What's new

Shortages in the grocery stores...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In Canada there are lots of potato farmers with huge stockpiles they can’t sell, and are about to have to decide IF they should bother planting this year’s crop.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In Canada there are lots of potato farmers with huge stockpiles they can’t sell, and are about to have to decide IF they should bother planting this year’s crop.

That makes me wonder why the only White potatoes I can buy at Freshco are bags of Small Gourmet and No Frills only had Yellows. I guess White taters are a frill lol.

Saw a reporter on an NJ tv station last night saying that flour is the new TP. When I told my wife, she said no wonder the flour shelf was near empty when we went last week. I didn't notice. As long as my local liquor store has gin on the shelf, I can survive.
I don't think I've ever bought any flour. That's a strange thing to be out of.

I wondering if the problem for some is their local distributor. If you live in a smaller area and the local distributor decides not to keep the business going until after the shutdown, that might be the issue.

In another vein, one of my best friends is a doctor who works at a local hospital. She said that Covid 19 really has had little impact on her. The hospital isn't crowded and they just have a few Covid patients. This is 50 miles from Seattle (where a lot of this originally started).

Toilet Paper, meat, and cleaning supplies are wiped out here in Florida. Biggest surprise was absolutely no yeast, I just wanted to make some pizza dough and all of the stores were out.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My brother's girlfriend's parents, receive a care parcel of food due to them being sheltered. They have been bagging up the foods they don't eat, or other stuff they don't need (extra loo roll etc), and giving them to my brother's family. He in turn has been picking out what they need, then passing the rest onto me (and I suspect adding a few other bits in too).

My monthly shop came in Monday, my brother then dropped off two big bags of stuff for me on Wednesday, and my 7kg+ online butcher order I've had a six week wait for came in yesterday. I don't think I've ever had so much food in the house at any one time. I think all I might need for the next two months is bread, milk, and a few veggies.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The local market here in upstate NY (capital district) seems to be well-stocked with everything, save for baking supplies (flour and yeast), and paper products of any kind.

July 9 in Tucson and The local major grocery store finally has toilet paper at double the usual price but still still has no English muffins, no trash bags, or canned tuna fish. But you can get all the ice cream, frozen pizza, and frozen cauliflower TV dinners you want.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have finally worked out why there is a rush to buy toilet paper in times of uncertainty. It is all done by the SR shavers as they use toilet paper to clean and dry their blades after each shave. No toilet paper - no SR shaving 😱

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

The stores here in central Nebraska, all of them, are still having issues getting cold cuts, ham, smoked sausages, bacon. The hamburger, steak, roast, pork chop, ribs thing seems close to normal now.

We have most stuff now in this part of Maryland, including TP, hand sanitizer, bread, etc... but trying to get Clorox or Lysol tables wipes, or Wet Ones for the hands... give it up for those, as they are nowhere to be found.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We have most stuff now in this part of Maryland, including TP, hand sanitizer, bread, etc... but trying to get Clorox or Lysol tables wipes, or Wet Ones for the hands... give it up for those, as they are nowhere to be found.
I'm amazed that we've been buying hamburger for $2.49/lb here. Just two weeks ago it was double that. Still can't get rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer. Weird.

Breaking news - after weeks of no ground dried oregano, hence post above, I went to Cold Storage just now and the shelf is full of the stuff!!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We just have some odd bits and pieces that aren't around. For example, they haven't had large pasta shells the last couple of times we've gone. Just stuff like that.

Top Bottom