What's new

Shavette suggestions

Hello. I'm currently using a safety razor, but want to learn to use a shavette. I think, for the immediate future, it would be best for me due to my budget constraints (when compared to a straight razor). I know the Feather is the most highly recommended, but beside the price, it uses longer, more expensive blades. I would rather just use the large amount of DE razor blades I already own. I have been looking at the following razors:

Univinlions Kamisori style razor ($11.99)

The Goodfellas' Smile Shibumi Kamisori Shavette ($20.41)

I know this isn't much of a budget to work with, but are these good choices or are there better ones within the same price range?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I wanted to add that it does not have to be Kamisori style, nor non-foldable. These are just a couple that looked good to me.

Thanks for the suggestion. I see lots of sellers and varying prices with all types of ratings. :lol1:

Qshave looks to be one of the more reputable stores selling it; they seem to have fairly high ratings. While looking on their site, I also say this razor:

Any experience with this one? I like the look, but the locking mechanism is different. Not sure if it is better, equal, or poorer. Thanks again.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In deciding on a DE half-blade shavette you first need to decide on your preferred blade holding method(s). Do some research on this first. Then and only then start looking a what is available.

After looking at the following,

I think the hinge type mechanism seems very convenient and easy (no breaking razors in half), but most reviews that I read on this style of razor state that the mechanism can slip, even with the screw tightened. I should say, the average was 4 out of 5 stars with the most complaints coming from the mechanism. I think this eliminates one of the razors I was looking at.

The pinch mechanism (as named in the link I provided) is the most widely used and seems fairly easy to operate.

The Goodfellas' Smile Shibumi Kamisori Shavette in my original post seems to use a slider method. It looks very easy to use; just slide the blade holder out, place blade on the blade holder, and then slide the holder back in.

The Univinlions Kamisori style razor in my original post looks as if you open a cover to place the blade, and then you snap the cover back on. Seems easy enough, but I saw a gentleman in a video who slightly struggled with it. Maybe it was just he was rushing to make the video.

Side note: I've read that the Kamisori style handle is harder to use due to lack of maneuverability, when compared to a swing back. Honestly though, I'm not sure how true that is since I've never held a straight razor.

Overall, I think the original recommendation by rbscera and the Shibumi are what I am narrowing it down to. The generic stainless steel shavette's price might make both possible.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Speaking "experientially" -- as someone who's a few shaves into the journey you're starting -- I have some recommendations.

I first picked up a Parker SRX. It's an all-stainless 1/2 DE barber razor, also not too expensive. My main problem with it was my technique wasn't good. I kept getting "corner sticks" from the blade corners. I dulled the corners on a hone, and that at least stopped the sticks but it still feels like too much fiddling.

I noticed that the Focus Slim Al has corner guards. Plus. It's aluminum, though. Minus, for me. It's also more expensive than the Parker. But I grabbed one and instantly started getting better shaves. It's probably the only aluminum razor I actually like.

I also picked up one of the Feather SS clones at Sally. I like it well enough, and it gave me the best shave of my life the other day, but I'm noticing some things about that bump they have. As a head shaver I have to get the spine up quite a ways to get the blade edge down on the skin where the curve of my skull goes "away" from the blade. I'll be trying a couple of "Luffy" versions which reportedly have a smaller bump. I may eventually look at a Feather DX or similar bumpless barber razor.

So the main recommendation is to start with a Focus Slim. Corner guards and an edge guide make it very user-friendly even for newbies. It gives you a little help in using it, which allows you (or me, anyway) to develop technique without having to fear the consequences of stumbling around developing technique.

Frankly, save the clones, knock-offs and rip-offs until you've got technique that can accommodate them. I'm going to revisit the SRX for today, just to see how it goes.

O.H.

Speaking "experientially" -- as someone who's a few shaves into the journey you're starting -- I have some recommendations.

I first picked up a Parker SRX. It's an all-stainless 1/2 DE barber razor, also not too expensive. My main problem with it was my technique wasn't good. I kept getting "corner sticks" from the blade corners. I dulled the corners on a hone, and that at least stopped the sticks but it still feels like too much fiddling.

I noticed that the Focus Slim Al has corner guards. Plus. It's aluminum, though. Minus, for me. It's also more expensive than the Parker. But I grabbed one and instantly started getting better shaves. It's probably the only aluminum razor I actually like.

I also picked up one of the Feather SS clones at Sally. I like it well enough, and it gave me the best shave of my life the other day, but I'm noticing some things about that bump they have. As a head shaver I have to get the spine up quite a ways to get the blade edge down on the skin where the curve of my skull goes "away" from the blade. I'll be trying a couple of "Luffy" versions which reportedly have a smaller bump. I may eventually look at a Feather DX or similar bumpless barber razor.

So the main recommendation is to start with a Focus Slim. Corner guards and an edge guide make it very user-friendly even for newbies. It gives you a little help in using it, which allows you (or me, anyway) to develop technique without having to fear the consequences of stumbling around developing technique.

Frankly, save the clones, knock-offs and rip-offs until you've got technique that can accommodate them. I'm going to revisit the SRX for today, just to see how it goes.

O.H.
Thanks for the info and recommendation. I'm also a head shaver and do so with my safety razor currently. I'm assuming that you use/used the Focus Slim for your head also. Is it much more difficult to use for this purpose when compared to a safety razor?

I was considering getting a Feather knock off, but I've heard only the Feather blades are worth the money (other brands, especially generic Chinese ones are nowhere as good in quality nor sharpness). This, unfortunately seems a little cost prohibitive if the blade only lasts one or two shaves; this is inclusive of shaving my head as well as my face in one shaving session). I've heard that these blades last longer than DEs, but I'm not sure these calculations consider head shaving.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by bumpless razor? I know the dimensions of the Feather and the imitations aren't, perhaps, exact, but what bump are you describing?

Thanks again for all the info.

Check on @m@z0n a brand Facon....they have w 1/2 de and also w feather blades....since you are experimenting....this is a cheap way to start..... 1/2 DE is a bit hard to load for me......

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm assuming that you use/used the Focus Slim for your head also. Is it much more difficult to use for this purpose when compared to a safety razor?

Yes, I use it to shave my head. I actually look kinda like my avatar over there, Mr. Natural. :)

The angles are different because of how the razor is held. You might profit from spending a little time just trying an unloaded razor to see "if I want to shave this I have to hold the razor in that hand and move it like so..."

A couple of things I find with barber straights vs. safety razors (YMMV) is that "reduction" is the name of the game, not "shaving" per se. That is to say I find that while I can get a 2-pass shave with the same blade (Astra SP in a slant, Kai Mild Pink in an AC razor) I need to plan for more passes with either a 1/2 DE or AC format barber straight.

I'm speculating that's because the comb or bar on a safety razor does a pretty good job stretching the skin or at least keeping it from bunching in front of the edge. A comfortable amount of pressure for my slants is too much for a naked edge. Less pressure leads to narrower shaved strips, meaning more strokes to shave highly curved areas.

Another thing is that I really do shave differently with a barber straight. I do two WTG passes, both with some fairly firm skin stretching. That takes enough off that the first ATG pass doesn't get "hung up in the weeds" trying to chop down the hair. I'll do two ATG passes as well. Usually I find that the first ATG doesn't seem to take much off (from feeling my head) but there's "pepper" in the lather on the razor. The second pass leaves a bit of cleanup behind, but once I'm there it's a downhill roll. I'm still figuring out stretching angles, but I can report that even on a head with fairly tight skin it's a gamechanger.

I still prefer to keep a slant loaded for getting around my ears. It's difficult simultaneously hold my ear out of the way and stretch the skin, so I'm opting for a simple solution. I'll keep my eyes open for new ideas but I'm not too wrapped around it.

I've heard only the Feather blades are worth the money...

Well, I was just thinking that I like Feather-style barber straights but the blades don't excite me a bit. I have played a bit with AC format safety razors and so had a few types of blades around: Feather Pro, Feather ProGuard, Kai ProTouch MG and Kai Mild Pink.

The Feather Pro is sharp but doesn't hold it long. I crossed that one off. The Feather ProGuard is OK but because it's guarded I couldn't really get much edge feel. Crossed that one off. Pretty much ditto for the Kai ProTouch, which has twice the guard wires as Feather, and felt rough and dull. Cross that on off! Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink is a great blade for me. I'm coming up on Shave 4 for the one I'm using at the moment. In my AC safety razor I can get 9 head shaves out of one, easy. (DE blades usually get 5 or 6 for me.)

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by bumpless razor? I know the dimensions of the Feather and the imitations aren't, perhaps, exact, but what bump are you describing?

The Feather SS has a bump, lip or swelling along the edge of the blade clamp that helps to stretch the skin a bit. The Feather DX does not have the lip and many people who have used both say the DX is more like a trad straight because you can use a more acute angle. My Sally SS clone has the lip, which is useful. I just received a Kai Kasho Woody, which also has the lip but it's smaller. I understand that Feather has a fairly new "Super-Razor" that also has a smaller lip.

I haven't used the Woody yet, so I can't report. As I said earlier, I shaved today with the Parker SRX, which was a pretty good shave now that I'm starting to get a handle on technique.

O.H.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello. I'm currently using a safety razor, but want to learn to use a shavette. I think, for the immediate future, it would be best for me due to my budget constraints (when compared to a straight razor). I know the Feather is the most highly recommended, but beside the price, it uses longer, more expensive blades. I would rather just use the large amount of DE razor blades I already own. I have been looking at the following razors:
I just recently started to shave with Kai style AC shavette and to be honest it was a good choice because you can use the Guarded blades. When I got the the razor and blades from Ali__press they sent the wrong blades(normal regular AC blades) and they were not very forgiving and right away ordred some Kai Protouch guarded blades. You will be a whole lot happier with the Feather Proguard or Kai Protouch guarded blades IMO.
If any one says they are not very good blades they just do not know what they are talking about, they are the most high rated blade by either manufacture for sharpness and are forgiving of operator error. Some folks say shavettes are harder to use than normal straight razor because a straight can be sharpened to the owners liking where a shavette you are using the naked edge to the extreme sharpness.
What I did when I was waiting for my Protouch guarded blades to arrive I practiced by turning a AC blade backwards with sharp edge inwards to the clamp and did mock shaves just to figure how to hold the razor properly and the reversed blade sounds like cutting so to read the audio feed back and not getting cut. I did that for a week while waiting and figured it out with no serious issues when the blades arrived.
As a person gets his skill honed you will enjoy other blades possibly, naked edge blades are not forgiving and hand skills have to be top notch IMO.
I like using my Shavette once a week and I have a larger razor rotation that I enjoy also. Might as well enjoy your shave with a AC guarded blade IMO.
You can get this high end hardware for around $30 us(Razor & blades), buy your blades from Maggards or WCS or ............ is my suggestion. The blade is really what makes the shave in my opinion, buy a folding razor because you can use it like a Kamisori and manipulate it any way you want IMO.
There are fellows here who have a lot more experience with Shavettes than this greenhorn but I know you have to at least enjoy it.
Kai Luffy style folding shavette- Mfg- 2017--.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Last edited:

Univinlions Kamisori style razor ($11.99)

The Goodfellas' Smile Shibumi Kamisori Shavette ($20.41)

I know this isn't much of a budget to work with, but are these good choices or are there better ones within the same price range?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
I think you will like either one of these. The Univinlions loading mechanism is similar to Feather Artist Club razors, though the AC blade might be a little easier to slide in/out.

While I do not have a Goodfella, I like the Univinlions design a little bit better since there is no plastic sleeve to slide in/out. Instead a metal spring is provides the clamping force to hold the blade. YMMV

Id personally go Parker if it were me. Theres a great number of cheap shavettes out there but many of the really cheap options just arent very good.
Id go Parker or if you want to go cheap maybe go on Amazon and get something like a Facon. Id also suggest trying a mild blade at first, something like a Shark or a Lord. DE shavettes are no joke and its very easy to nick yourself while youre learning with them.

Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink is a great blade for me. I'm coming up on Shave 4 for the one I'm using at the moment. In my AC safety razor I can get 9 head shaves out of one, easy. (DE blades usually get 5 or 6 for me.)
Thanks for all the info. It certainly makes me believe I can master using a straight or shavette razor for shaving my head with time and practice. I'm not sure how you get 5 or 6 head shaves out of your DEs, since I get one per side when I shave. Any more than that and I start to feel tugging. I use Treet razors, so that could be the reason. Supposedly they are milder than others. If I could get 9 shaves from one AC, it would be a no-brainer. I just can't imagine that being the case with my luck. lol

What I did when I was waiting for my Protouch guarded blades to arrive I practiced by turning a AC blade backwards with sharp edge inwards to the clamp and did mock shaves just to figure how to hold the razor properly and the reversed blade sounds like cutting so to read the audio feed back and not getting cut. I did that for a week while waiting and figured it out with no serious issues when the blades arrived.
I never thought about that. I know the pinching action helps keep the blade from falling out, but aren't there notches in the razor to keep it aligned? Would this ruin the blade or prevent it from being properly held in place?

I've seen the Facon mentioned several times, but looking at their webpage, I'm not sure which is most suitable for a newb like myself. A few I looked at (going of the aesthetics since most are all the same price), I noticed the description said something like this:

• ELITE STYLE - Swing lock blade insert, razor is exposed 25% higher designed for smooth shaving experience
I'm not sure if fully understand, but I thought the more the blade is exposed (for safety razors at least) the more aggressive it is. That seems a little more of the opposite of "smooth shave" to me, considering it could to more cuts, nicks, or razor burn.

I've also seen a few mentions for the parker, but I read something from someone that really turned me from considering it. I just can't remember what it was. Oh well, I'll have to go back and find what I read.

...I've seen the Facon mentioned several times, but looking at their webpage, I'm not sure which is most suitable for a newb like myself.

The plain teardrop style is a reasonable, basic one to get. It has most of the desirable qualities for this style. Most advertising copy is just empty noise.

1614413023090.png

I've also seen a few mentions for the parker, but I read something from someone that really turned me from considering it. I just can't remember what it was. Oh well, I'll have to go back and find what I read.
I have read more than one person complain that the Parker with metal scales was a bit too heavy, while in comparison the plastic scaled version was liked.

Whatever razor you choose these are inexpensive enough that you might want to try a couple of different ones to see which feels best to you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for all the info. It certainly makes me believe I can master using a straight or shavette razor for shaving my head with time and practice. I'm not sure how you get 5 or 6 head shaves out of your DEs, since I get one per side when I shave. Any more than that and I start to feel tugging. I use Treet razors, so that could be the reason. Supposedly they are milder than others. If I could get 9 shaves from one AC, it would be a no-brainer. I just can't imagine that being the case with my luck. lol

I never thought about that. I know the pinching action helps keep the blade from falling out, but aren't there notches in the razor to keep it aligned? Would this ruin the blade or prevent it from being properly held in place?

I've seen the Facon mentioned several times, but looking at their webpage, I'm not sure which is most suitable for a newb like myself. A few I looked at (going of the aesthetics since most are all the same price), I noticed the description said something like this:

• ELITE STYLE - Swing lock blade insert, razor is exposed 25% higher designed for smooth shaving experience
I'm not sure if fully understand, but I thought the more the blade is exposed (for safety razors at least) the more aggressive it is. That seems a little more of the opposite of "smooth shave" to me, considering it could to more cuts, nicks, or razor burn.

Not sure this photo will answer your question, there is amble spring tension to hold blade if that is a concern. I like this Shavette razor.
Shavette understanding collage.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Not sure this photo will answer your question, there is amble spring tension to hold blade if that is a concern. I like this Shavette razor.
View attachment 1229516
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!
Thanks for the photos. I thought the round dots were posts, but the more I look, the more they appear to be like markings from a cast/mold. That's a nice looking razor. I like the color. Thanks again.

So after more research into shaving my head with a shavette, it seems that most people think that the Feather SS or the Kai Luffy(?) are the best, bar none. Both are relatively safer, while still providing an excellent, smooth shave. They are quite expensive though, and the Kai is extremely hard to find. Are there any decent generic/clones that have a similar "lip" at the blade end of the razor? Most I've seen are more like the DX and the Captains.

Top Bottom