What's new

Shaving brushes and humid environments...

I moved to a humid environment, and my badger brushes would all start shedding horribly very quickly, I guess due to the humidity as I never had that problem before. So I ended up replacing them often or I did get a boar brush to last a little longer.

Would a synthetic or boar brush last longer in a humid environment or would it be about the same because both have the knot getting humid and ruined?

(Sorry this is a probably an often repeated question but searching I was only seeing questions about the blades rusting or how to store the brush vs comparing them.)

Where are you keeping the brushes, in a humidor?
I was living in Thailand, it was extremely humid. Now I'm in Puerto Rico, it's a little better, but I assume it's still got most of the humidity issues. I guess I could move it to somewhere near the air conditioning running, but I already use a cheap badger brush, so now I'll just look for a cheap synthetic brush then :)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Most people don't know about these machines called de-humidifiers. I suggest you get one, they are designed to pull moisture out of the air, and collect it inside a container that you have to empty each day. They also run a fan and filter the air through that, so you also get somewhat of air filtration as well which is nice. Big home house models that integrate into the home, would auto drain outside the home. But the small portable ones, you have to keep checking the container inside.

But its either that, or lose all your expensive brushes. Badger brushes arn't cheap, we all know this. So, I hope that you can get a de-humidifier.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I was living in Thailand, it was extremely humid. Now I'm in Puerto Rico, it's a little better, but I assume it's still got most of the humidity issues. I guess I could move it to somewhere near the air conditioning running, but I already use a cheap badger brush, so now I'll just look for a cheap synthetic brush then :)
I asked a similar question about taking my shaving brushes to the Philippines and received an answer in the thread from a gentleman who lives in Manila.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I think I remember seeing a similar question on another thread and a member from the Philippines @rbscebu suggested a box that removes the humidity that he uses to store straight razors, I can't find the thread at the moment but perhaps he could chime in with the answer

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I moved to a humid environment, and my badger brushes would all start shedding horribly very quickly, I guess due to the humidity as I never had that problem before. So I ended up replacing them often or I did get a boar brush to last a little longer.

Would a synthetic or boar brush last longer in a humid environment or would it be about the same because both have the knot getting humid and ruined?

(Sorry this is a probably an often repeated question but searching I was only seeing questions about the blades rusting or how to store the brush vs comparing them.)
I only use one brush,a Badger, I rinse it after use and stand it on its butt. I doubt if it ever dries completely but I’ve never had a problem with shedding

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I only use one brush,a Badger, I rinse it after use and stand it on its butt. I doubt if it ever dries completely but I’ve never had a problem with shedding
Good point but I suspect there is a difference between lathering a brush which is then damp until being relathered the following day, and lathering a brush which remains damp for a few days until being relathered. I imagine the second case would be more likely to lead to mildew or similar in the knot, especially in a warm climate, since the brush is not being lathered daily with soap which is effectively cleaning it. This is complete conjecture on my part and I am probably totally wrong. 😂

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think I remember seeing a similar question on another thread and a member from the Philippines @rbscebu suggested a box that removes the humidity that he uses to store straight razors, I can't find the thread at the moment but perhaps he could chime in with the answer
In the Philippines I used a photographic dry cabinet.

IMG_20210313_092735.jpg
The inside of the cabinet was kept electricity at 35% RH. Cost was about USD 80 but I expect that it would cost over USD 100 by now. Should be available on line from any good camera vendor.

Not good for natural ivory or horn scales.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I remember years ago about drying out shave brushes on a B&B thread and maybe there is some information that might help you.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
People in very humid countries often buy dehumidifying boxes of some sort.... because using a big dehumidifier for whole rooms can get expensive. I've seen them used for photography equipment in particular.. because humidity can really destroy lenses. They can get mold, mildew, fungus inside them. https://www.amazon.com/Ruggard-Electronic-Dry-Cabinet-30L/dp/B077T2HTCD/?th=1

At that link, there are a few sizes available.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
In the Philippines I used a photographic dry cabinet.
The inside of the cabinet was kept electricity at 35% RH. Cost was about USD 80 but I expect that it would cost over USD 100 by now. Should be available on line from any good camera vendor.

Not good for natural ivory or horn scales.
You beat me to it... I should have read the rest of the thread before I posted.... good job.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Good point but I suspect there is a difference between lathering a brush which is then damp until being relathered the following day, and lathering a brush which remains damp for a few days until being relathered. I imagine the second case would be more likely to lead to mildew or similar in the knot, especially in a warm climate, since the brush is not being lathered daily with soap which is effectively cleaning it. This is complete conjecture on my part and I am probably totally wrong. 😂
I live in South Carolina and it is pretty hot and humid here in the summer but like you, I really have no idea. The only shedding I’m really concerned with is my hair falling out 😂

Top Bottom