What's new

Shooting Naked

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
8BE504DA-DE87-472B-913C-9D7722D3728A.jpeg

.300 BO didn't fare as well, probably because I didn't use a sling.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You are shooting so many different calibers, hard to hone in on particular improvement techniques?

Do you have a .22 conversion by any chance? Could help with consistency to see what should/would/needs to be done when shooting different distances/calibers/platforms and much cheaper finding out.

Awesome reads. Thanks for taking the time doing and posting all of that. I have learned volumes so far. I wish I was there. :)
I was probably trying to do too much in one session, but it was fun. No, I don't have a .22 conversion. Next outing, I will stick to one caliber, probably the 5.56.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What technique are you now considering to stabilize for mag dumps?
I think it will all need a bunch more practice. In general, I did best with the 5.56 and when using the sling. But mag dumps are another animal and will require a lot more practice. When shooting without a sling, I attempted to shoot with a very tight posture where both elbows were against the rib cage. Not sure how consistent I was in that attempt. It is an unnatural thing for me, used to having the elbow of the supporting arm out front away from the ribcage. When using the sling, I'm trying to keep the receiver extension firm against the cheek and a forward pressure against the sling, in this case, my support elbow is not against the ribcage and there is sling tension against the support forearm. I'm kind of winging this as I go.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Well, It looks by the pics to me, all things went considerably well first time out.

In the original articles that you posted, did he say his stance and hold was rigid? Or did he allow recoil movement of the buffer tube past his cheek behind him?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I believe that buffer tube movement along the check is inevitable, but with a rigid hold it is minimized and follow up shots are faster with less movement of the RDS.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
259167AA-5E08-499A-AFDB-D444CEBA7B7C.jpeg
I shot my 5.56 AR pistol today with a sling and cheek weld technique. The above target was shot at 25 yds, 5 shots to the chest and 5 shots to the head. Shots were slow and deliberate. I did not compensate for it shooting low at 25, using the orange dots as a POA. I thought that I had a good picture of the target before I applied the pasters, but I had to take the pic again after it was pasted.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
E6868E69-427C-4858-99CA-93F0CAC22055.jpeg

50 yard target, five shots each, slow and deliberate, to chest and head. Same POA as with the 25 yd target.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
B36A0C6B-B49B-413A-AC4B-2C51BBA2C62B.jpeg

25 yds again, 20 rounds as ten doubletaps, fairly quickly. I basically pulled the trigger whenever the red dot was somewhere in the A-zone box, didn't use the orange dot as a POA. Subsequently my shots landed low.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A2BD0A73-1370-433B-AC54-D6AA5C1D7BAF.jpeg

50 yds, ten sets of double taps. I did use the orange dot as a rough POA.

I also did some shooting at the 100 yd steel plates, 10 rounds without the suppressor and 20 rounds with the suppressor. I connected with the steel most of the time if I didn't jerk the trigger or otherwise screw up.

The upshot of today's shooting session is that I need more practice with the cheek weld and sling shooting technique, but it shows promise. I need to work on my upper body strength, the technique does get tiring after awhile of maintaining sling tension and maintaining the proper upright posture, I find myself slipping back into a head tucked "tactical turtle" posture during a shooting string and have to correct myself.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I like what I'm seeing. Not bad at all.
Thanks Rob. I'm going to continue to concentrate on using the 5.56 for a while. It has an adjustable gas block that I will play with to see if I can moderate the recoil some for quicker follow up shots. My current muzzle device allows the use of my suppressor, but it's probably pretty obnoxious to bystanders when the suppressor is not in use. I have not had the chance to fire the pistol around others close by yet. I hope to shoot the pistol in a match soon and get others feedback. I have a Troy Claymore forward directing brake coming soon that I will try out eventually.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
F228785C-DAE2-4435-BA0D-FE9A3E8DE798.jpeg

I swapped out the fat Ergo grip for this FAB reduced angle grip, it doesn't tweak the wrist as much in a compressed firing position. I shot this AR pistol in a close range rifle match, targets between 15 and 50 yds., a mix of paper and steel. I did not feel disadvantaged by using it versus shooting a shouldered carbine.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I also tweaked the adjustable gas block settings a bit and that made follow up shots a bit quicker for double taps.

Top Bottom