What's new

Shhhh! Tell no one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm here, quietly, from the DE safety razor forums, general and specific. I went looking on Alibaba Express or whatever for adjustable DEs...but was exposed to reasonably priced straights.

Of course, I would need to hone and whatot.

Are these a good starting point?

Here's my two-cents worth.

1) You don't have to spend a fortune to use a straight razor.

2) Until you know what you are doing, buy from a reputable source that specializes in delivering shave ready gear.

3) Larry at Whipped Dog helped me get started. https://www.whippeddog.com/ He can set you up with a very usable razor, strop, brush, and soap. Larry will help you pick the right stuff. Buying from Larry or someone like Larry means you will know the outcomes of your first few shaves are based on your technique and not your equipment.

4) I am sure other members will have other really good suggestions as to where to go to get the first razor and its accouterments.

5) Personally I would not buy a shavette, straight razor with a replaceable blade, for my first straight razor shaves. Others will have opinions to share here as well. :001_rolle

6) Please don't buy those $20 Alibaba straight razors until you are ready to practice the art of straight razor modification. Again, MHO and YMMV!

Have fun and watch out for the rabbit holes.

1) You don't have to spend a fortune to use a straight razor.

2) Until you know what you are doing, buy from a reputable source that specializes in delivering shave ready gear.

3) Larry at Whipped Dog helped me get started. https://www.whippeddog.com/ He can set you up with a very usable razor, strop, brush, and soap. Larry will help you pick the right stuff. Buying from Larry or someone like Larry means you will know the outcomes of your first few shaves are based on your technique and not your equipment.

4) I am sure other members will have other really good suggestions as to where to go to get the first razor and its accouterments.

5) Personally I would not buy a shavette, straight razor with a replaceable blade, for my first straight razor shaves. Others will have opinions to share here as well. :001_rolle

6) Please don't buy those $20 Alibaba straight razors until you are ready to practice the art of straight razor modification. Again, MHO and YMMV!

Have fun and watch out for the rabbit holes.

Just the kind of input I was looking for.

Shavettes just strike me the wrong way.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
869A1A43-1F75-454F-9DC1-0E64796D86C4.jpeg

You forgot the graphic, lol.

That is fantastic advice Bob!!! Larry is a great guy to deal with you cannot go wrong, a proper straight razor is more forgiving than a shavette.....

@AshleyC PM me your mailing address, I’ll send you a shave ready straight.

That is a very good of you Steve!!!

No Arko though, it’s lousy soap. Lol

Arko is a stable soap every shave den should have, and Tabac is a must.....

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
That is fantastic advice Bob!!! Larry is a great guy to deal with you cannot go wrong, a proper straight razor is more forgiving than a shavette.....

That is a very good of you Steve!!!

Arko is a stable soap every shave den should have, and Tabac is a must.....

I keep fresh sticks of Arko under my deck in summer. It keeps off the carpenter bees, the feral cats, and the possums. Good stuff, just not to shave with.

Well done Steve.

also plus one for whipped dog. start there for sure.

and no to shavettes. They'll hurt a beginner.

just whipped dog for leather and brush, then online for gold dollars and proraso red. hone on film at first.

welcome.

Shave first, hone second.

Start with two truly shave ready razors from a reputable source (Whipped Dog or B&B members). One to shave with and one to shave with when you have to send the first one out to refresh the edge.

After you are comfortable shaving and have learned what a "good" edge feels like, then pick up a cheap eBay razor, some stones or lapping film (easier and cheaper, but not as much fun IMHO), and practice until you can match the "good" edges you are shaving with.

Once you are there, spend the rest of your life acquiring every type of straight ever manufactured and every form of hone in existence.

Welcome to the madhouse!

Just the kind of input I was looking for.

Shavettes just strike me the wrong way.

I disagree and this is why. With a shavette, you know the blade is sharp. You’ll feel some tugging which is natural for a new user, but knowing it’s not the blade will help your skills development.

Always start with the blade flat on your face and the razor in your fingers. Learn to roll the blade around curves features.

If you decide to learn to hone. The most inexpensive, sure fire way is with a 3m non adhesive backed packet of films available from Amazon or EBay. Later you can add diamond pasted balsa to give you the DE shave your probably prefer . Easy as pie.

Look at used two piece Illinois strops on eBay. Send me a PM if I can help.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If you do go with a shavette, just be sure to mute the blade points on the blade before using. This is the cause of the most nicks when learning with a shavette. Otherwise, you can learn to shave with a shavette rather easily. Same shaving technique and as @Twelvefret said you will have a very shave ready razor without maintenance hassle. The Focus Al even has guards to protect from the corners but they are pricey $58. You will learn the two most important points of straight shaving - angle and pressure then learn to hone once you have learned to shave. IMHO

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I bought a shavette probably 2 Christmases ago. Looked like I was attacked, lol. Never had the courage to try again. I have my Great gramps's straight but I will eventually attempt using it. I am pretty sure it is sharp enough to hurt someone, but not to shave with, ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom