, the Astra Superior Platinum blade feels the closest to the Feather, which is to say sharp as H E double hockey sticks and lasts for a good week, but has much potential for user error and a good chance for a bit of :blushing: burn.

I'd recommend Astra Keramik blades. Not quite as sharp as Feathers but plenty sharp enough and very smooth and a bit cheaper, especially if you buy 100 of them from Giovanni at Tryphon Enterprises.

They are especially forgiving in aggressive razors like the Slant. You'll get a close shave and save some blood at the same time.

I've tried a bundle of other blades and find it curious that the Keramik is seldom mentioned on this site. For DE blades, I'll use these and Feathers as long as I can get them.

GV

Top Bottom