What's new

Shaving Sticks: As is or mashed into a bowl?

I recommend against milling shave sticks and prefer to use them in stick form. I'm in the camp that would buy soap cakes if that's the form you favor.

-- John Gehman

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like to use them as they are intended. I do like the sticks for travel but I also reach for them just . . .whenever the mood strikes.

I would never violate a shave stick by milling or grating it. They're too much fun to use as intended.

I could never do that to my Irisch Moos.

Yikes. I've got Arko, Irisch Moos, and Tabac shave sticks milled into bowls.
Thankfully not all the same bowl ;).

I really like them better in the bowl than the sticks. Don't quite see the point to rubbing in the stubble. And the only reason I milled the Tabac was because I got it in a trade.

For me it depends on the stick. I use Arko both ways, but I like Arko better as a stick these days. Speick in stick form rubs my skin like a pencil eraser, but is great milled. Irisch Moos is just too pretty to smash...

I guess for me it would depend on the soap stick itself.

TABAC and IRISCH MOOS would be a real shame to multilate as they come packaged so nicely.

ARKO and ERASMIC on the other hand I have no problem with milling or grating. The Arko is really soft and just makes a mess in your hand when trying to use as a stick. Erasmic is only covered in paper so any water on it instantly turns the paper to mush and is messy.

I did grate my Palmolive into an Old Spice Mug and to be honest it's a bit of a mess. It's dried out and cracked and just looks unsightly. It seems OK to use I guess I just prefer to use it as is.

Soap sticks that are foil covered are ok with me. Speick and Palmolive are both great products.

I'm looking forward to trying out some LA TOJA and DE VERGULDEN HAND in the next week or so.

While it is an interesting discussion on how to use a shaving stick no one here has stood up and asked what the manufacturers recommendations on useage are is there anything on say the palmolive website? they are a big company you would think they want there customers to enjoy their products.
just my 2p worth.

I find shave sticks are uncomfortable for me to use, rubbing against my face. The Palmolive ones are available to me cheaply and I've found they work very well converted into a puck. Less than a pound for two sticks to give a good sized puck, it's very good value. I can see how they are convenient for those guys who get good results from them however.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Love the sticks. Take less room than a soap.

I had my graduation ceremony this morning and used my Irisch Moos. First (and only) shaving stick I've purchased, and it was great! I'm considering getting a few more, since I love the simplicity of a stick.

I tried Palmolive first as a stick, then milled it into a mug, went back to using a stick when I was away for a weekend. Never went back to the bowl and only use it in stick form now! I'd forgotten how easy it is to face lather with a stick...if you've got a couple of day's growth you automatically use extra soap. New and vintage Erasmic just stayed as sticks.

I find shave sticks are uncomfortable for me to use, rubbing against my face. The Palmolive ones are available to me cheaply and I've found they work very well converted into a puck. Less than a pound for two sticks to give a good sized puck, it's very good value. I can see how they are convenient for those guys who get good results from them however.

I'm with grouse on this, I prefer to grate the Euro Palmolive stick into a bowl.
It makes marvelous lather this way (especially when it's the Semogue LE 2009 doing the work).

Those of you finding shave sticks uncomfortable - I wonder if you're keeping the business end of the stick wet enough. It sure does drag if it dries out, but if your soap is worth its salt, it ought to slip like greased owl snot when wet.

Those of you finding shave sticks uncomfortable - I wonder if you're keeping the business end of the stick wet enough. It sure does drag if it dries out, but if your soap is worth its salt, it ought to slip like greased owl snot when wet.

+1 to this. Palmolive (in particular) can stand a lot of water without the end getting too "mushy" and it still dries perfectly for storage :thumbup1:

Greetings, Lads!

I know shaving sticks are a popular item here and I am interested in indulging but was wondering what the general consensus is in terms of leaving them in stick form vs mashing them up into a bowl for brush loading.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Greg

I use them as a stick, but put the last piece in a scuttle. Like this I can completely use the soap.

I love shave sticks and find them super convenient. I have bowl soaps that I rarely use as the sticks are quicker and easier.

Top Bottom