What's new

Shaving method

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can easily reduce my beard to a bbs level with a 3 pass shave. I go north to south, south to north, then ATG along my jawbone. Throw in some buffing under the chin and my skin is like glass for about 2.5 hours until it starts to grow back.

Where to begin?

If you get nice shaves from a cartridge you’ll have to be careful not to peel off your skin using a DE as your muscle memory is used to a very different kind of shaving.

No pressure, slick lather, watch for the angle. Take your time and be patient. It’s a learning curve.

There is no way a DE razor can get results like a cartridge razor, no matter what your technique. There is no point even trying. The DE doesn’t have enough blades to shave “closer still”.

And of course cartridge razors cannot possibly beat an electric razor. That’s just a fact, as Victor Kiam revealed to us many years ago. In fact you will like the electric razor so much you will buy the company. It’s that good.

Glad we sorted that out. Thanks for starting this important and instructive thread.

Where to begin?

If you get nice shaves from a cartridge you’ll have to be careful not to peel off your skin using a DE as your muscle memory is used to a very different kind of shaving.

No pressure, slick lather, watch for the angle. Take your time and be patient. It’s a learning curve.
But how long the learning curve?

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi Larry,

Welcome on board! It will take some getting used to, but Baby Butt Smooth is not a myth!

Before you get deep into all the different kinds of gear keep in mind a few basics:

1. The absolute most important part of a shave is before shaving actually happens! Wet your beard, shave immediately after showering, or keep your face wet for as long as possible. The difference between splashing some water and keeping your face wet for 3-4 minutes is night and day. Fully hydrated hairs will make a bigger difference than any variations in gear.

2. most razors will have a sweet spot in terms of angle and pressure. But if you like more blade forward options, try to keep a moderately steep angle while shaving with the grain and as shallow as your razor will allow when going against.

Forever. You’re always learning and getting better at it.

The minimal to have a comfortable shave?

I wouldn’t be able to pin down a number, but with some good researching, practice and trial and error I’d say it’s not that long.

It’s not rocket science, just do it and you’ll get better each day.
Forever? Thats ridiculous...!!!

No, that’s life. The day you stop learning is the day you die.

It’s not about the destination, it’s about the ride.

You may think you know it all, that you’ve perfected every aspect of it, but all it takes is a different razor, a different soap, cream or any shaving variable to put you back in a learning position again.

It’s a beautiful thing isn’t it?

No, that’s life. The day you stop learning is the day you die.

It’s not about the destination, it’s about the ride.

You may think you know it all, that you’ve perfected every aspect of it, but all it takes is a different razor, a different soap, cream or any shaving variable to put you back in a learning position again.

It’s a beautiful thing isn’t it?
But why a different razor i would have to learn all over again then, this doesnt make any sense?

Some people should stick with carts. You asked essentially the same question in July. You sound like a cartridge person and should stick with them. You're either trolling or looking for an argument.
So with a muehle very aggressive razor i would have to learn all over again? But arent all safety razors practically the same thing?

But why a different razor i would have to learn all over again then, this doesnt make any sense?
Not all over again. It seems you’re not getting my point.

If you have nice cartridge shaves, maybe stick with that.

If you want to venture into DE/SE/Straights, do it for fun, not because you must master it in a 1 week limit deadline.

What shaving method can guarantee that by using a safety razor we can remove 100% of our facial hair like using a cartridge razor?
Depositphotos_256823120_s-2019.jpg

This one

Examine your cost/benefit.

If you want to shave without learning DE razor shaving techniques, don't use a DE razor. Use carts or an electric.

If you want to learn how to shave with a DE razor, then put in the effort and enjoy the process.

I much prefer DE shaving after using carts and electrics for 20+ years. It's easier on my skin also: No more razor burn and ingrown hairs. But it did take me a few months to learn how to do it well.

If you decide to invest the time to learn how to use a DE, you may well decide it's worth it.

(Footnote: My DE shaves are really, really good. Better than I got with carts.)

It took me a few months to get comfortable, and confident enough to get excellent results without irritating or cutting my skin.

The biggest hurdle coming from carts is learning not to press too hard. My first couple of shaves I was lucky enough to only have a few minor spots of blood, but my face felt like it was on fire. I learned very quickly to use a light touch.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
But how long the learning curve?
I'm fairly certain that everyone is different. But it's not golf, you can actually learn to do it well virtually every time. Some get a BBS the first week, but daily irritation free BBS shaves will take some practice.

The two things most beginners get wrong is pressure and angle. Less pressure (and I promise that when you think your pressure is light enough it isn't) is pretty easy and immediately available. Correct razor/blade angle takes some practice. It would be fairly easy if your face was flat as a board, but it ain't. If you experiment a bit and keep your brain engaged you can get pretty good fairly quickly. But you will get more consistent as the months go by - which would probably be true of most things.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm one of those continually learning guys as well. I did have some luck in the beginning since I started with a "mild but efficient" Executive Shaving Company AC Single Edge razor, i.e., the Claymore Evolution. It wasn't very complicated to learn. On my very first shave, I got a better shave than I did with my Gillette Fusion Power or any of the other Gillette cartridge razors I'd been using since I was 19 or so. That surprised me, truth be told. I believed the myth: Gillette: The Best a Man Can Get.

And it only got better as I learned the razor and my face. I got better at the pre-shave prep work as well. There was a lot to learn but it sure has been fun. I shaved with my Claymore Evo exclusively for just over 5 months.

I just started learning how to use a DE razor. There are similarities of course, so I'm not starting out at zero. That said, it sure feels like zero. <eg> evil grin ;)

59yr old started this DE about 2 yrs ago

unless you want to grow a beard its something you HAVE to do so might as well make it the best experience and something you like to do is my view :)

to answer how long ? I watched some 🤢 vids :scared: yeah nothing like watching some old dude shave hahaha but they helped get an idea

got a razor and some blades gave it a month
I was good first day and got better 5 days in sometimes learned better technique less weight more control etc.
its shaving pretty easy IMHO and yeah I keep learning but never had issues

a few days in I had a good hang of it and just get more efficient at movement etc.
never really had issues with nicks or anything got a few and a few weepers figuring out the razors I like and blades

the thing that is taking the longest is finding my fav blades and soaps and razors but I am loving this and chasing the perfection as much as I can NOW do I need to NO do I want to YES

just like anything you do daily you learn more each time or you get to that point its easy ! try to remember back to learning to tie your shoes :) is it hard now ? was then I bet :)

I do think folks should try a few razors and a few blades a few soaps as this is all individual if you find one that is comfy and you are happy cool :) to me its just fun to find that perfection I am going for
do you have to start over with a new razor ? NO if you get in a pickup and a sports car do you have to learn to drive all over ? NOPE you just adjust a touch is all :) best analogy I can give

if you just want to shave and slap some goo on the face and throw a razor across to rush out the door stick to cart for now I would say
but IMHO and reckon all here a cart is no where near as close and comfy once you get the hang of DE I mean its not even close but yes it might take a bit of a learning curve but something you do daily or close to that for the rest of your life you just have to decide is it worth it ?
this is like any skill and refinement of life taking it from something you had to do in school to adult hood and learning to do it correctly like cooking or maintaining your home or cleaning your home might as well do it the best you can !

most of us shaving is enjoying the journey and process not about the end destination so much but that destination is superior :)

I am a photographer for a living
its not the gear its the experience and having been in many situations knowing what to do that makes me good at what I do and I strive every day to be better and learn more and grow this is DE shaving

if I was working just to make a buck at a job I hated I might not care to get better but just get it behind me ? this is cart shaving

I would hate my life to be meaningless and not care :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom