What's new

Shaving the Christmas Holiday Beard

Gents,

Having had a few days off at Christmas and a few more planned for New Year, my daily shaving routine has been put on hold in favour of a "beard" if I dare call it that..

I'm 7 days in.. With another 6 to go... But I'm already making grand plans for the Sunday when it all has to come off for work on Monday.

I have purchased my first open comb - a Merkur 15c which I understand should be able to attack two weeks growth without any prior trimming.

I would say I have medium growth and now that it has grown out a bit, my hair is fairly soft so I'm thinking equipped with a new feather blade... I should be OK.

Anyone else in the same boat? Tips and tricks for mowing down the beard with a DE razor only?

No beard trimmers allowed!

Seasons Greetings!

Niko

I'm in! Haha. I always let my beard grow when I take a vacation. I'm 9 days in with 4 days until I ha e to be back at work. I recently bought a shavette that I'm planning on using. If that doesn't work out, ill bring out my Parker 24C open comb. I hope those might work out. And I hope to get some pointers for mowing down a beard from the guys here.

Straight razor/shavette... those will pretty much mow through any length/level of growth you have going. lol

I have a 15c, it's a great OC razor, extremely mild in it's design. It may take a good amount of rinsing between strokes with as much growth as you are going to have. If I get to where it's really been a couple days and I don't want to grab a straight/shavette, I have a Cadet OC I use. Medium aggressive, plenty of blade gap to reduce clogging, super efficient design.

Go slow and take your time. use plenty of hot water and maintain your angle. Even though it's an open comb watch for signs of clogging.

It should be a snap.
Enjoy.

7 days in with 6 more to go and you're worried? That's not a beard, that's stubble. Take a blade to it and be done with it.

Some beards grow faster than others.

For sure... but the idea of what a "beard" is has a different meaning around here than what I'm use to. I don't care how fast a person's facial hair grows, I've never 2 weeks of growth that could be called a beard... but I guess in a world where guys walk around with these carved out stubble lines and call them beards I shouldn't be surprised.

For sure... but the idea of what a "beard" is has a different meaning around here than what I'm use to. I don't care how fast a person's facial hair grows, I've never 2 weeks of growth that could be called a beard... but I guess in a world where guys walk around with these carved out stubble lines and call them beards I shouldn't be surprised.

So this is me with 11 days growth. I call this a beard.
$image.jpg

I'm still wearing my beard. It's completely unfettered. Not sure which way to go with it though. I use a shavette or a DE most days, but now I've passed the itchy phase, I might keep it for a bit. If I do, how do I go about shaping it, and then correcting the inevitable mistakes?

I would imagine a beard trimmer to keep it looking neat?

I hacked mine off with my trusty Wilkinson Sword Classic paired with a Gillette Blue the other day. It was quite a messy affair but my razor has no problems tackling it.

I just received my Merkur Futur in the post which I am really enjoying using so am back to shaving daily for the time being!

For what it's worth, I had about 10 days growth and did nothing more than what I would typically do. I even had an old blade in my Maggard MR1. No issues.

Top Bottom