What's new

shaving against the grain- help!

Hi Guys,
Ive had my DE razor for a few months now and its fantastic. I want to start shaving against the grain (upwards) after my third pass. Would like some tips or suggestions as I really dont want to cut myself..... Im paranoid I will when going against the grain... I have never been comfortable attempting this but I think its time. So feel free to drop a line....:biggrin:

I think atg is different for everyone as their stubble is different, direction of hair etc, i only go against the grain once a week, sometimes twice if i miss a day shaving and its on the 4th pass and i do what i do on the other 3, take my time, apply no pressure, get correct angle, good prep and i am lucky my skin can take a atg, others will give far better advice than mine so all i can add is good luck when you try.

if you havent cut yourself yet then you dont need to worry, just remember to keep your angles good and no pressure.

good luck!

For me, I have to use a bit of 'authority' when shaving against the grain. It isn't really pressure per se but I can't have any hesitation in my stroke when going ATG. If I try to use a really, really light touch and act hesitantly the razor just catches and snags. That's just me though. :biggrin:

G

gone down south

You don't have to go 180 degrees right off the bat..... work up to it slowly with modified xtgs, slowly increasing the angle as you get more comfortable. Personally, my final pass is somewhere at 150 or 160 degrees on my lips and chin, I get better results that way.

You don't have to go 180 degrees right off the bat..... work up to it slowly with modified xtgs, slowly increasing the angle as you get more comfortable. Personally, my final pass is somewhere at 150 or 160 degrees on my lips and chin, I get better results that way.

+1
Especially on difficult areas, like mustache area and maybe your neck.

For me, I have to use a bit of 'authority' when shaving against the grain. It isn't really pressure per se but I can't have any hesitation in my stroke when going ATG. If I try to use a really, really light touch and act hesitantly the razor just catches and snags. That's just me though. :biggrin:

Yep, I noticed this today when going ATG. Was going to post a thread asking if this was normal - clearly it is! A good solid stroke cuts the hair without applying pressure and eliminates skipping.

+2 on there being 360 degrees to a circle. There's a few places where I get better results attacking twice from 150 and 210 degrees instead of directly ATG at 180. Not all over, though. Sideburns are especially easy at 180.

Also, it's not cutting yourself that should worry you, but razor burn from being too... uhm... authoritative. You might find you get closer using a lighter touch.

It is slightly harder to maintain the proper blade angle when the razor is inverted. However, since you apparently know what the proper blade angle is, you know what to work towards.
I find shaving ATG on the left side of my face in my sideburn area is the hardest (I'm right handed), just because it's harder to keep the right angle.

One tip: Make sure you have a sharp, fresh blade before trying ATG. A dull blade will nick you.

I do an ATG on my 3rd pass. I squeeze some lather from the brush and apply it with my fingers on the spots that are prone to nicks/razor burn. Then I wait a min. or so before lathering again with the brush. Then I do my ATG with no pressure other than the weight of the razor. For any rough spots left I then do some water cleanup using blade buffing/chopping, again with no pressure. You may need a few times of doing ATG to allow your face to adjust to the ATG. Just go slow and easy, good luck. :tongue: :wink: :001_rolle

I only go ATG on my neck on great occasions since it is the only way I encounter razor burn. ATG on my cheeks is no big deal and I can do this every time I shave without any ill consequences. Nevertheless, you can get a DFS without going ATG.

Find it hard to believe that you've actually been using a DE for that long and are scared of ATG :001_rolle

Its really not that bad, every time I shave I do ATG on the 3rd pass, if I didn't my face would look "Patchy".

I've only gone ATG once and will not be doing it again. That is a sure fire way for African American men like me to get ingrown hairs. I got a wonderful BBS shave going ATG but am paying for it now. I didn't find it terribly difficult going ATG. No pressure and no nicks or cuts. However, I found that a firm grip on your razor and a deliberate stroke are necessary to minimize/eliminate skipping.

Last edited:
I've only gone ATG once and will not be doing it again. That is a sure fire way for African American men like me to get ingrown hairs. I got a wonderful BBS shave going ATG but am paying for it now. I didn't find it terribly difficult going ATG. No pressure and no nicks or cuts. However, a firm grip on your razor and a deliberate stroke are necessary to minimize/eliminate skipping.

While I do agree that we Black men have a historically difficult time with ingrown hairs from incorrect shaving methods - not restricted to DE shaving or wetshaving of any kind - I do believe that shaving one's face is extremely personal and that we can all find our rhythm with patience and practice. I have been wetshaving for about a year now and DE shaving for the past eight months. I go ATG about once or twice a month and results have been 50/50 with regards to irritation and ingrowns. Sometimes I get such a perfect shave that my next shave comes to a clear face, and other times I have had to skip several days while I clear things up.
It is times like that when I really think of this as a hobby because I am challenged to recreate whatever it was that I did to get the perfect shave. Going ATG can definitely cause razor burn and ingrown hairs if not done perfectly for your skin and beard.
There is very little bad advice given here on B&B, but just because it is good advice does not make it good advice for all.
Basically, if you want to try going ATG, you have to be at least a little prepared for razor burn and possibly ingrown hairs to be a part of your learning curve. It may not happen, I certainly wish you well, but if it does happen that you get some irritation, don't let that put you off completely and forever.
To add my final 2 cents, I would never go ATG on a third pass. My preference is WTG, XTG, XTG and then, if my skin feels like it can take it and my lather is really good, ATG. Also, I don't do a complete face fourth pass. All of my face doesn't need a fourth pass, only those areas that clearly have stubble by touch and sight get that final pass. There is no need to remove skin where there is no stubble just because I have plenty of lather and a sharp blade.

Last edited:
The only thing I find even a little tricky about ATG is keeping the pressure super light. Going WTG and XTG, gravity and the weight of the razor do the work. ATG, well, it's in my semi-capable hands. So go slow, make sure the angle is right and use the bare minimum of pressure.

I make ATG my third and final pass. Not sure how the skin would do if it was Pass No. 4 ...

Top Bottom