What's new

Shaving when rushed or traveling

If I need to knock a few minutes off a shave, I use a DE instead of an SR.

I usually travel by auto and my Dopp has a complete kit with SR and a DE backup. If traveling by air, I would substitute a Trac Ii.

I always carry the same dopp kit, regardless of whether I fly domestically or internationally. It always goes in my checked luggage, so I don't worry about having anything confiscated. (Theft is a another matter, though. I had a digital camera stolen once, presumably by a baggage handler.) Anyway...

My kit currently contains:
1) Vie-Long 00159 boar (absolute garbage brush; V-L should be ashamed to make such trash!) (*)
2) Gillette Mach 3 (**)
3) Nivea Sensitive cream (tube)
4) Real Shaving Co. sensitive balm (tube) (***)
5) Three Swords pear-wood beard comb

Everything is widely available and cheap enough that I'm not worried about losing any of it, either through theft or loss.

(*) being replaced by a Maggard travel brush with an 18mm synthetic Timberwolf knot
(**) being replaced by a Maggard V3/MR11 combo and Astra SP blades
(***) being replaced by Nivea Sensitive ASB in a squirt bottle (RSC ASB is discontinued)

I usually don't shave when rushed; I just go out the door. If I am rushed, I'll probably do a quick two pass shave and keep the lathering time low.

For travel shaves, I have a set ready in my dopp kit: VDH razor, Maggard MR1, couple synthetic and boar brushes, couple blade samplers, VDH soap, Palmolive stick, and Aloe gel + Nivea Creme. Everything is pretty disposable although I wouldn't want to lose any of it. I enjoy my shaves with it but it's not the best. It does the job.

Up to this point I traveled with a single Gilette Fusion cart ( which shaved me very well but had some irritation and ingrown risk) and a cheap synthetic brush and whatever was my most used up soap at the time ( so I wouldn’t be as disappointed if it was lost). I recently purchased a stainless Karve that I’m still dialing in with plate selection but once I do that it’s purpose will be to be my travel razor. I’d much prefer a DE shave regardless of my location and I think this will eventually take the travel spot. Still expensive but not in the same ballpark as say a polished WR2 when It comes to price or rarity etc... I won’t take any chances risking loss or damage to my Wolfman. I am going to give a Gilette Skinguard a try just to see if it would work in a pinch. Ive just really come to dislike slimy lube strips. I’ve read a few snippets that WK is trying to develop a tallow cream with great skin food potentiially in an airless pump. If that happens I’d probably give that a shot when traveling as well.

When rushed I usually need a shower as well. My approach is to jump in the shower and the first step is to face later with a cream from a tube (or shave stick). Then wash and rinse body. Then do a one pass shave with a mild shaver like a Gillette New or Feather Popular. When rinsing my face if I feel a badly missed spot then do a touch up. Then rinse the shave brush and finish the shower by washing hair. Can get in and out in five minutes when in a big hurry. Under those conditions I am only looking for something presentable and no blood.

I take the Feather Popular when I travel. I have started to also bring a shavette for when I have more time.

If I am in a rush, I shave in the shower and use hair conditioner instead of shaving soap or cream....Pretty much the same for traveling so I don't need to carry anymore products or gear than necessary.

When travelling it depends on how many days. One or two days, typically a can of goo I have from before my wetshaving days. I, absolutely hate to admit it, but I stole one of my wife's carts for these one day trips. If it's multiple days or a week, typically I bring a DE and a synth brush, and a stick of Arko or a cream.

If I'm worried about a rush. I'll shave the night before. It's an adequate shave the next day appearance-wish but not as smooth as I typically like.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
When I travel I use a shave stick and face lather with a plisson synth. I take a DE when I check luggage. A Guard on the shorter trips where I carry on. Sometimes i leave the blades home and take a DE and buy blades locally. I use PAA star jelly aftershave. Or a small sample of whatever.

I thought I had forgotten to pack my brush, so just used my hand to face lather. It wasn't bad. But of course found the brush when I was putting stuff away

Traveling I'll usually bring a cartridge razor or disposable, Speick cream in small tube, inexpensive synthetic brush like Razorock Bruce, small tube of balm, small plastic bottle of jojoba oil.

Shaving in a hurry, face lather with cream or soap stick, two pass shave with German 37 slant.

When rushed, I omit one/two passes with my DE.

My Dopp kit includes a shave stick, my Wee Scot and a small plastic bottle of AS. If traveling by car or if I will stay in one location, then I take a DE in a leather case. If traveling by air I may mail a few blades to the hotel if I will be staying in one place. If I am moving from place to place by air, then I resort to a cart.

Bottom line for me is that I do my best to enjoy my AM shave!! :a14: :a14:

If I am in a rush, I shave in the shower and use hair conditioner instead of shaving soap or cream....Pretty much the same for traveling so I don't need to carry anymore products or gear than necessary.
I have used hair conditioner when I have forgotten shaving soap and experimented a bit with it in daily use. I didn't like it at all but it does work quite well.

It's never a problem with checked baggage.

Anyway: for me it's Proraso Canned Foam and Parker TTO 96R (or Harry's cartridge razor). Nivea Men cream after shave. It takes two minutes to shave like that.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I got my first shave sticks (mystic water) and found that this is a great time saver when im rushed or pressed for time.

Top Bottom