What's new

Shaving Attire?

Towel wrapped around my waist usually does the trick.

I'm wondering whether these shave coats actually improve efficiency? Maybe they have special breast pockets to store extra packs of blades? Maybe they come with a built in strop? A nagging-wife deflecting shield? Anything?

Birthday suit shaver.:blushing:

Would hate for you to fumble your razor :lol:

For me it's usually after a shower so i've got the towel around the waist. Sometimes i'll use my bath robe, but I find that it restricts my arms too much, making it hard to shave..

EDIT: Anyone for a B&B shave robe??? That would be cool!

I'm drawing a line here. No desire for a shaving jacket. Simple bath towel will do.

Don't you naked straight razor shavers have some sort of protective gear for when the lather is ultra slick? A deflector or something?

I stopped at a second hand store on the way home and asked if they had any shave coats.

The girl at the counter thought I meant this:

proxy.php

This seemed to set her aback somewhat, especially when I told her it was something I wanted to use in my den during my "me time".

Once I got it across that I wanted something like this:

proxy.php

She pointed me towards the a section where they keep men's robes. They all looked like this:

proxy.php

Note the differences...long sleeves on the robe, terry or other thick and absorbent material.

Who knew that this would be such a tough informational nut to crack?

This page has an interesting article that mentions Victorian shave coats, but the illustrations next to the shave coat section are labelled as "smoking jackets".

BTW, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that shaving in the buff is too....well, let's just say it sounds drafty. :blushing:

+1

Nekkidness and straight razors don't go together. At all. Ever. :blink:

A DE, well that probably wouldn't sever too much, but I still prefer my towel wrap.

Wimp!

If you lean up against the counter, the straight can do limited damage. :biggrin1:

Just don't try to catch it if it falls. (Don't ask me why I know.)

It seems to me that to fully understand the use of such an item we would need to place it in the context of its use. Prior to indoor plumbing,( and heating systems) I can see how the robe would protect ones clothing while shaving with a tradition scuttle and a straight.

And yet, upon some further digging through newspaper archives, the most hits for the term "shave coat" come up during the 1960's. It's entirely possible that prior to then it was an item for the upper crust, and therefore not advertised widely in newspapers.

Here are two ads, one from 1961, the other from 1962. Note the buttons and belt, colorful trim and short sleeves. They are absorbent terry, while most of the ones I've seen for sale as vintage are cotton or silk (I don't think cheap shave coats got saved!)

The ad copy says the deep pockets are to hold "bath and shaving accessories". Wonder what the one guy is splashing on?

proxy.php

A 1978 article on robes for Christmas touts the trend towards longer robes, and the "mini" or shave coat length is seen as "in the background" and losing popularity to the long robe.

Last edited:
Always have a towel wrapped around the waist, never know when the 10yo daughter may come in unannounced. I also use a bathrobe on occasion, especially when it is cold. Recently picked up a nice robe on clearance at Restoration Hardware.

Jeff

Given the geometry of the strop, the razor and the critical anatomy of the man stropping the razor in the video I would suggest a kevlar bathrobe. Personally, I usually get out of the shower, put on a terry cloth bathrobe and commence the shave.

I stopped at a second hand store on the way home and asked if they had any shave coats.

The girl at the counter thought I meant this:

proxy.php

This seemed to set her aback somewhat, especially when I told her it was something I wanted to use in my den during my "me time".

I'm sure it did! Lacking a shave coat is understandable, but a gentleman admitting he lacks his "me time" goat? :lol:

Top Bottom