What's new

Shaving Attire?

I have a very nice shave coat in 1stGenRex's price range. It performs to perfection and only costs $4.99 including shipping from China. It is called a Gold Nugget Shave Coat, unfortunately I got banned from the other shaving site for bragging about it! Sure the belt loops are about four inches higher on the left than the right, and I had to finish sewing the bottom of the right pocket to keep my FS brush from falling out, and it has really cheap plastic buttons, but come on, it's only $4.99 with shipping. For only a few dollars more you can get Seraphim to fix it for you. He will have it dry cleaned and pressed, and no one can tell it from something straight from Ralph Lauren's catalogue.

Since I shave right after I shower I wear a towel. We have over sized towels (even though we are not) so it works very well. It comes in handy during and after the shave to dry my hands and when I am finished shaving, to take a few passes on to help dry my brush.

Regards,

Doug

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And yet, upon some further digging through newspaper archives, the most hits for the term "shave coat" come up during the 1960's. It's entirely possible that prior to then it was an item for the upper crust, and therefore not advertised widely in newspapers.

Here are two ads, one from 1961, the other from 1962. Note the buttons and belt, colorful trim and short sleeves. They are absorbent terry, while most of the ones I've seen for sale as vintage are cotton or silk (I don't think cheap shave coats got saved!)

The ad copy says the deep pockets are to hold "bath and shaving accessories". Wonder what the one guy is splashing on?

proxy.php

A 1978 article on robes for Christmas touts the trend towards longer robes, and the "mini" or shave coat length is seen as "in the background" and losing popularity to the long robe.

On the web sites where you found these ads, is there any indication of the manufacturer?
I just did a quick check around, and there simply is NOT a short sleeve robe available, except for the Japanese style.

The ads were from Google Newspaper archives. No mention of a manufacturer at all, and since they are from 1961 and 1962, I doubt that information would be of any help nowadays.

It is a strange bit of shaving trivia that seems to have almost completely dropped off the face of the earth. I guess that shave coats started out in the Victorian era as something that the very wealthy would indulge in. Silk, decorative, expensive and in the same league as smoking and poker jackets.

Then, for some reason they show up in all kinds of ads from about 1960 to the early 1970's, when they simply vanish. As I mentioned above, there's a comment in a paper that they are going out of style in favor of the long, flowing robe.

S

Sydney Guy

It strikes me that the term "shave coat" was used as a less effeminate terminology for "dressing gown" or "bathrobe" and so would be acceptable to male consumers. After all, other than the short sleeves how do these shave coats differ from modern terry towel bathrobes?

Also, up until the 1960s most hotel rooms and SRO boarding houses did not have ensuite bathrooms and you would have to walk down the corridor to the shared bathroom to wash, shower and shave. It wasn't acceptable to appear in your pyjamas so you needed to cover them with a robe. (Today people go shopping in their jammies!) That would also explain the pockets as they would be convenient to carry soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, brush etc to and from your room. Plus the sinks had limited room to put things down - no vanity cabinets in those days - so after you'd finished with the toothbrush you'd put it back in your pocket and bring out the next item..

Up until I got my scuttle last week I had to go shirtless for my shaves because I ended up holding the mug up against my chest while whipping the brush around as fast as I could and sometimes got lather and water on my chest. Don't ask why, that's just where I ended up. Now I continue with no shirt because that's what I'm used to. Bottom half varies, shorts, pants, towel, boxers, it doesn't really matter and kind of depends on the temperature.

I think Sydney Guy nailed it. It was probably practical in the era of shared bathrooms, and the short sleeves were to keep you from getting the sleeves wet while mucking around with the sink. The short overall length makes sense from a travel/packing angle.

After clipping my gut with a straight I decided underoos were the way to go.A shaving jacket would be a good idea when away from home.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok, I've discussed this in detail with SWMBO, she has looked at the Ads that Topgumby posted, and she's going to give it a shot.

Something in a flannel (I'll pick the pattern or lack thereof).

Will keep you posted.

It strikes me that the term "shave coat" was used as a less effeminate terminology for "dressing gown" or "bathrobe" and so would be acceptable to male consumers. After all, other than the short sleeves how do these shave coats differ from modern terry towel bathrobes?

Looks like these had ornate / oversized buttons as well.

Last edited:
I've missed this thread until now. I have to be topless when shaving, I will tend to get lather on any shirt or robe i would wear. Yes I am hopeless, and SWMBO is a very good woman for loving me :thumbup: (is she still looking over my shoulder?)

Everything I thought to say was already said, but let's weave something interesting together...

I shave IN the shower, which makes the shaving jacket awfully heavy, but one must keep up appearances, mustn't one?

Yes, we must! I tend to keep the lather off my fedora though.

doesn't that make the gin taste funny?

One word... Seagrams.

Most mornings I shave in my everyday work attire: jodhpurs and cavalry boots, a bandolier of 8mm Lebel ammunition slung across my bare chest, and a fez.
+1

I just wear my pyjama trousers.
+1 Me too.
If you guys aren't sick of me telling you this yet, I currently live in a college dorm. Sometimes when I shave a I wear a robe (especially now that it's getting colder) and I use the giant pockets to hold my aftershave and, if the soap I'm using comes in a screw-top container, the soap when I'm not using it. :thumbup1:

Nice! So we see a real use for them after all.

My fedora, of course!
+1

EDIT: Anyone for a B&B shave robe??? That would be cool!

+1

Nekkidness and straight razors don't go together. At all. Ever. :blink:

A DE, well that probably wouldn't sever too much, but I still prefer my towel wrap.
+1. I always wear something more than a towel around myself.

good thing I've got one in the Garage...just need to get the Flux Capacitor fixed :lol:
Yeah, but what's the cost benefit ratio there. And without a Mr. Fusion upgrade, isn't all that plutonium expensive? I just watched Episode 2 tonight.

I usually sleep in an old pair of shorts and t-shirt so that is what I shave in before I shower.
+1 I shave before showering as well.
I've missed this thread until now. I have to be topless when shaving, I will tend to get lather on any shirt or robe i would wear. Yes I am hopeless, and SWMBO is a very good woman for loving me :thumbup: (is she still looking over my shoulder?)

I always shave before showering because 1) The mirrors fog and the time that it takes to clear them counteracts the "hot soak" effect of the shower. 2) I like to wash off all the shave cream and stuff I use in the shower and soak my face a bit.

I shave sans shirt, but with pants. This thread is pretty cool, but I would never want a jacket. Anything above my belly button is getting wet and would be inconvenient. Fedora not included.

Top Bottom