What's new

Shaving on the move

I know there are a lot of threads on shaving while travelling but I couldn't find answers for all my questions

1) Does anyone bowl lather while travelling and if so what bowl/tye of bowl do they use. ( I just can;t get thick enough lather when I face lather)

2) What are shaving mugs - and could they be used... Are they just to store the soap, or for building lather in?

Thanks

DEUSER

I know there are a lot of threads on shaving while travelling but I couldn't find answers for all my questions

1) Does anyone bowl lather while travelling and if so what bowl/tye of bowl do they use. ( I just can;t get thick enough lather when I face lather)

2) What are shaving mugs - and could they be used... Are they just to store the soap, or for building lather in?

Thanks

DEUSER

Forget the bowl AND the face, and hand lather while you're travelling. You might find you like it better than bowl lathering. I started doing it while travelling and now I find myself hand lathering almost every day (some days I face lather). I haven't used the bowl since I got back.

Could you explain how you hand lather? I've watched manics video but is all the lather stored in the brush? Does that mean that you can wash the lather off your hand once you have built it??

Also could someone explain shaving mugs...

Originally, a shaving mug was used to build lather on top of the puck. I still do that with a soap like Williams. Most gents these days use a mug to load up the brush with soap and then either switch to a bowl to create lather or face lather. There are plastic mugs that wouldn't break while traveling, but wet soap storage would still be an issue.

I use only shaving soap when I travel and face lather with it. If I were to want to take a bowl along, then one of those Rubbermaid plastic bowls with the screw on top would be ideal. When done, put the lid on, wipe off the outside and drop it into the suitcase. You could even store the soap in it.

Proraso makes a soap I like that comes in a small plastic container, perfect for traveling and it's what I use most of the time. Some vendors also have travel soap containers that you can put your own soap into.

Forget the bowl AND the face, and hand lather while you're travelling. You might find you like it better than bowl lathering. I started doing it while travelling and now I find myself hand lathering almost every day (some days I face lather). I haven't used the bowl since I got back.
+1

When travelling, I leave the brush and soap at home. I also lower my standards, and I just shoot for maintaining a presentable appearance. A Close Comfortable Shave is fine, if it turns out to be DFS, that's even better. I don't expect to get a BBS at all.

My kit is minimal. I have some face wash, a synthetic chamois as a wash-cloth, an adjustable razor, a pack of Astra-SP blades, sample-size creams and ASBs. That's all I need. Anything else can be picked up at a drugstore if necessary.

Besides, when I let my shaving routine get a little rough around the edges when I'm on the road, it makes my first shave back home in my fully-outfitted shave den seem that much more luxurious.

Last edited:
face lather with a shave stick

Boots own brand is very good and comes in a holder for travel, so does La Toja and it's the best shave stick you can get (ebay)

if you want to splash some cash DRH sticks also come in a holder

just because im not at home doesnt mean I dont want a great shave. I bring a brush and facelather with a shave stick, or a cream tube. You needent take the world with you, but you also needent put up with a loushy shave.

First off, I carry a Schick Injector razor when I travel because the injector blade holder is also a blade bank and therefore takes up less space. Also the razor gives a DFS with one pass. It doesn't have the historicity of my 40s SS, but it's a good shave. I carry a compact Body Shop synthetic brush which dries quickly, and I lather by holding a small cake of travel sized soap in my hand and working up a good lather and transferring it to my face. Everything dries out pretty quickly and I still get a good morning ritual.

Top Bottom