What's new

Shick Double Edge from 2001

Any info on these?
IMG_20170121_182155.jpg IMG_20170121_182201.jpg

What kind of information are you looking for? I have a 10 blade pack. New Old Stock (NOS), discontinued I think, but still available. Great blade. I got 16 shaves from one I used last year, when I was just starting out in exploring the longevity of blades.

Thank you for the response, @Dog Whiskerer. My apologies for the vague question. I was looking for opinions on the performance of this blade. Also I'm wondering if these are the same as current production or old enough to be different. They're printed as 2001 and that's not old in comparison to some other blades but it's old enough to make me wonder if there was a change?

Also I'm wondering if these are the same as current production or old enough to be different. They're printed as 2001 and that's not old in comparison to some other blades but it's old enough to make me wonder if there was a change?

I would be surprised if they were in current production. If they are, they would be made by Energizer Battery, who owns Schick not. Schick's injector blades are made in China. That doesn't make them blade. "Chicks" as they are called, are good blades. So if China is making their double-edge blades, I image they'd be okay. But if Schick is still making DE blades, I haven't seen them.

Looking back in my shave journal, I shaved the entire month of March 2015 with a Schick Krona razor, loaded with the same blade you are asking about. Once I got used to the Krona and had my technique with the razor down, I was getting effortless shaves from about number 6 to number 14. Pulled the blade and moved it to a Gillette Red Tip and got two more shaves.

If I used the blade today, I'm sure I'd get at least 21 comfortable shaves, if not more. If you have the blades, use them. Enjoy the shave. Let us know how it goes.

That's definitely old stock. I remember buying those quite a while back. I still have the case as a blade bank. Decent blades. I don't recall slicing myself up with them, that's for sure, and I shaved using standard soap - nothing special.

Hi,

The last Schick blades I saw were Plus Platinum back in the late 80s. They were the last DE blades the drug stores carried. The Gillette Platinum Plus had gone away before the Schicks. By 1990, there was no stock left anywhere and it was off to the Surgical Supply store for Personna Med Preps or the half-the-cost Laboratory blades. Only issue with those were they were sold in 1000 packs. But, even the Med Preps had a lower per-blade cost.

I kept a couple of the Schick dispensers and reloaded them with Personna blades. I left one Schick blade in place as it made it easier to reload the dispenser.

But, while stores are back carrying DE blades these days, I have not seen these Schick ones.

Stan

Thank you for the replies. I grew up teaching myself cartridge shaving. I saw those "weird" blades in my grandfather's razor but never tried a double edge until three years ago.

The store that has these Shick blades have had the same two packs for many, many years. I'll be back that way soon. I only bought one pack to try but that won't happen until the "one blade in February" challenger is over.

Top Bottom