What's new

Shaving With The Souplex Open Comb

Souplex were a British razor manufacturer based in Morecombe, Lancashire and they produced some excellent razors in the 1920's-1940's, notably the fabulous bakelite Double Six and Double Six Minor.
They also produced a very attractive Art Deco metal open comb razor, marketed under the Souplex, Paragon and Big Ben brands though it's unclear what the differences between the different brands were.

Anyway, I 've been wanting to acquire one of these metal open combs for a long time, and now it's here!
proxy.php

The first thing to notice about the razor apart from its clean and elegant Art Deco lines is just how light it is - it has a hollow handle and weighs in at about 35g
proxy.php

I read that the Big Ben version has a solid heavier handle and possibly a different finish - my Souplex OC is plated with sparkling chrome :)
proxy.php
proxy.php

I'd also read varying reports as to the aggression or otherwise of this razor and the geometry is very interesting: small blade exposure and a small blade gap make for a mild and very comfortable shallow angle shave but the curvature of the baseplate allows for a steep angle shave too and this is equally comfortable but also shockingly efficient and, combined with the very light weight, reminds me of some of those fiercely aggressive bakelites.
proxy.php
proxy.php

So a bit like an adjustable or the Double Six which has a different blade exposure on each side, the Souplex Open Comb allows for either a mild shave with the shallow angle or a much fiercer shave with the steep angle.
Whether this is a brilliant piece of design or a happy accident, who knows? But it works great for me and I'm very pleased to have acquired this razor.

It's also ironic that since Tudor times and the Wars of the Roses, there has been a great rivalry between Lancashire, home of Souplex in Morecombe, and Yorkshire, home of the innumerable great Sheffield razor manufacturers.
proxy.php

I haven't tried any DEs from Sheffield, though I hear that the highly collectible Eclipse Red Ring isn't a particularly good shaver, but the Lancashire Souplex Open Comb with its unexpected variable geometry and awesome Art Deco looks is absolutely excellent.

Last edited:
Nice razor, congrats!

So, aggressive huh? How does it compare to an Old Type?
Thanks!
In the shallow angle the Souplex OC is a mild pussycat of a razor and with steep angle for me it is fierce but slightly less efficient than the Old Type though much much smoother.

I put an awesome NOS British Perma-Sharp blade in it, and it gave a lovely irritation free DFS+ shave :)

I shaved with my Souplex OC this morning and it's pretty aggressive for such a light (42g) razor.
I used a very light touch and fairly shallow angle, went for 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) when looking back 2 would have been enough!
No razor bumps, cuts or weepers, but I had some irritation at the base of my neck which I only get with really aggressive razors.
Thankfully the irritation only lasted about 30 minutes after applying my witch hazel splash.

I have the same razor and I'm pretty impressed with it as well. Very efficient and light. I use it with a woolfat soap and no irritation at all.

I have the same razor and I'm pretty impressed with it as well. Very efficient and light. I use it with a woolfat soap and no irritation at all.
Yeah I'm used to using much less aggressive razors & only have a light/moderate beard.
This is right up there with my Old Type in terms of efficiency or a bit like using my Slim on #9

I`m after one of these on the bay as for my travel razor. How does the blade sit on these? Does it need adjustment like other Old Type`s or Fatip`s ?

Thanks for a wonderfully detailed review including the interesting UK historic angle!

As a fellow Brit razor nut I need to bring out my Souplex again, I have a very nice cased specimen in great shape.

I only shaved with it once and didn’t notice any aggression. But then I always intuitively shave with a shallow angle.

As for the other Brits I have to say that I find them all great shavers. And the gorgeous Eclipse RR is at the top of the heap providing a unique shave experience with its superb open/closed comb setup.

But I also love the Darwin models and Shavex.

Thanks again :thumbup1:

I just received this OC Souplex and haven't used it yet. Unlike the other OC Souplex razors described above, this one is quite heavy as the handle is solid (steel, I believe). Looks like the Big Ben may not be the only one of the trio (Souplex, Big Ben, Paragon) of near identical razors that doesn't have a light, hollow (aluminum?) handle. Overall, the quality of the razor was better than I expected, the cap and base plate look and feel similar to a Wade and Butcher in my opinion which I believe are considered to be quite good quality razors.

Souplex Razor, Heavy Solid Handle, England1.JPGSouplex Razor, Heavy Solid Handle, England2.JPGSouplex Razor, Heavy Solid Handle, England3.JPGSouplex Razor, Heavy Solid Handle, England4.JPG

Top Bottom