What's new

shaving soaps & aftershaves for oily skin

Hi Gents.
I have a certain rotation in soaps and aftershave and never had any problems with them but lately I noticed I'm easily getting oily skin after I use some products such as stirling soap and proraso balm, both have excellent performance but leave me with an oily skin so all recommendations are mostly welcome.

I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestion, but basically if you reversed your products - ie. if you used Proraso soap and Stirling splash, your skin would be less oily.

Hi Gents.
I have a certain rotation in soaps and aftershave and never had any problems with them but lately I noticed I'm easily getting oily skin after I use some products such as stirling soap and proraso balm, both have excellent performance but leave me with an oily skin so all recommendations are mostly welcome.

what seems oily, might just be glycerin, which is an emollient, eg good stuff. if you feel it's too oily, you can swipe an alum block over your face, use some alcoholic aftershave or cologne, or even just wipe your face with a cool, damp washcloth. or even some hand sanitizer. whatever seems to work for you.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Generally a hard soap - commercial, not artisan and and just normal witch hazel (the stuff with 14% alcohol), or an AS with alcohol and very low in glycerin, or any other oils.

If you read the soap threads on here, generally avoid the soaps that are talked about for face feel. That is generally short hand for "leaves me feeling like I moisturized my face". The only soap that I get any sort of face feel from that works for my oily skin is LaToja's stick. If I could do a poll on artisan soap afficianados and skin type, I think it would be 80 percent or better that have normal to dry skin that enjoy the face feel some of those soaps provide and can make use of all those oils.

I too have oily skin and in the summer, I don't want any extra butters, oils, skin food, etc. In the dead of winter when it's zero F outside, then some of those things are ok.

I've been going without anything after most shaves because I'm trying to see exactly what a particular soap does to my face. I'm almost tempted to go on a steady diet of canned goo as there are numerous threads here of folks that state they switched to lathering soap because the canned goo dried out their face. I say... bring it on.

...If you read the soap threads on here, generally avoid the soaps that are talked about for face feel. That is generally short hand for "leaves me feeling like I moisturized my face". The only soap that I get any sort of face feel from that works for my oily skin is LaToja's stick. If I could do a poll on artisan soap afficianados and skin type, I think it would be 80 percent or better that have normal to dry skin that enjoy the face feel some of those soaps provide and can make use of all those oils....

BOOM. ^^^ Pay attention Chandu! Read the ingredients list, avoid soaps with lots of oils, butters, milks, etc...

For the other 20% a soap should shave well and leave your face clean. Fortunately there's makers that take pride in that. We make moisturising naturally the soap doesn't need to add any. A side benefit is wrinkles, what wrinkles?! Absolutely ticks off SWMBO!

Last edited:
Generally a hard soap - commercial, not artisan and and just normal witch hazel (the stuff with 14% alcohol), or an AS with alcohol and very low in glycerin, or any other oils.

If you read the soap threads on here, generally avoid the soaps that are talked about for face feel. That is generally short hand for "leaves me feeling like I moisturized my face". The only soap that I get any sort of face feel from that works for my oily skin is LaToja's stick. If I could do a poll on artisan soap afficianados and skin type, I think it would be 80 percent or better that have normal to dry skin that enjoy the face feel some of those soaps provide and can make use of all those oils.

I too have oily skin and in the summer, I don't want any extra butters, oils, skin food, etc. In the dead of winter when it's zero F outside, then some of those things are ok.

I've been going without anything after most shaves because I'm trying to see exactly what a particular soap does to my face. I'm almost tempted to go on a steady diet of canned goo as there are numerous threads here of folks that state they switched to lathering soap because the canned goo dried out their face. I say... bring it on.
This is a great post. Thanks for that.

@Chandu nailed it.

With oily skin, you don't need a lot of extra conditioning agents added to your soaps or balms this time of year. It is overkill for you. If you rinse with lots of cold water for half a minute after your shaves, it will avoid the need for heavy balms in hotter weather.

A good, basic shaving soap that rinses clean followed by a mild alcohol splash, should be about right. For example Fine Italian Citrus soap + Speick splash. Or Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme + plain witch hazel.

I recently got rid of almost all of my artisan soaps that are 'superfatted'. I have oily skin too, and I noticed that they left me feeling greasy, and were hard to completely wash off. I stick with alcohol based splashes too. Balms just stay on top of my skin and make me shiny.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I recently got rid of almost all of my artisan soaps that are 'superfatted'. I have oily skin too, and I noticed that they left me feeling greasy, and were hard to completely wash off. I stick with alcohol based splashes too. Balms just stay on top of my skin and make me shiny.

I have a few Artisan soaps to use up. I'll save them primarily for winter where my skin is a bit drier to to our extreme cold and a house heated with forced air and no humidifier. If I use them in the summer, its here and there and not several days in a row. One of the last "artisan soaps" I bought and would buy again is nothing of the super fatted types. It's basically MdC made in USA it was called Sampson's Natural Soap. Hot process and cured for some months. They quit making it. Good stuff if you can find it

My face is such that if I get up at 6am and shower and shave. By probably 1pm I'm shiny and could use a wash with soap to de-oil. Then before bed I wash my face and head as it's oily again.

Since working from home nearly all the time now, I sometimes take a brush and lather up with that and then use a wash cloth to wash my face. Or I just use a little bit of Dr. Bronner's Castile soap.

I'm not having any problems like that and I have oily skin. Maybe that's because I live in the desert southwest. We had a monsoon storm today and our humidity got up to 25%.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm not having any problems like that and I have oily skin. Maybe that's because I live in the desert southwest. We had a monsoon storm today and our humidity got up to 25%.
Where I live, in the summer our dewpoint gets "low" like 60, but is usually 65 to 72. Dewpoint in the 50's or lower is comfortable to me.

Every man Jack has a mattifying oily skin lotion that stops the shine. Great if you need to wash up mid day or just before going out for the evening.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stirling unfortunately makes my face feel oily too. I find using anything without tallow seems to fix that problem which is a bummer because they do seem to be extra protective and slick maybe just cutting back to once a week or something might work. Plenty of non tallow soaps, but I like soap commander and southern witchcrafts so far and plan to sample Martin de candre and dr. jon soon too.

Stirling unfortunately makes my face feel oily too. I find using anything without tallow seems to fix that problem which is a bummer because they do seem to be extra protective and slick maybe just cutting back to once a week or something might work. Plenty of non tallow soaps, but I like soap commander and southern witchcrafts so far and plan to sample Martin de candre and dr. jon soon too.

I've been starting to pay attention to results on my oily skin. Today was pretty good. I used Southern Witchcrafts soap, an alcohol splash, and this stuff for moisturizer.

Maybe it's not coincidence that I used Southern Witchcrafts and didn't have an oily day... I'll keep an eye on that. It was also the first day that I used that moisturizer, so that could have helped, too.

I would suggest something soapy like Arko (stick or puck), colonel conk, Proraso tub, Williams or something else of the like, that will eat up facial oil. For aftershave Kiehl's Blue Astringent, it works as a good aftershave and it's formulated for oily skin.

I stumbled on this thread while googling why Sterling soap/balm makes my face feel like it's been treated with Vaseline.

Stirling unfortunately makes my face feel oily too. I find using anything without tallow seems to fix that problem

I was also thinking it's the tallow but I get the same feel after using the aftershave balm from Stirling, the ingredients do not list tallow in the balm so I'm not 100 percent convinced. I don't get this greasy feel after using Proraso White balm. Maybe it's the glycerine?

Finishing up with just Splash is not an option for my skin, cause thats just too dry.

Even through i like the rather neutral smells of proraso White (also have a green balm incoming) they Arent that special/festive like my stirling dunkirk.

I've decided to give aftershave lotion a try, have clubman pinaud en route. I'm hoping it'll be like middle of the Road between balm and Splash - hopefully without feeling like a fryingpan.

/edit sorry, see this is a post from 2020. Wondeeing what OP 's solution was and any thoughts or useful input would be very welcome.
I know i can just go ahead and try out everything but my bathroom cuoboard' s already filling up nicely and the wife is starting to complain (she's probably right).

Even through i like the rather neutral smells of proraso White (also have a green balm incoming) they Arent that special/festive like my stirling dunkirk.

I've decided to give aftershave lotion a try, have clubman pinaud en route. I'm hoping it'll be like middle of the Road between balm and Splash - hopefully without feeling like a fryingpan...
I know you have enough products already, but you might like Lucky TIger face tonic and/or Speick aftershave lotion. Lucky Tiger doesn't have alcohol and leaves a fairly clean finish. Speick has some alcohol and soothes your skin without any heavy feeling.

Top Bottom