What's new

shaving soaps & aftershaves for oily skin

The Lucky Tiger seems interesting. I've put it on my wishlist. Still have to figure out a way to get over the fact that my stirling dunkirk, with it's awesome scent, will probably be pushed aside.

If the clubman lotion dissapoints i'll give the Tiger a try. Thanks!

Tried putting on the stirling balm first then the splash. Seems to work better for me.

Got the clubman after my shave so haven't tried it yet. But rubbed some of it on my arm and the scent isnt really my cup of tea.

The search continues...

Just tried the Lucky Tiger. Feels pretty good. No burn, obviously cause it lacks alcohol. The scent reminds me of one of the worst cough syrops I had to swallow when i was little, but it's not long lasting at all.

Though it feels alright, Proraso's White balm seems to make my skin feel better nourrished.

Thanks for the advice!

Just tried the Lucky Tiger. Feels pretty good. No burn, obviously cause it lacks alcohol. The scent reminds me of one of the worst cough syrops I had to swallow when i was little, but it's not long lasting at all.

Though it feels alright, Proraso's White balm seems to make my skin feel better nourrished...
Maybe try rinsing with cold water for about half a minute first. Then, use the Lucky Tiger, but you won't need to apply a whole lot to get the beneficial effects. Maybe give it a few days and see if it agrees with your skin.

Yeah I don't think skin products can accurately be assessed after just a couple uses, personally. A lot of products have benefits that become apparent with consistent use.

That said... Sounds like you're just like me as far as skin type. I also get a layer of some kind of oil a few hours after shaving. Or used to before I stopped using aftershaves with glycerin. Tallow soap vs non tallow never made a difference. Besides there's no tallow left over after saponification.

Try La Toja soap and Speick aftershave. This combination was magical for me.

Last edited:
Just stop using balm. Use a nice splash or tonic. Lucky Tiger, Speick, Proraso etc. They're inexpensive, smell nice and work well to disinfect, clean, lightly moisturise and soothe the skin. I follow up my splash or tonic with light face moisturiser to lock everything in. Balm has always felt greasy and oily to me.

I second this suggestion. MdC and DRH are basically my go-to soaps to avoid excess moisture. Another suggestion is skip the aftershave/balm thing entirely and just use the alum block (rub it all over your face with a bit of water, let it dry, then rinse it off and dry). It does wonders for helping to keep my skin dry.

Sadly, most any type of moisturizing product (artisan soap, AS with glycerin, etc.) leaves my face feeling tacky by the end of the day and if the problem gets too extreme, starts clogging my pores.

Every man Jack has a mattifying oily skin lotion that stops the shine. Great if you need to wash up mid day or just before going out for the evening.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clinique also makes this product. I use it to take the shine down on the scalp.

ARKO will absorbs oils so much. A friend who have oily skin.
+1 for this, for me arko dryes skin. Sadly about 1 year ago (winter time) i did throw arko in litter bin cause it did dry my already dry skin too much. Now, in summer times my skin is much more oily, so i feel its better use drying soaps. At the moment my most drying ones are rainbow canned geel and proarso green.

Top Bottom