What's new

shaving disabled

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My disability is different to yours, but is still neurological. Mine is predominantly vision, balance, and migraine oriented, but occasionally that can leave me one handed, as one hand is busy keeping me upright.

On those days, creams and shave sticks are what I reach for. Shave stick applied direct to the face, then lathered with a damp brush is certainly achieveable one handed. The same can be done with a cream, or it can be squirted on the brush if a tube cream, or dipped if in a jar. I even found that I can do a little skin stretching with the ring finger in some areas if needed, and still control the razor well enough with thumb, index and middle fingers. You've probably developed your own technique toolbox.

While this might sound patronising, don't worry too much about all the hard soap products that are awkward to use, as there is a myriad of shave sticks and creams available to give fantastic shaves, with enough choice and diversity to ensure continued interest. And of course, as previously mentioned, loose pucks can be used as shave sticks too. It took me a long time to realise I should focus on what I still can do, and not dwell on what I can't. In truth, I'm probably still not there yet.

If you're still determined to try the tub soaps, soaking then so they expand, soften, and "grip" the tub might help. Even tipping out the soap, putting a few mm of water in the bottom, and putting the soap back in. That should soften the underside, if you don't want to soften the whole soap. After a day or so, an a bit of firm pressure, it might "glue" itself into position. No guarantees though. Also, self adhesive velcro on counter, or on some form of placemat, and underneath the tub, could be an idea to help stop tubs skating around, if seating the tub on a towel isn't stable enough.

Hopefully some of this will be useful. Best wishes for a continue recovery :thumbsup:

Sir I am sorry to hear about your situation. I recommend shave sticks. You only need one hand to apply the soap to your face, one hand to face lather with, and one hand to shave with. Tabac, Speick, and La Toja are all high quality and easy to obtain inexpensive products that will likely serve you well and make your life a whole lot easier, at least while you’re shaving. 🌹

Top Bottom