What's new

Shaving Mustache Area ATG !! Scariest part of shaving - tips needed

Should I bother shaving AGT under the nose? isn't WTG and XTG enough?
I hate to see that faint black shadow under my nose after the shave is over and only an ATG pass can take care of that (i think..)
But whenever I try to shave under the nose ATG I get scared a bit (even hands shaking a bit lol..)

Cheers?

I always shave atg on my nose, some razors are much more proficient at it than others. My lupo 0.95 does a good job, other than that I prefer single edge razors for the task. Injectors are especially nice imo.

Hi Invicta!

I DO shave XTG and reversed (and WTG obviosly)
I forgot to mention that I use either R41 or ATT open comb slant which makes going ATG even more frightening..
Thank you!

I always shave atg on my nose, some razors are much more proficient at it than others. My lupo 0.95 does a good job, other than that I prefer single edge razors for the task. Injectors are especially nice imo.

thanks
As a newcomer to DE shaving (since 2020) I don't know what injectors are, but I'll look it up

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Try a slightly wetter lather. Also, instead of moving the razor, try holding it perfectly still, with both hands if necessary. Now, shave your top lip by moving your head with very slight nodding movements as this may give you better control. I prefer to use a series of small overlapping strokes, known as blade buffing in this area, the blade does not leave my skin between strokes. If you are scared of your razor then use a different one as shaving should be relaxing. Using an aggressive razor is not an indication of either skilled or advanced shaving, in fact I think the opposite is true. Mild razors have been shaving the toughest whiskers for more than the last hundred years. Remember, the razor cannot cut you, the blade cannot cut you, only you can cut you. Good luck 👍

Eben Stone

Staff member
IMO the R41 is good for mustache ATG. Which blade? It could be coincidence, but it seems like some combinations of razor + blade work well for ATG and some don't.

Make a face so you pull that upper lip down over your teeth as much as possible to stretch the skin.

Try relathering immediately before shaving the mustahce area. A thick layer of wet lather seems to help.

Use short micro buffing strokes.

Don't go exactly ATG. Go somewhere between XTG and ATG for a few shaves. Adjust the direction slightly more ATG each shave. After a few shaves you won't even have to think about it.

Expect a lot of little weepers the first try.

I do it because of the way my hair grows in that area. To make matters worse I have a mole in the upper area of my mustache line that will bleed for hours if I nick it. Since I initially went from carts to straights, going atg under the nose was a really dodgy proposition. Not so much with a DE as an ill timed muscle spasm will not sever my nose as before and I found it not too difficult to establish the muscle memory required to get that area as close as can be.

ATG is the only way if you want a very close shave. You could try XTG and XTG reversed but it will still leave a hint of stubble.
I normally use XTG both directions, because I can do that repeatably without harm, but it's not as close as ATG.

ATG goes OK about 4 times out of 5...

Try a slightly wetter lather. Also, instead of moving the razor, try holding it perfectly still, with both hands if necessary. Now, shave your top lip by moving your head with very slight nodding movements as this may give you better control. I prefer to use a series of small overlapping strokes, known as blade buffing in this area, the blade does not leave my skin between strokes. If you are scared of your razor then use a different one as

. Using an aggressive razor is not an indication of either skilled or advanced shaving, in fact I think the opposite is true. Mild razors have been shaving the toughest whiskers for more than the last hundred years. Remember, the razor cannot cut you, the blade cannot cut you, only you can cut you. Good luck 👍

thanks
EclipseRedRing

Great advice!! I'll try that nodding thing in my next shave.
oh and btw I'm not scared of my razor lol..I did try 6 different recommended razors before. and found that the two i've mentioned give me the best shave and yes I agree that shaving should be relaxing and I am relaxed (apart from AGT my mustache)

There's several things you can do, like stretching the skin, using a thin, slick lather and keeping the blade angle more shallow.

Another idea is to use a different, mild razor for going ATG in the "muzzle" area. Something like the Gillette Tech or Razorock SLOC with a Feather blade. The SLOC is one of the best "buffing" razors I have found. It's actually pretty difficult to cut yourself with one.

No rules and no reason to rush an upper lip ATG.
To quote the movie The Patriot: “Aim small, miss small.” Look at the ATG upper lip pass as 5 small ATG passes (left/right lip to middle of lip to nose distance, left/right middle to nostril, and philtrum). Then if you have challenges you can narrow down where.

Try a slightly wetter lather. Also, instead of moving the razor, try holding it perfectly still, with both hands if necessary. Now, shave your top lip by moving your head with very slight nodding movements as this may give you better control. I prefer to use a series of small overlapping strokes, known as blade buffing in this area, the blade does not leave my skin between strokes. If you are scared of your razor then use a different one as shaving should be relaxing. Using an aggressive razor is not an indication of either skilled or advanced shaving, in fact I think the opposite is true. Mild razors have been shaving the toughest whiskers for more than the last hundred years. Remember, the razor cannot cut you, the blade cannot cut you, only you can cut you. Good luck 👍

Great advice, Sir!

1) WTG
2) Go from the end of your lips towards your nose.
3) In 3rd pass, repeat 2. Buff where needed.

Don't go ATG. And try to keep the skin stretched to be flat as possible. For example hold air in your mouth.

Update!

Problem solved thanks to @EclipseRedRing advice.
Today I shaved under the nose ATG and tried the nodding technique (razor is perfectly still and only the head is moving in a nodding motion)
The result was beautiful-my stache area was never this clean and smooth!

Thank you all for being so nice and helpful

Cheers!

I’m going to “go against the grain here” (sorry) and say that frankly, you don’t have to bother.

Experiment away, get it all figured out if you feel the need, but don’t fret if you can’t quite get there. Only saying that because my skin can’t handle an ATG pass. It’s fine.

*edit*
haha saw your update. Nice man!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Grow a full mo. I have a pencil moustache that can be a bit tricky as the shave area is tight. I take a lot of care atg.

Top Bottom